Aqualung "ABS Octopus" - cold water question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Aqualung "ABS Octopus" - cold water question

Post by RoxnDox »

Hi all. I went to the big sale at LDS last weekend and dropped some money on a regulator, etc setup to start my own gear collection. One of the pieces I ended up with was the Aqualung ABS Octopus, as a mid-range secondary air supply piece. Then I get home and read thru the info sheets inside the box, and discover the notice saying "don't use this in cold water (under 50F)"... Well, the two guys who had been showing me items and helping select appropriate pieces had mentioned cold water suitability for the regulator, but nothing was said about the octopus component. Since I plan to use the setup here in the Sound, I sure don't want to have a piece of gear I can't trust... :angry:

So, my question is - better to go back and try to swap the octo for a more suitable model at whatever terms I can negotiate? Or is the 50F 'limit' such a conservative one that it's not a concern here?

Inquiring minds want to know :-)

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Aqualung "ABS Octopus" - cold water question

Post by Nwbrewer »

I wouldn't be too concerned with the 50degree "limit", but I'd still go try and get something else.

Those slim little octo's seem good in theory, but they're not as easy breathing as a traditional 2nd stage (at least in my experience with them). It probably wouldn't cost that much more to get something like an apex xtx20 or something that's going to be a far more suitable backup, and breathe much easier if you're ever in a situation when the gooey stuff hits the fan.

Just my 2psi on them, but I wouldn't sweat them in the Sound from a temperature perspective.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Jim
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I did the same thing last year. My partner/dive buddy and I got a deal on the same regulator setup during a sale at an LDS while out of town visiting relatives. They only had the ABS octo and the Legend octo, so I didn't spring the extra money for the Legend octo. After getting home, I noticed that it said it was only for diving in 50F and higher. :angry:

I went back to the shop the next morning, regulator in hand and asked the guy why he had sold me a warm water reg. He assured me it would be fine and that they had customers that used them regularly down to 40F or so without incident. I was fairly embarrassed by the whole thing at the time. #-o

I haven't had any real problems with it personally in Puget Sound during winter. It breathes ok (not good but it'll get you to the surface), is light/compact for travel. My partner has had no end of trouble with his though. First, he noticed he couldn't inhale from it when on a tank after getting it brand new. It also started free flowing before we even got in the water on at least two occasions, before a local shop showed him how to fix the problem in the field.

We both recently replaced ours with new Apeks octos since we're in the process of moving to a long hose setup. They breath WAY better than the ABS and the ATX40 wasn't really even all that much more than the ABS.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

I haven't had any real problems with it personally in Puget Sound during winter. It breathes ok (not good but it'll get you to the surface), is light/compact for travel. My partner has had no end of trouble with his though. First, he noticed he couldn't inhale from it when on a tank after getting it brand new. It also started free flowing before we even got in the water on at least two occasions, before a local shop showed him how to fix the problem in the field.
Thanks, good to know. I did go over to the Tacoma store and talked to the manager down here (had to go get the BC inflator hose anyway, they were out of stock at the main store that day...). He gave me enough info about the unit's behaviour in local waters that I'm reassured (basically, the numbers of these he's sold and seen in use without problems). Have not had the unit on a tank yet but I'll most certainly check it all out to make sure...

What did you have to do for the free-flowing problem?

Jim
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

RE: Aqualung "ABS Octopus" - cold water question

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I don't recall exactly and the guy sarcastically said, "only do this if you're a trained aqualung tech". But basically, he popped it open and straightened out some flexible flap.

Sent from my Mazaa using Board Express
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

I don't recall exactly and the guy sarcastically said, "only do this if you're a trained aqualung tech". But basically, he popped it open and straightened out some flexible flap.
Ah. Sounds like this issue: http://www.aqualung.com/AL_comm_techlib ... Poster.pdf
Mine appears to have the new grille as shown in that file...

Jim