I want to learn to Crab / Clam

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Hi All,

I am a Noob - but one of the things I am really interested in is Crabbing (Sounds like fun, and I love to eat them) - I need someone to show me the ropes.

I live in Gig Harbor - and have a fairly flexible schedule.

Anyone around that needs a crabbing buddy and wants to share all their "secrets" ? :)
We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything.
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Re: I want to learn to Crab / Clam

Post by mcloed121 »

i want to go crabing this year.
Anthony
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

It is easy all you need is your gear including a goody bag to hold them morsels. The only hard part is sneeking up on them, then with you finger hold them down, then grab the back two legs and stuff them into the goody bag. Be sure to bring a cooler and fill with sea water to keep them alive until you get them home. Unless you clean them on site. OH and crabbing license would be also good to get they frown upon poaching. :burntchef: It has been a few years since I did crabbing and the T dock seems to be a place divers go for crabbing. You can take 5 male dungee and 6 redrock male or female per day. Don't forget to bring something to measure the keepers.

I have an ear infection right now so no diving until it clears up. :angry:
Jeff Castor
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

A good trick I learned is to use a stick and then you can reach out and tap them before you get close and scare them. This is also handy they will attack the stick giving you more time to capture them.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I like to speak to them about what I do for work. I explain our testing process for mobile devices and the SQL back end we use. As I am just starting to get to the point when I explain performance issues caused by fragmented indexes they either kill themselves (have to clean them right away) or fall asleep and I just place them into the bag.

Works great on humans too, ask my wife.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

Ha, you need to explain some injection attacks and see if they will also clean themselves!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

spudgunman wrote:Ha, you need to explain some injection attacks and see if they will also clean themselves!
nice.. :supz:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Thanks for all the advice. Who's up for some crabbing this week, in the evening, at 7 or later?

I am also available this weekend. Was considering the club dive at Redondo - but would skip that to have crab for dinner Saturday.....
We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything.
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

I personally like to use a long pair of stainless steel BBQ tongs with some electrical tape wrapped around to mark the legal size. They work especially well for the ones that are buried in ;)
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Anyone have time to take a newbie out? I would like to have help planning my first Crab / Clam dive - and will go pick up my licenses and a mesh net.

I live in Gig Harbor - I can go out Mon or Tues 7:00 p.m. or later.

Or I will have to wait until the following week.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Norris wrote:I like to speak to them about what I do for work. I explain our testing process for mobile devices and the SQL back end we use. As I am just starting to get to the point when I explain performance issues caused by fragmented indexes they either kill themselves (have to clean them right away) or fall asleep and I just place them into the bag.

Dude! THAT IS SOOOOOOO FRICKIN FUNNY! Made my whole day!!!!!! Thanks mang.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

Scube_Noob wrote:Anyone have time to take a newbie out? I would like to have help planning my first Crab / Clam dive - and will go pick up my licenses and a mesh net.

I live in Gig Harbor - I can go out Mon or Tues 7:00 p.m. or later.

Or I will have to wait until the following week.
FYI, the crab license is valid only Thursday through Monday. No crabbing on Tuesday and Wednesday. Don't ask me why, it's just the government! :notworthy:
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Norris wrote:I like to speak to them about what I do for work. I explain our testing process for mobile devices and the SQL back end we use. As I am just starting to get to the point when I explain performance issues caused by fragmented indexes they either kill themselves (have to clean them right away) or fall asleep and I just place them into the bag.

If I type out some feeble attempt at making a funny and get only ONE person to laugh as it sounds like you may have...my mission is a success.
Thanks!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Norris wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:

If I type out some feeble attempt at making a funny and get only ONE person to laugh as it sounds like you may have...my mission is a success.
Thanks!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL - I thought both your comments were funny....so you must be on top of the world now! :)
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Domer Down wrote:
FYI, the crab license is valid only Thursday through Monday. No crabbing on Tuesday and Wednesday. Don't ask me why, it's just the government! :notworthy:
OK - anyone want to take a Noob out on Monday - or Thursday the week after next.. ? LOL

Is this going to be one of those things where I always see keeper crab every time I dive, but after I get my license, a mesh net, and someone to take me out, there won't be one in sight? :)
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

How do you keep the crabs from pinching you through the mesh net? When swimming in search of the next crab doesn't the net follow along your side?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: I want to learn to Crab / Clam

Post by Joshua Smith »

johnclark wrote:How do you keep the crabs from pinching you through the mesh net?
Very small handcuffs. You arrest the offending crab, approach it from the rear, and cuff it from behind.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Don't worry Chad, I'll help you get some Crab. But as far as Clams? Your on your own. Yuck! :huge:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

Joshua Smith wrote:
johnclark wrote:How do you keep the crabs from pinching you through the mesh net?
Very small handcuffs. You arrest the offending crab, approach it from the rear, and cuff it from behind.
LOL -wouldn't they be called "Clawcuffs" and where do I buy some? I haven't seen those at the shop yet!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
:rofl: Thank you Josh :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

johnclark wrote:How do you keep the crabs from pinching you through the mesh net? When swimming in search of the next crab doesn't the net follow along your side?
You clip the bag to the front of your scooter ;-)
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

I wish I had a scooter to crab with...

I will crab with you if we can hook up.. However I have a no eating crab south of muk rule so I am happy to just go out and catch em with you if it's south of that.
Kelly(boy)
_____
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Scube_Noob wrote: LOL -wouldn't they be called "Clawcuffs" and where do I buy some? I haven't seen those at the shop yet!
You buy them at a non-descript store on Pacific Highway South (they probably sell them in Spanaway too) but they keep them under the counter and you have to ask for them.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Scube_Noob
Avid Diver

Post by Scube_Noob »

spudgunman wrote:I wish I had a scooter to crab with...

I will crab with you if we can hook up.. However I have a no eating crab south of muk rule so I am happy to just go out and catch em with you if it's south of that.
I don't know these waters that well - should I avoid eating crabs caught "south of muk" also?

We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anything...!

If you want, we can plan a couple of dives up north, plus I have been wanting to hit edmonds UW park...maybe a cool 3 dive day, with crab for dinner that night? Just a thought....

I should have the weekend of the 23rd / 24th available.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Scube_Noob wrote:We can head up north if that's the place to catch "non-polluted" crab. I don't want to grow a 3rd nipple or anythin.
Who needs a new sig-line?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!