Lobster Shop Wall 03.01.07

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Lobster Shop Wall 03.01.07

Post by sandman98007 »

A wonderful night for a dive on Lobster shop wall. Kirby and I splashed at 20:00 and made our way to the wall. Lot’s of critters out and about. Hit the top of the wall at 90 feet and went on down. Max depth was 147 and the total dive time was 64 minutes. Vis at depth was 20-30 feet. Life was everywhere. A wonderful time.

Here is a photo show… check out the King shrimp and the almost white sailfin sculpin. This is also my first frosted tipped nudie…. Love it.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/AP4DV9tt

Please enjoy.

Tim
It's ALL good in the world today ......
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Those are nice pictures. Are those picutures seemingly taken on the bottom, taken at 147 fsw? Or they were from on top of the wall? Or where???

Rich
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

The majority were from 100fsw on up, but the frosted nudie was at about 120 fsw..... the life was all up and down the wall..... did not take many pictures at depth ..... concentrating on the more improtant stuff.....
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Great pictures! Diver_C and I were there 3 weeks ago and saw 1 ratfish.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nic pics! I've never much liked Lobster Shop Wall... good for going deeper than I normally choose to go.

Any idea what the white, round "pea-shaped" critters are?

AND, is that a Clown Shrimp on the side? That would be a nice find if it is!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:
Tom Nic wrote: Any idea what the white, round "pea-shaped" critters are?
Those are eggs. I believe that they are Stubby squid eggs, to be exact! Rossia pacifica

- John
Cool! Never seen them! Was the shrimp in that pic clear enough for you to ID, John?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote: Any idea what the white, round "pea-shaped" critters are?
Those are eggs. I believe that they are Stubby squid eggs, to be exact! Rossia pacifica

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom Nic wrote: Was the shrimp in that pic clear enough for you to ID, John?
Nope! The shot is taken from directly above the shrimp looking downward so it is impossible to see the body contours from the side.

Still, I'm thinking that it could be member of the Eualid family - a Striped eualid (Eualus lineatus), a Townsend's eualid (Eualus townsendi), or a Shortscale eualid (Eualus suckleyi)

Heck....it could even be a Threespine shrimp (Heptacarpus tridens). Without a side view it's pretty tough for me to tell.

On some of these shrimp species you'd need a microscope to be certain.

One thing that it is NOT, however, is a "Clown shrimp" (Lebbeus grandimanus) since there is no indication whatsoever of yellow and blue bands along with the red ones on the body, which are the unmistakable distinguishing feature of that species.

Man! I love this stuff! :book:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:
Tom Nic wrote: Was the shrimp in that pic clear enough for you to ID, John?
Man! I love this stuff! :book:

- John
Yeah, me too, although I'm only beginning. The shrimp in the pic just seemed way more colorful than most of the ones I've ever seen, and I thought I could see bands on the body.
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

well, from what I can compare to Andy Lambs book, it is either a Spiny Lebbeid, ot a Cataleptic shrimp. I shot that one at 110fsw. You can just make out the up turned tail, and there dose appear to be some stripping... need to work on my exposers, but I will wait till I am shallower to make those fine adjustments. I did forget to mention in my post that this was a night dive. We splashed at 8:00 pm. Kirdy says that he never sees anything during the day, only at night.... i believe he is right.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Is a Cataleptic Shrimp an arthropod that has seizures around felines?

:la:

-Valerie
sandman98007
Avid Diver

Post by sandman98007 »

I have no Idea.... But with his tail in the air.... anything is possible