Edmonds Underwater Park

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Edmonds Underwater Park

Post by jaytrigg27 »

I know you are supposed to stay away from the ferry terminal, does that distance prevent one from acceptably diving the dry dock? Thanks in advance for the help
coulterboy
Amphibian

Re: Edmonds Underwater Park

Post by coulterboy »

Jay,

Hope this helps.

Clearing Up an Urban Scuba Myth – Edmonds Underwater Park, Edmonds WA13
Jul 2010John McKenzie This article, while specific to one dive site near Seattle, illustrates how scuba myths can get entrenched and how, with a few phone calls you can help fellow divers.

The Edmonds Underwater Park (more formerly know as the Bruce Higgins Underwater Park) is located not far from Seattle, Washington and just north of the Edmonds Kingston Ferry Landing. It includes acres of underwater trails leading to sunken vessels and other artificial reefs that are home to a wide array of sea life. Almost 25,000 scuba dives take place hear each year.

There was a lot of confusing information about diving on the De Lion Dry dock at the Edmonds Underwater park. The dry dock is one of the nicest features in the park. The rumors going around were wild and scary. The stories were variations on, “if you are caught near the dry dock homeland security will arrest you and fine you thousands of dollars.” It is an urban scuba myth.

After extensive phone conversations with

the US Coast Guard/Homeland Security, Helmut Steel of WS Ferries Security, Bruce Higgins (as in Bruce Higgins Underwater Park) and Brian Macintosh, Director of Parks and Recreation for the city of Edmonds, all agree diving the dry dock is allowed and basically legal.

The only rule that does apply is the 33 CFR 165.1317 (from the Security and Safety Zone; Large Passenger Vessel Protection, Puget Sound and adjacent waters, Washington. Code of Federal Regulations – Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters (December 2005) ). This ruling says that you must stay 25 yards away from the Ferry when it is the dock and 100 yards away when it is underway. As no one could tell us exactly how close are to the ferry when you are at the dry dock at low tide. It may be a good idea to visit the dry-docks between ferries just to be extra compliant.

The Parks and Ferry departments do want to encourage all divers to help make sure only experienced divers dive the dry docks or in any part of the park near the ferry and during favorable currents (leading away from the ferry). Brian Macintosh did point out that since people thought it was illegal they have have had less incidents of divers drifting into the ferry danger zone.

Brian also said that they are making a concerted effort to sink more large and interesting features further north in the park (away from the ferries). They recently sunk an old Lopez Island ferry dock wing on top of the deteriorated tug, the Triumph. The wing is 130 feet long.

If you are not from the Pacific Northwest, we hope you come, visit and dive. Edmonds Underwater Park is a grand place to start your journey and to get a preview of world class diving that “tropical-only” divers never get to see.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

Thanks! So when it says favorable currents does that mean slack before an ebb tide to be moving away from the ferry terminal?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Edmonds Underwater Park

Post by spatman »

Coulterboy, what's the source of that article?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

www.scubagadget.com

Title of the Article: Clearing up an Urban Scuba Myth-Edmonds Underwater Park, Edmonds, WA
Written by: John McKenzie
Date released: July 13, 2010
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

What's the earliest arrival time you can do on a weekend without a permit?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I've always considered, as long as the gate is open, it's good to go. You don't need any permit to dive at BHUT.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

And I've dove there as late as 8:30 PM without a permit, too. I consider myself clear as long as it's light when I'm getting in the water. The dry dock is an awesome dive-highly recommended!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

So yeah I have called to determine about diving outside of normal EUP hours and this is what they told me. If the park gate is closed you are not to dive in the park. If you plan to dive after closing you can call the city and get permission to stay after hours and dive, they will let the authorities know that you have been given permission, and leave the gates open. As for what time in the morning, I am unsure.
I also have dived the dry dock and it is a great part of the park. If you are going to dive it, given what Coulterboy has stated I would suggest NOT surfacing there and make your way back over to the north before ascending. Just to assure that you are not alarming anyone working for the Ferry.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

Thanks guys! I was thinking of getting there around 7am, gates should be open then right (on a Saturday)?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

My Man! My Man! You had to do it this Saturday, the same day with our Club Day at Redondo. I would have loved to dive with you going down to the Delion Dry Dock, but I'm committed to go to Redondo. Some other time Jay. Enjoy your dive.
It's an awesome dive if you go to the Dry Dock.
jaytrigg27
Avid Diver

Post by jaytrigg27 »

Thanks, I got cleared from the wife to venture north, I'll have to dive it with u soon since it is your back yard!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Meh I work Saturday or I would show you around
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**