newport dive video

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

newport dive video

Post by no excuses »

a video I found on another site, think its from AAron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dN9S_uV ... ded#at=419
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Re: newport dive video

Post by guitarmaker »

It's actually Justin from Blue Element Scuba in Salem: Arron was his dive buddy and has a great video too with an opposing view of the wolfie trying to eat Justins camera. If that had happened to me I think that "Dry Suit" would be a relative term! ;)
Cheers!

Ron
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

guitarmaker wrote:It's actually Justin from Blue Element Scuba in Salem: Arron was his dive buddy and has a great video too with an opposing view of the wolfie trying to eat Justins camera. If that had happened to me I think that "Dry Suit" would be a relative term! ;)
yeh a not soo dry suit lol
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

That was awesome to see him out in the open for so long. I'd like to see that other video, too. Do you think he was getting annoyed with the papparazzi?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Ron is right that is Justin's video. I've embedded my video if anyone feels like checking it out. I actually have a bunch of great Oregon dive footage from the past few trips, but I haven't gotten around to editing it yet :P.

As far as the wolfie goes, it was a little odd, he was a feisty juvenile, but I've never seen one be so aggressive before. My guess is that something on Justin's camera like a reflection or color set him off.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/24252710[/vimeo]
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Nice- thanks for posting it...
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Yeah, thanks for putting that up. I hope all the fingers are still there. Looks like great diving, I gotta get out there.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

Hey Aaron, what software are you using to edit those? I just got a GoPro to try to document some of what I see, but the editing seems like a nightmare. Maybe I should go dig around the photography page a little....
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Beefcake,

I use Adobe Premiere. It is pretty expensive, but has some nice features. On the more reasonably priced side my buddy uses Sony Vegas and likes it. GoPro also has some free cineform editing software (http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-how-it-works/). I you are on a Mac, I have a friend that swears by Final Cut Pro X.

Editing video takes a lot of time, that is one of the major drawbacks to the whole thing. What I try to do is turn the camera on and off to record each interesting clip. That was I come back from a dive with 40 clips totaling 20 minutes, instead of one huge hour long recording where I have no idea if anything good happened or where. Once I download the files I bring them in to the editing program and watch them. I give it a short name describing what is in the scene, if there is nothing useful at all I delete it. If it is something good enough to for sure put in the video I add an underscore as (_) the first letter in the description. That way when finish watching I sort by name and get all the "best" clips first. I drop those on the timeline and trim them down. If I use up all the underscore clips and need more footage I go back thought the non-underscore names. Anyway, it is kind of a funky system but seems to be working for me now.

A final piece of advice, keep the videos short. I prefer just a few seconds for each shot and my overall video length for dive trips is 5-10 minutes. Once you get the hang of editing it gets much easier, but still you have to put in the time to get good results. Good luck :).
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

Thanks for the tips. I'm afraid the whole point for me is to not touch this camera once I get in the water (I'm usually carrying a still camera, a speargun, or clamming / crabbing gear, so my hands are full when the action is happening), so I'll be starting with one big file. I do like the idea of breaking it down into smaller files and then rebuilding it.

I don't even know if my computer will work for editing. I'm running a Vaio laptop with 1.6ghz processor, 32-bit format, with 2GB ram. Will more ram help?

I've got a couple of editors that I will try before spending much on a new program (Windows Movie Maker and Free Video Dub). I just don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a program until I know what features I want it to have. This is all new to me; I'm over 40 and very low-tech, so wish me luck!
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

I built some little brackets to hold dive lights on the forward end of my speargun that could probably be adapted for a video camera. Aaron, if you get a gun I'll build you a camera bracket - we need to get you "multitasking"! ;)
:angelblue:
Attachments
256008_1937132982157_1057323261_2221767_3833907_o.jpg
Cheers!

Ron