DIY custom hoses.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
airsix
I've Got Gills

DIY custom hoses.

Post by airsix »

Warning: I will not be held liable for any injury, death, loss of property, or disappointment which may occur as a result of this thread inspiring you to do something stupid. Do not go anywhere near your scuba equipment with a knife or a wrench unless you are prepared to take full responsibility for your actions and promise that you and anyone who likes you (or thinks they can profit from your death) will leave me out of it if you do. Whatever happens, it's your fault, good or bad. If you do not agree to these terms you may not read further. If you agree, then read on.

Yes, that was me not too long ago. Ok, up until a few hours ago actually.
But now my kit looks like this:

Backstory: I have older Apeks regulators with the huge 1/2" primary port. To improve my hose routing I wanted to flip my regulator over. I couldn't do this without a new 7' hose with a 3/8" fitting. I also needed to shave several inches off my suit inflation and wing inflation hoses. Being inflicted with DIY dorkiness I couldn't help trying to find some bare fittings and crimp collars. I thought that if I could find the fittings and collars I could make up my own hoses and then just take them down to the local hose & fittings shop to have them crimped (dies are expensive). While I was searching on-line for the fittings and collars I discovered something even better.

Ambient Pressure makes THIS screw-on, re-usable 3/8" hose fitting. I had never heard of these fittings before, but they are apparently well known and widely used in Europe and among the rebreather crowd. You might raise an eyebrow at the idea of a screw-on fitting, but having worked with other similar high-pressure screw-on fittings (such as Aeroquip) in racing and aviation I don't have any reservations about using them. In fact AP claims to have manufactured over 1MM units with not a single reported failure.

A quick "How it works": The fitting is made of two pieces. The outer collar functions like the crimp collar on a standard fitting, however the inside diameter is threaded. The threads are a steep reverse (left-hand) pitch and very deep. The fitting end has a long nipple and standard right-hand threads. When the two pieces are assembled with a hose sandwiched between it forms a very secure mechanical lock. The hose is gripped on both the inside and outside by threads which are pitched in opposite directions. It isn't going anywhere.

Here's a few shots of the assembly process. First you need a hose that's too long, and an AP hose fitting which you can buy HERE.

Next use a sharp knife to squarely cut off the unwanted length of hose. Don't cut off the wrong end and don't cut it too short. If you aren't sure about the length then cut it a bit long and try it. Remember, this is a re-usable fitting. You can take it off and shorten the hose further if needed.

Now thread the collar onto the freshly cut hose end. Remember, the collar has reverse threads (left-hand). Forget righty-tighty. This one is lefty-tighty. Thread it on until the hose bottoms out. If you turn it too far you'll see the bottom of the hose start to deform against the base of the hole. Back it off a bit if it does this. Bottom it out, but don't deform it. It should look like this:

Now the fitting end can be threaded into the collar. Make sure the threads are lined up properly. A good way to do this is to insert the male end and slowly turn it anti-clockwise until you feel a click. That click is the thread terminations slipping off one another. Stop, and begin turning clockwise. The threads should mesh perfectly. But be careful just in case. Like all things scuba these pieces are just soft brass with a thin candy shell.

When you feel the fitting bottom out against the shoulder of the collar make it snug and you're done.

With 3 of these I was able to convert my regulator from 1/2" to a standard 3/8" fitting and take almost a combined 12" off my suit and wing inflation hoses.

So much cleaner, and much easier to reach my valve too.

So there you go. A custom length hose for $17, and no special tools required. And if your hose ever starts to abraid at the collar edge (what usually happens) just dissasemble, cut off 3/4" and reassemble. If the hose is too short just grab a stock hose (cheap), cut it down to the desired length, and re-use your re-usable AP fitting.

Happy diving.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: DIY custom hoses.

Post by Dusty2 »

Good info Ben
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

awesome write up, ben. thanks!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

You're soooo gonna die. :angelblue:

Hmmm... Custom length SM hoses inflator hoses?

Excellent write up Ben, thanks.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Awesome gear tip, thanks. I may not need the info today... but the world is a better place with these reusable fittings in it.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Nwbrewer wrote:You're soooo gonna die. :angelblue:
I'm surprised he wasn't killed assembling this nonsense! :smt064
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Fishstiq wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:You're soooo gonna die. :angelblue:
I'm surprised he wasn't killed assembling this nonsense! :smt064
After a dozen dives with you I lost all fear of death. :laugh:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:First you need a hose that's too long, and an AP hose fitting which you can buy HERE.
wow, shipping is expensive! $30 just to mail a couple of fittings...

anyone want to go in on an order and save some $ on shipping charges?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:
airsix wrote:First you need a hose that's too long, and an AP hose fitting which you can buy HERE.
wow, shipping is expensive! $30 just to mail a couple of fittings...

WTF? Are they shipping them from the moon?

I canceled an order for a rebuild kit the other day. Cost of kit $18. Cost of shipping $10. ummm No. It's o-rings and a diaphragm. Put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: DIY custom hoses.

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:wow, shipping is expensive! $30 just to mail a couple of fittings...

Yes. Let me peruse the site for a minute and I'll get a couple.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: DIY custom hoses.

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:
spatman wrote:wow, shipping is expensive! $30 just to mail a couple of fittings...

Yes. Let me peruse the site for a minute and I'll get a couple.
cool. we have a few people interested now, which should knock the shipping down to a few bucks each.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

FedEx shipping on my order was $14.55 for a bag of four. Definitely not cheap, but not $30.
spatman
I've Got Gills

DIY custom hoses.

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:FedEx shipping on my order was $14.55 for a bag of four. Definitely not cheap, but not $30.
I went to the link you provided above and added 2 of those adapters to the cart. When I entered my shipping info, the cheapest shipping was $30.

I'll email you a screenshot.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ok, i called the folks at Silent Diving, and they say we can get the cheaper ground rate if we call in the order. i'd like to get this in within the next few days, so if anyone's still interested in some of these fittings, PM or email me soon.