Wa. state buoy

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
deep diver
Pelagic

Wa. state buoy

Post by deep diver »

Does anyone know what happened to the east Pulali buoy? Noticed it was gone yesterday. Last time I was there it seemed real loose. Sand screw type. Hopefully Don picked it up and it's not just floating around somewhere.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
don
Aquaphile

Re: Wa. state buoy

Post by don »

When the buoy was permitted the Navy wasn't properly informed. The East and South buoys are inside the Dabob Bay range area. The Navy contacted DNR after the buoys were placed. Bottom line is the Navy won't allow mooring buoys inside the ranage area. We took the East buoy out, the South buoy will also come out but we haven't had a chance to get that one yet. don
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

thats too bad. Too bad they didn't find out before they were set.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

deep diver wrote:thats too bad. Too bad they didn't find out before they were set.
They want to be able to clear the range when its in use. Somewhat rare, at least I have never seen it in use, but I am not often there on weekdays. They have a military priority in that area per federal regulations. Somewhat shocked they weren't properly informed during the permitting process though, DNR effed that up.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

The range does get a lot of use, more than a couple hundred days a year mostly on weekdays but sometimes on weekends. Over the past 10 years I've developed a good working relationship with the range officer and security. They have some challenges when recreational boaters don't recognize or acknowledge the range warning lights. Yes, someone at DNR or County messed up with the permitting when the Navy wasn't properly consulted. If anyone planning a boat trip in this area has questions about range operations let me know.
don
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Wow 100days a year is a bit of a shock to me. I had no idea they were there that much, good to know for my rare weekday trip over there.

I know the range lights but on a (sunny) day like today I probably wouldn't see them either.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.