Wrist mounted cutting tool

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

For those of you who wear a cutting tool/device on your forearm, which model do you like and how do you mount it?
Geek
Pelagic

Re: Wrist mounted cutting tool

Post by Geek »

If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I can't recall the brand, but Curt was selling these really slick line cutters out of the silent scuba booth at the expo. They cut through nylon line like a hot knife through butter. I mounted it right to the wrist strap on my Shearwater.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I never even thought about mounting a cutter on my forarm I got so much other stuff on there already, is it very common?
Last edited by Geek on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

It's fun trying to reach the DIR position for your knife when in SM huh?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I met and dived with Christian Norman last week. He was wearing a really slick wrist mounted line cutter and as soon as I can track it down I'll let you know. It takes an off-the-shelf carpet knife blade so it's cheap and easy to keep sharp, is very low profile (maybe 3/16" thick) and deploys extremely easily. I liked it A LOT.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:It's fun trying to reach the DIR position for your knife when in SM huh?
haha, yeah. i can get the knife out, but putting it back in the sheath will likely result in a stab wound to the abdomen.

airsix wrote:I met and dived with Christian Norman last week. He was wearing a really slick wrist mounted line cutter and as soon as I can track it down I'll let you know. It takes an off-the-shelf carpet knife blade so it's cheap and easy to keep sharp, is very low profile (maybe 3/16" thick) and deploys extremely easily. I liked it A LOT.
if you liked it, i'll like it. let me know what you find out.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:I met and dived with Christian Norman last week. He was wearing a really slick wrist mounted line cutter and as soon as I can track it down I'll let you know. It takes an off-the-shelf carpet knife blade so it's cheap and easy to keep sharp, is very low profile (maybe 3/16" thick) and deploys extremely easily. I liked it A LOT.
was it this one, ben?

http://eezycut.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:It's fun trying to reach the DIR position for your knife when in SM huh?
haha, yeah. i can get the knife out, but putting it back in the sheath will likely result in a stab wound to the abdomen.
Slitting your wrists is faster and less painful than NWDC too.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:
Why? Does SM pull on you differently, so you can't reach the sheath?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:
spatman wrote:
Why? Does SM pull on you differently, so you can't reach the sheath?
the tanks in your armpits make it a little cumbersome to reach the belt. when i get things adjusted better, that might change...
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:
was it this one, ben?

That's the same one that Curt was selling and Josh mentioned above. Like him, I mounted mine on my Shearwater strap - completely out of the way, unobtrusive, but easily and quickly available.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

John Rawlings wrote:
spatman wrote:
was it this one, ben?

That's the same one that Curt was selling and Josh mentioned above. Like him, I mounted mine on my Shearwater strap - completely out of the way, unobtrusive, but easily and quickly available.

- John
Yep, that's the one I was talking about as well. Christian had his on the underside of his forearm. I just watched the product video and am surprised they didn't feature the sheath/velcro tab combo. It's a really great design for securing and deploying.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll give that one a try.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll give that one a try.
You might contact Curt McNamee - I'm sure that he'd be happy to mail you one if he still has some in stock. I live only about a mile from his place, so as an alternative I'd be happy to pick one up for you and bring it to you at the club dive....

They will fit almost anywhere. If I remember correctly, when you buy you get a choice of two different sized sheath openings for different sized straps.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

John Rawlings wrote:
spatman wrote:
was it this one, ben?

- John
I want one! Could have used it yesterday. Damn fishermen :angry: leaving line everywhere!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

John Rawlings wrote:You might contact Curt McNamee - I'm sure that he'd be happy to mail you one if he still has some in stock. I live only about a mile from his place, so as an alternative I'd be happy to pick one up for you and bring it to you at the club dive....
thanks, john, i'll send curt a message. unfortunately, i won't be at the club dive, so i'll ask him to mail it to me.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Wrist mounted cutting tool

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:
spatman wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll give that one a try.
You might contact Curt McNamee - I'm sure that he'd be happy to mail you one if he still has some in stock. I live only about a mile from his place, so as an alternative I'd be happy to pick one up for you and bring it to you at the club dive....

They will fit almost anywhere. If I remember correctly, when you buy you get a choice of two different sized sheath openings for different sized straps.

- John
Yep! 2 big thumbs-up for this little critter. It's a great piece of gear, and I really like the wrist mount thing.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

I've been carrying a hook knife on my waist strap for a long time: http://www.paragear.com/templates/parac ... 10&level=1. They've got styles for every preference of size and cutting surface area. In my case, I happened to have had a spare one from my skydiving gear, which I used to keep on my chest strap in case of a reserve deployment with a fubar'd line. (Sadly, 400+ jumps, and never had to pull my reserve chute...I'm an anal retentive parachute packer...) When I switched my rig, the new parachute container came with one on the leg strap, so it was surplus. It's served me very well.

Hook knives (like the EZ Cut) in general are far better than crappy sliced-down steak knives, most general dive knives, etc, because they catch the line and hold it, making slicing through cord a single handed operation. Good stuff, and it's virtually impossible to cut what you don't intend to by the very design of the unit. They're also super cheap. I'm not so sure I like the "replaceable blade" on the EZCut - only because it's so cheap to just replace the whole unit on something in this style. If it starts to rust, I just throw it away and replace the whole thing...no chance of the plastic getting brittle and breaking, the unit falling apart, etc.

I don't know that I personally like strapping one to my arm... I use mine on my belt as the waist mounted line cutter. I just think arm mounting gives you a very un-clean look to the gear config. If you want something close to your hand, as a backup cutting device, I personally think a better choice is the little Tekna knives - the Xtra Edge http://www.techdivinglimited.com/index. ... _id=102488. This knife tucks easily and smartly into the Goodman handle of your dive light, mounted with a single screw/nut pair as a rotating hinge, and it is always ready to go when you have your light in your hand.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I like mine on my wrist for when I do HALO jumps into the ocean at night with my sniper rifle when people are shooting at me.

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Let me know next time you want to try it. I'm game, although I think the sniper rifle might be a little excessive...I mean, those cabezons are pretty mean SOBs, but a swift whack with a stage bottle usually sends them screaming for mama without the need for large caliber firearms...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

camerone wrote:.I mean, those cabezons are pretty mean SOBs, but a swift whack with a stage bottle usually sends them screaming for mama without the need for large caliber firearms...
I guess you haven't talked to Fishstiq lately, yesterday he was claiming that he shot this an oversize sculpin in self defense.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver