Looks like Uemis is belly up...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
camerone
Submariner

Looks like Uemis is belly up...

Post by camerone »

http://www.moneyhouse.ch/u/uemis_ag_CH- ... .358-6.htm (apologies, it's in German; try Google Translate if you're not fluent.) The short translation is that a judge has liquidated assets and dissolved the company.

Wonder what happens with the IP...while I didn't care for the unit itself, I kind of like the hardware platform, and the software might be fun to hack on, similarly to the Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC series, albeit on a slightly smarter/faster bit of hardware.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Looks like Uemis is belly up...

Post by CaptnJack »

It was a fairly outdated decompression model with a bunch of mysterious bells and whistles added. I'm not surprised it didn't make it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:It was a fairly outdated decompression model with a bunch of mysterious bells and whistles added. I'm not surprised it didn't make it.

No, that's a plus for most divers. I think the price point was unsustainable. It was a recreational computer that cost almost as much as a full-on technical computer.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

a little bankruptcy blurb on their site:
http://www.uemis.com/en/company/news/of ... g_uemis_ag
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:It was a fairly outdated decompression model with a bunch of mysterious bells and whistles added. I'm not surprised it didn't make it.

No, that's a plus for most divers. I think the price point was unsustainable. It was a recreational computer that cost almost as much as a full-on technical computer.
I guess. I thought it was oriented to the technical market, but maybe I never really understood their market.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I guess. I thought it was oriented to the technical market, but maybe I never really understood their market.
I only dove one once, but I certainly did get the impression it was aimed at the OW market. Pretty colors, LOTS of bells and whistles but also a lot of stuff that the average OW diver isn't going to understand or need. (like a little bar chart showing compartment loading). Mine started freaking out and looked like some sort of christmas display when I didn't stop at 15' for the full 3 minutes.

As far as I know they were still working on a He model, they didn't have one yet. Not much good as a tech computer if it won't do He.

Sad to see them go OOB though. Lots of people seemed to like them.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Looks like Uemis is belly up...

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I'm pretty sure THEY didn't understand their own market, either.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

CaptnJack wrote:I guess. I thought it was oriented to the technical market, but maybe I never really understood their market.
I'm not sure they did, either.

The thing had no Helium, no CCR, criminally poor choice of deco algorithm, only three gasses, and exceptionally poor (10 hr) battery life. To make up for it, they coupled with a bunch of needless "social" features involving online uploading of data and unbelievably worthless things like swappable color faceplates. Anything with swappable faceplates screams recreational computer, but this one was out of the price range for recreational divers.

There was _one_ interesting thing, which was the buddy feature. As an end user, I thought it was the stupidest ******* thing I'd ever heard, but an instructor buddy last weekend thought it'd be great for open water classes to watch his students' gauges easily. I had to give him that point.

Of course, I just watched the same guy have Uwatec Galileo Sol go bat-s*** crazy on him last weekend, too; that thing is buggy as sin, and just as unreliable as the Uwatecs I swore off of a long time ago. Nice to see they haven't fixed their reliability or quality problems, either :) This one was his second...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Re: Re: Looks like Uemis is belly up...

Post by seainggreen »

Joshua Smith wrote:I'm pretty sure THEY didn't understand their own market, either.
+1. That was pretty clear from early on.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I thought the proprietary black box "we are going to pad your deco based on workload and temperature" feature was ummm creative...
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

That is a polite way of putting it.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:I thought the proprietary black box "we are going to pad your deco based on workload and temperature" feature was ummm creative...

That IS interesting. Did it use your SAC rate to determine workload? If so, a freeflow at depth might give you quite a deco schedule.....

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I thought the proprietary black box "we are going to pad your deco based on workload and temperature" feature was ummm creative...

That IS interesting. Did it use your SAC rate to determine workload? If so, a freeflow at depth might give you quite a deco schedule.....
I dunno. Laura repped for them, maybe she'll chime in with the "inside" scoop. On what happened to the company and existing unit support etc.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

did you mean "UE(nl)MIS" ? Underwater Equipment (no longer) Made In Switzerland.. ;)

I would venture a guess that the trimix update they have been promising their loyal customers is also now belly up..

AFAIK, Laura mentioned on SB that the "Online" dive profile servers have been moved a while ago already in preparation.. that tells me they knew about this looming bankruptcy for a long time..

I really hope these "new" servers remain up (not sure who will be footing the bill) because the dive logs for UE(nl)MIS can ONLY be uploaded to internet servers, there is NO local download capability... so if those "new" servers goes dark, all UE(nl)MIS owners are now SOL

If I were them, I would at least release the logfile download code as open source to the community..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

:angry: yes I own one :angry:

I guess I will soon be owning an expensive paper weight :eek:
Jeff Castor
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

camerone wrote: Of course, I just watched the same guy have Uwatec Galileo Sol go bat-s*** crazy on him last weekend, too; that thing is buggy as sin, and just as unreliable as the Uwatecs I swore off of a long time ago. Nice to see they haven't fixed their reliability or quality problems, either :) This one was his second...
(Knock on wood) My Sol is working like a champ. Very happy with it. I wanted a GIANT display and at the time it was the Sol or zip. Jen's Uwatec SmartTec has been pretty darn painless too. I have heard some complaints about Uwatec's wireless AI crapping out, but then again you hear that about everyone's wireless AI. Never heard about Uwatec computers flipping out, though.

(The Sol has a silly workload compensation algorithm though. First thing I turned off.)

The Uemis computer looked neat because I like eye candy but as others have said, it is way too expensive. And stuff like tissue gas loading charts... Man, can you imagine trying to use information like that to make a decision under water? Useless.

Also, I learned lessons from other hobbies long ago: don't buy anything cool, exotic, and expensive from a tiny European company if there is a better-supported alternative.... or at least, don't buy the first model.

I am sad to see them go though, competition makes things interesting. But I can't see myself buying a new dive computer til my Sol dies. While I love gadgets I don't know what could tempt me into buying a new computer. This one just works... 'til it doesn't, I guess.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

I think the there main problem in the United States was the imported they chose to go with. He JACKED the price WAY up. I stopped ordering them when he took over. The guy has HURT a lot of SCUBA company's. I was shocked UEMIS went with him. It's still a cool computer. I have 2 of them I'll dive em till they die. Hopefully by then another SCUBA company picks em up and continues making them. Just my 2 cents.