Oahu for a couple days

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Oahu for a couple days

Post by jtaylor23 »

I'll be in Oahu for a couple days diving ( with my daughters marriage somewhere in there). Any advice?
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin' dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Oahu for a couple days

Post by ArcticDiver »

Search on "Oahu".

Don't let diving interfere with why you are there.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

Don't let a little diving sarcasm force you into lame judgment about what's important in my life. Sheesh!!! :rofl:
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin' dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I think diving on Oahu is a bit lame... but there are a couple wrecks worth seeing.

All the boats there are largely the same. Don't dive with Dive Oahu. I was so scared by their operation I paid to sit out the second dive.

Where are you staying?

Aloha hard,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

If you can tear yourself away I always enjoy the Makaha Caverns. That can be a shore dive but probably easiest with Ocean Concepts or Capt Bruce. Both excellent operations. Almost always sharks and turtles. Lots of littler thingies around. Electric beach is nice but last time I was in that area there looked to be too many two legged vultures for my taste. One of the other people told me they had their car ransacked while they were diving.
KirkT
Getting To Know Folks

Post by KirkT »

If Oahu isn't that great for diving, then are there any Hawaiian islands that have good diving? I've never been to the islands but I just assumed that there was decent diving there.
What medical travel insurance plan is good for international diving?
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

jtaylor23 wrote:Don't let a little diving sarcasm force you into lame judgment about what's important in my life. Sheesh!!! :rofl:
Sorry. Recently, in another venue, a guy did just that; put his recreation ahead of his daughter's wedding. So, you just triggered the mindset he created.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

KirkT wrote:If Oahu isn't that great for diving, then are there any Hawaiian islands that have good diving? I've never been to the islands but I just assumed that there was decent diving there.

Well...I very much like Hawaiian diving. I'm there at least a couple times a year. But, I have learned there are personal preferences and there are what I call Dive Snobs. "If you haven't been to XXXXXXX you haven't really dived." Or, "You dive in YYYYYY, are you nuts? Much better diving at ZZZZZ"

Give it a shot. It may not be your thing. But,again, it might.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

ArcticDiver wrote:
KirkT wrote:If Oahu isn't that great for diving, then are there any Hawaiian islands that have good diving? I've never been to the islands but I just assumed that there was decent diving there.

Well...I very much like Hawaiian diving. I'm there at least a couple times a year. But, I have learned there are personal preferences and there are what I call Dive Snobs. "If you haven't been to XXXXXXX you haven't really dived." Or, "You dive in YYYYYY, are you nuts? Much better diving at ZZZZZ"

Give it a shot. It may not be your thing. But,again, it might.
Depends on what you consider good diving... and/or how hard you're willing to work get in the water :) Are your ankles strong?

Diving here is not all like the Cayman Islands or Roatan. And yes... the diving on Oahu is kinda sucky.. especially if you have spent any time in the Caribbean diving.

Aloha hard,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

jtaylor23 wrote:I'll be in Oahu for a couple days diving ( with my daughters marriage somewhere in there). Any advice?
Depending on where you're staying (I was nearby and did about 15 days of diving with them in February) I found http://www.oceanconcepts.com/ to be good times. Yeah, Oahu is not considered "the best" but you're going to be there and it's better than here!

They have a boat that launches from Waianae: http://www.oceanconcepts.com/diving/boa ... ts_waianae around 8ish AM. It's on the West Shore, a ways north so if you're saying in Waikiki, it's a bit of a haul: about an hour.

-Dennis