Pony bottle help

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Pony bottle help

Post by spatman »

nwscubamom wrote:I'd like to sling the pony. Is there any good reason to sling it from the left side? Currently that's where my camera is, and I'm really concerned about the camera clanking into the pony and scratching (or worse!) the housing. My gauges are also on the left side, and it just seems like TOO much stuff on the left side. So any reason it can't be on the right?
if it's slung on your right side, will it interfere with deploying your octo? do you use a long hose or a regular length octo hose?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well- some BC's, you can sling a pony, and some, you can't. A 19 is pretty small, though- you probably couldn't actually attach it like a regular stage bottle.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

For a 19 it may be easier to clamp it to the main tank?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Janna, the reason people with a BP/W sling it on the left is because usually the long hose is on the right, along with the canlight, so there is no waist D-ring over there. Also, a standard valve has the handle on the Right (when mounted traditionally) so if you want the 1st stage up and the valve handle on the outside where it's much easier to manipulate with your same side hand, you want it mounted on the left.

If you're just diving recreationally in a traditional BC, as long as it's not going to interfere with something else on the right side, (light or octo) you should be able to make it work.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

We're missing the obvious here... Janna needs a bp/w, and a hearty can-light. That'll clear things up.

Ok Janna... would you entertain TRYING one, once (ok, maybe twice if the first time it isn't adjusted right)? :angelblue: :blackblink:

I'll bring the post-dive, no caffeine, non-alcoholic beverages. :koolaid:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hahaha, you just can't STAND the fact I dive in one of those old fashioned strokey type jacket BCDs, can you?? :neener:
I think you're basically trying to tell me: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!
I guess I'm down for trying one out sometime. But a can light?!!?

Thanks for the pony bottle help...maybe I'll try moving my camera to the right side....then the pony can be on the left. The most logical reasoning I read was to keep the reg portion facing upward. Sounds good to me...I'll get this thing put together and see what happens.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Janna, I think it's great you're going to try out a Hogarthian configuration. Maybe it won't be your cup of tea, but it just might be. Put it to the test. I also highly recommend trying it out with someone who can guide you through setup and adjustments. I got some of the best tweaking advice after I had over 100 dives on mine, so it's definitely worth starting out with someone who can help you adjust, watch you in the water, and help you dial it in. This can make all the difference in the world and is the only way to really give it a fair shot. Trust me; it's worth the effort.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:Hahaha, you just can't STAND the fact I dive in one of those old fashioned strokey type jacket BCDs, can you?? :neener:
I think you're basically trying to tell me: RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!
I guess I'm down for trying one out sometime. But a can light?!!?

Thanks for the pony bottle help...maybe I'll try moving my camera to the right side....then the pony can be on the left. The most logical reasoning I read was to keep the reg portion facing upward. Sounds good to me...I'll get this thing put together and see what happens.

- Janna
Can light? But of course! Since it'll be on your right side, it's yet another reason to have your slung bottle on the left. Once you go to a can light, you simply can't go back. I have one of those for you to try too! Just think of how convenient it'll be to have your hands completely free while you do surveys and still have your light in-hand! Think of all the increased critters you'll see with more light output! :laughing3:

So... when can I meet you in Brinnon? :angelblue:

:koolaid: :neener:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:Thanks for the pony bottle help...maybe I'll try moving my camera to the right side....then the pony can be on the left. The most logical reasoning I read was to keep the reg portion facing upward.
- Janna
I run my camera on my right chest D-ring and when I sling a bottle I put it on my left side. It works very well - especially since I'm right handed. The bottle floats there "out of the way" under my left arm, my light on my left hand, and I use right hand for camera or whatever else needs to happen. I can clip off the light head if I want to get it out of the way.

I have a Zeagle Tech bcd, which I bought like most newer divers because it was what the shop sold and seemed like the best option they had, and so it seemed like the thing to do when I'm buying gear and no one is around to explain options that they don't have a financial interest in. I actually lucked out to a degree, first of all because it's a "wing" design not a wrap around (my ample frame and wrap arounds just don't mix), and once I started putting weight in the back trim pockets I had no trouble surface swimming / floating (at first the wing and it's back inflate design pushed me face first into the water - very unpleasant). It's a good BCD - kind of a hybrid, and it works fine, with enough D-rings and them being positioned where I can sling a bottle without it being too weird.

Eventually (read cheap, broke, etc etc) I will switch to a BP/Wing configuration. My reasons are NOT that it is cool or peer pressure :tomnic: (getting people off my back). Here's a couple of my reasons - 1) I'll drop a few pounds as it takes less to sink than the traditional BCD. 2) More flexibility on D ring placement and whatever I want to do. 3) Better streamlining of the equipment I do have. 4) I need another cup of coffee and can't think of them now .

Which actually brings me to this conclusion - None of those things is something that I HAVE to do right now which is why getting a BP/W set up is down the list of my limited dive gear budget. My gear works fine for me and I like it, which is what I know you're saying loud and clear. I know we all prioritize our gear purchases (except for those who are more independently wealthy than I am)! So, I finally got my Weezle Extreme Plus, replaced my dry suit zipper, and then I'll probably get one of Dusty's $300 can-light.

Anyway.... now I'm just rambling... What was I talking about? :tomnic:

Fun conversation as long as folks don't get their knickers in a twist! :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Janna,

It sounds like what you're after from the pony bottle is to have some redundancy on dives where you're solo, or doing a survey that requires significant buddy separation.

As long as we're going to throw out recommendations for entirely new systems of gear, the other thing you might consider is to just skip the BP/W and go to a sidemount rig. It's the new BP/W afterall! :taco:

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:Janna,

It sounds like what you're after from the pony bottle is to have some redundancy on dives where you're solo, or doing a survey that requires significant buddy separation.

As long as we're going to throw out recommendations for entirely new systems of gear, the other thing you might consider is to just skip the BP/W and go to a sidemount rig. It's the new BP/W afterall! :taco:

Jake
I wasn't going to say it, but... :partydance:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Something tells me Janna's pretty happy with her current gear setup.

Janna, a 19 is pretty darn small. You don't even really have to sling it, necessarily. Just clip it off wherever makes sense for you. I think the only parameter that really matters is that you can reach it and get to the reg and valve easilly. If you NEED it, you're really, really going to need it, so make sure you can reach it and deploy it. I know of one guy that drowned around here with a full pony bottle. He had it stowed somewhere on his back, but had apparently never actually tried to reach it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."