BP/W Q's...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

BP/W Q's...

Post by E_Mo »

I am interested in changing from a BCD vest to a BP/W setup and was wondering if anyone was going to be at the Dive Around the Clock between 9:30PM and 1:00AM so I could look at their setup and get some info about BP/W's, as I know nothing about them.

Most of the shops I see around here (South King County/Kent area) mainly have all vest BCD's, anyone know any dive shops that have a good selection and are knowledgble about BP/W's (Maybe you should PM the shop name to me, so we don't start a debate about shops...)?

Does anyone know a good place online to find info?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: BP/W Q's...

Post by LCF »

For on-line information, you can browse the Deep Sea Supply website, or Dive Gear Express (the latter has a lot of explanatory text on their pages; the former has some very useful videos). The equipment essay at gue.com is also good, although it's not just about backplates.

Tacoma Scuba is a Halcyon dealer and will have backplate setups to look at. Northwest Sports Divers has a Deep Sea Supply rig in the showroom. I believe at least the Seattle Underwater Sports store has some Hollis gear.

You should have come to the club dive -- I had the new diver I buddied up with walk around the parking lot and see what people were using for BCs. About three quarters of the divers had some type of backplate and wing!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

I really wanted to go to club dive, but had to work.

I may be opening another can of worms, is one brand of BP/W better than the other, or do they all of their postivies and negatives?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

They will all claim to be better for this reason or that reason :) the best would be to get a few of them (current-ish models, not 10 year old versions unless you're looking at purchasing used and then have at it) in your hands, and take a close look at the finish work etc... look at the wings and the quality of material/workmanship... talk to folks and see what they dive and why.. Sometimes it's price, sometimes its brand loyalty, sometimes its some part of the system that works with their plate, sometimes its part of the design of the wing (inflator length, position, shape of wing) etc....

most of all, if you can, take a few out and dive... LCF has offered, and I have another system that you can try if you have option to make it to one of our wednesday dives, cove 2, 7pm :) its a 30lb wing which is my warm water travel kit, so maybe a liiitle small for our neck of woods specially if you are in a full wetsuit and diving big steel tanks... (i often recommend the 40lb as its elliptical design makes it only marginally bigger than the 30lb and some folks like a little extra lift) but YMMV...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

E_Mo wrote:I am interested in changing from a BCD vest to a BP/W setup and was wondering if anyone was going to be at the Dive Around the Clock between 9:30PM and 1:00AM so I could look at their setup and get some info about BP/W's, as I know nothing about them.

Most of the shops I see around here (South King County/Kent area) mainly have all vest BCD's, anyone know any dive shops that have a good selection and are knowledgble about BP/W's (Maybe you should PM the shop name to me, so we don't start a debate about shops...)?

Does anyone know a good place online to find info?
My hubby and I will be diving the 7 and 9 pm slots on Friday at DATC, so you're welcome to check out my BP/W set-up there. I'll be in a blue and black BARE drysuit . . . just ask around if you you don't see me.
Kelly
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I'll be at DATC for the entire 24 hours helping out at the comfort station & first aid station when I'm not diving. You're welcome to take a look at my gear.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

You should also realize that for the most part BP/W rigs are made up out of interchangeable components although there are a few that have features that only work when like components are assembled. Generally you can use one brand wing with a different plate and a harness of choice. Makes it pretty easy to assemble used gear if that is your thing. Keep asking questions, we are here to help.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I also have a few BP/W setups that you can borrow to dive.. Looks like you have a fair amount of people willing to help too :joshsmith:

So, If you are looking at using single tank setup, I have a Halcyon Cinch plate and harness with 30lb wing as well as a Hollis 34lb wing with plate and harness that you can look at diving.

Depending on your time frame for making a decision, I could meet you for a dive sometime and you can keep either setup for a few dives to try it out.

I'm out of town as of July 15th and will be back by end of the month..

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

+1 I'll also be at DATC and, if timing were to work out, I have a few different ones you'd be welcome to dive. I'll gladly talk you through the "whats" but more importantly the "whys." Then we'll go diving.

One note... always ask the "why" question. If you don't get a rock-solid and logical answer, go ask someone else.

PM enroute...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I'd like to add something about lift. Sometimes to much lift is bad, for example, a 50-60lb lift wing can be trouble for a S.T.D (single tank divers). Trying to get the air out can be a pain, and if you don't have gobs of weight (improper weighting) then most likely you will rocket to the surface. I've seen this one first hand, and just to witness it was pretty horrific.

If you are PERFECTLY weighted I would try a 30lb lift since, it appears you are diving trilaminate drysuit (uncompressed neoprene shrinks at depth obviously), Then try the 34 lb lift wing. You will find it's easier to exhaust the 30lb wing than the 34 (I'm very picky) at your 15ft stop. But there are several people who will disagree with lift needed, a good dive buddy of mine prefers a 35lb wing to his 30 lb halcyon.

But it all depends on how much lift you do need. Between tank depletion and drysuit complete failure(all that precious anti squeeze is gone) your wing should be enough to compensate (also you should be weighted so if you have a catastrophic failure you can swim it up).

You have A LOT of great divers nearby, and a wonderful board of helpful people. I would try to meet everyone of them and squeeze them dry of knowledge. Hope this helps!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

That's a very thoughtful, intelligent answer. WTF did you do with the real Dashrynn?
Dashrynn wrote:I'd like to add something about lift. Sometimes to much lift is bad, for example, a 50-60lb lift wing can be trouble for a S.T.D (single tank divers). Trying to get the air out can be a pain, and if you don't have gobs of weight (improper weighting) then most likely you will rocket to the surface. I've seen this one first hand, and just to witness it was pretty horrific.

If you are PERFECTLY weighted I would try a 30lb lift since, it appears you are diving trilaminate drysuit (uncompressed neoprene shrinks at depth obviously), Then try the 34 lb lift wing. You will find it's easier to exhaust the 30lb wing than the 34 (I'm very picky) at your 15ft stop. But there are several people who will disagree with lift needed, a good dive buddy of mine prefers a 35lb wing to his 30 lb halcyon.

But it all depends on how much lift you do need. Between tank depletion and drysuit complete failure(all that precious anti squeeze is gone) your wing should be enough to compensate (also you should be weighted so if you have a catastrophic failure you can swim it up).

You have A LOT of great divers nearby, and a wonderful board of helpful people. I would try to meet everyone of them and squeeze them dry of knowledge. Hope this helps!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:That's a very thoughtful, intelligent answer. WTF did you do with the real Dashrynn?
Seriously! This isn't funny... I'm kind of freaking out here.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

our little Dash is all growed up.

or he copied and pasted it from somewhere else. lol.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Sounder wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:That's a very thoughtful, intelligent answer. WTF did you do with the real Dashrynn?
Seriously! This isn't funny... I'm kind of freaking out here.
It must be the Florida sun. Maybe he has sun stroke? :eek:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

ROTFL could have been sun flares 0.o. I didn't copy and paste it (other than my internal memory unit). Maybe I consumed a burger with tiny brain fixing worms? Could possibly be true, since florida lacks true workers who give a crap.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dashrynn wrote:ROTFL could have been sun flares 0.o. I didn't copy and paste it (other than my internal memory unit). Maybe I consumed a burger with tiny brain fixing worms? Could possibly be true, since florida lacks true workers who give a crap.
He is closer to the GUE mothership being in Florida....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Maybe he just misses us ...

I also have a couple different systems you're welcome to try out. I won't be at DATC ... I have classes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday this upcoming week-end.

... I also have a backplate and harness for sale right now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: BP/W Q's...

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:ROTFL could have been sun flares 0.o. I didn't copy and paste it (other than my internal memory unit). Maybe I consumed a burger with tiny brain fixing worms? Could possibly be true, since florida lacks true workers who give a crap.
No, that's really him, guys.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: BP/W Q's...

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
No, that's really him, guys.
While grammar will never be my strong point, I will never have a hard time with engineering and physics.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

TRUST ME folks... The Dash is still alive and kicking. I get to witness his shenanagins every weekend.

I gotta admit though, he is a good sport for tolerating the amount of crap I give him for said shenanagins.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:TRUST ME folks... The Dash is still alive and kicking. I get to witness his shenanagins every weekend.

I gotta admit though, he is a good sport for tolerating the amount of crap I give him for said shenanigans.
Yeah my SHENANIGANS are pretty amazing. Like the time I dropped the alpha flag in the water...ohhh wait that wasn't me :penelope: okay okay or the time I did a triple upside down spiral. Orrrrr the time I did a jig to get someones attention. or the time I freedived to scratch your head at your safety stop :taco: .
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I don't even quite know what to say... other than, uh, I'll be in Florida in November and may want to dive. He really has grown up, hasn't he?! I'll admit, it brings a tear to my eye... but just one.
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Post by E_Mo »

Thanks so much for all of the great info and offers to share your equipment with me for demos, I'll defintely take as many of those offers I can get.

So far, based on my internet research I was looking at the Zeagle "deluxe" BP:
BP.jpg
It's a little fancier, but just watching other people, BP's look a little difficult to put on at times (mainly the shoulder straps), and I am not the most flexible of guys, so I like the quick disconnect buckles on the lower area of the shoulder straps.

I have no idea on a wing, I was looking at my current BC (SeaQuest QD Pro) and it has 60 pounds of lift... which seems a bit much for single tank diving. I don't usually use my BC at all once submerged, so it really only matters to me that it has enough lift to keep me on the surface as needed. My usually equipment includes:
-Single HP 100 (Sometimes a Single HP 80 instead)
-30 AL pony mounted to my main tank

I don't plan on doing tec or doubles, so mainly looking for something to work for what I dive now.

Since there are no weight pockets (that I can see at least) I presume a weight belt is needed with the BP/W setup, but the BP has a waist belt, so I am a little confused on how a weight belt or harness would work? I was considering the Sea Wolf setup:
Weight.jpg
Anyone have any experience with either of these?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You can easily use either a belt or a weight harness with a backplate/harness -- you either run the straps one on top of another, or stagger them up and down. I use a belt; my husband uses a DUI Weight & Trim, which is similar to your Seawolf setup.

All I can say about the fancy harness is that everyone I know who has spent the money for one, has gone to a standard harness eventually. You might save yourself some money by starting with the simple harness, having someone show you how to adjust it and get in and out of it, and then deciding if you need the bells and whistles. Most folks don't; if one is having problems getting in and out of the rig, it's most often because it is too tight.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

LCF wrote:All I can say about the fancy harness is that everyone I know who has spent the money for one, has gone to a standard harness eventually. You might save yourself some money by starting with the simple harness, having someone show you how to adjust it and get in and out of it, and then deciding if you need the bells and whistles. Most folks don't; if one is having problems getting in and out of the rig, it's most often because it is too tight.
I agree. I have the most basic DSS harness set-up and love it. At first, I wanted all the bells and whistles, but held off to see how I would like the basic harness before going all blinged out. After diving it for two years, I really prefer the simplicity of my basic set-up. I agree with Lynn, if you have difficulty putting it on/taking it off, often times the harness is just adjusted too tight for your gear/body.

Another bonus of a simple harness is that you can easily change out the webbing as you please. I found the original webbing a bit too stiff, so I switched it out to a softer material (and it's purple...bonus...:)). Putting it on became easier, and it is also much more comfortable when I dive in a wetsuit.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman