100 FT Rock

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: 100 FT Rock

Post by Nwbrewer »

Laura was that recent? Vis looked aswesome, and it seems like there's a lot more life than last time I was there. I need to go back, but walking down the tracks with my drysuit on in the heat is somewhat unappealing.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

no, that was a year or so ago, but it hasn't changed much... It was about this time of year though :)

An X scooter Sierra will make the walk much more palatable. (The CUDA will get you there faster but might not be as easy to get down the ripraff - as i always say, use the tools for the dive ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

That was awesome! I love your videos! :supz: Thank you
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
renoun
I've Got Gills

Can't dive here from shore

Post by renoun »

Unfortunately shore access across the railroad tracks is now prohibited and new No Trespassing signs have been posted. Crossing the railroad tracks risks a large fine. Still may be a good boat dive.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Tubesnout23
Submariner

Re: Can't dive here from shore

Post by Tubesnout23 »

renoun wrote:Unfortunately shore access across the railroad tracks is now prohibited and new No Trespassing signs have been posted. Crossing the railroad tracks risks a large fine. Still may be a good boat dive.
What a bummer! :angry: I was looking for a new shore dive site... :pacing:
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

Seth T. wrote:
Sounder wrote:A 73 minute dive with a max depth of 95fsw on Al80s?
Yeah, pretty impressive, huh? \:D/ I've always prided myself with breathing like a fish and it's awesome that my buddy can keep pace as well.

It's really not all that shocking. When I was diving regulary with a guy from UWS several times a week our dives usually lasted about an hour. Not much to see above 60' at Mukilteo. I remember we did a dive that was over an hr 20min something at 80' down there by the memorial and corvett .. we stayed below that most of the time chasing a baby octopus, playing with a few redrocks.

AL80's all I got anyway.

That being said, we were both quite physically fit and well accustomed to the water and co2 in the blood. I serously dont expect to do that now cuz I dont dive 3/4 times a week 2tank dives for months like I did then. And the one time was quite bit over our average and we were both shocked, :eek: we were like WHAT! For most of that dive tho we were below 75'. Also I dont do the drysuit thing... nothing but Hoovers, only wetsuit.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff2Dive wrote:
Seth T. wrote:
Yeah, pretty impressive, huh? \:D/ I've always prided myself with breathing like a fish and it's awesome that my buddy can keep pace as well.

It's really not all that shocking. When I was diving regulary with a guy from UWS several times a week our dives usually lasted about an hour. Not much to see above 60' at Mukilteo. I remember we did a dive that was over an hr 20min something at 80' down there by the memorial and corvett .. we stayed below that most of the time chasing a baby octopus, playing with a few redrocks.

AL80's all I got anyway.

That being said, we were both quite physically fit and well accustomed to the water and co2 in the blood. I serously dont expect to do that now cuz I dont dive 3/4 times a week 2tank dives for months like I did then. And the one time was quite bit over our average and we were both shocked, :eek: we were like WHAT! For most of that dive tho we were below 75'. Also I dont do the drysuit thing... nothing but Hoovers, only wetsuit.
Holy thread resurrection!

In the interest of preventing someone who doesn't know better try something extremely dumb, allow me to break this down.

The way I read your post is 80 minutes runtime with the majority of that time spent under 75fsw, on a single al80.

Assuming it was full when you started, that's 77cf of gas. If you surfaced with 500psi, you used up 64cf or so.

Divide by your 80 minute runtime gives about .8cf/min.

Let's call your average depth 70fsw, giving you a little credit for bombing down below 70 and then a quick ascent to 15' and a 3min stop. So that's 3.12 ATA's.

Your surface air consumption then is the .8cf/min adjusted for 3.12ATA depth is .26Surface cf/min. Even figuring that your average is off by 20fsw or so, at 50fsw you'd be looking at and RMV of .32sfcm.

If your recollection of the dive and mental depth average is correct, that's some ridiculous consumption! :taco:

I'm not trying to bust your balls over it, if you were really diving 3 or 4 times a week and in excellent shape your RMV may very well have been that low. I'm just saying the average new diver is going to be more like .8scfm, and should not plan a dive based on those numbers.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Re:

Post by Dashrynn »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Jeff2Dive wrote:
Seth T. wrote:

AL80's all I got anyway.

Holy thread resurrection!

In the interest of preventing someone who doesn't know better try something extremely dumb, allow me to break this down.

The way I read your post is 80 minutes runtime with the majority of that time spent under 75fsw, on a single al80.

Assuming it was full when you started, that's 77cf of gas. If you surfaced with 500psi, you used up 64cf or so.

Divide by your 80 minute runtime gives about .8cf/min.

Let's call your average depth 70fsw, giving you a little credit for bombing down below 70 and then a quick ascent to 15' and a 3min stop. So that's 3.12 ATA's.

Your surface air consumption then is the .8cf/min adjusted for 3.12ATA depth is .26Surface cf/min. Even figuring that your average is off by 20fsw or so, at 50fsw you'd be looking at and RMV of .32sfcm.

If your recollection of the dive and mental depth average is correct, that's some ridiculous consumption! :taco:

I'm not trying to bust your balls over it, if you were really diving 3 or 4 times a week and in excellent shape your RMV may very well have been that low. I'm just saying the average new diver is going to be more like .8scfm, and should not plan a dive based on those numbers.

Jake
and even for girly breathers like sounder I don't think that's possible. Could be though, I've seen crazier things. Possibly your deep was 5-10 mins? Then you came up to shallower waters? My RMV is around .45 to .52 and that's with a scooter and no kicking. I also frequent 6-8 dives a week in warm water(only 4-7 hours of bottom time).
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Now that shore access is a no-no does anyone still dive here?

Its not exactly convenient by boat and there are better boat sites between the nearest ramps and 100ft rock anyway.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

CaptnJack wrote:Now that shore access is a no-no does anyone still dive here?

Its not exactly convenient by boat and there are better boat sites between the nearest ramps and 100ft rock anyway.

100 ft rock might make a good 2nd dive on a day when tides suck and you wanna save your slack window for a more exposed dive site.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Fishstiq wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Now that shore access is a no-no does anyone still dive here?

100 ft rock might make a good 2nd dive on a day when tides suck and you wanna save your slack window for a more exposed dive site.
I guess. For me it just seems like its a long way by boat from anywheres. It was a nice shore site in its day :(
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joe, get your new boat running and lets run down there sometime from Mukilteo. It's been a long time since I dove it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

.26 - .32 RMV? Wow, even people like Lynne and Laurynn don't have consumption THAT good! :uh:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

Just to clarify,
I'm not saying "really! the fish was THIS BIG" making it up, and it's dangerous for the new and also for the unconditioned to push the limit. - we came up when the air run out :dontknow:
Our tanks were full and then some bout 2800+ and we came up with less than 500, I want to say like 300lbs left. now while we did spend some time at the 15/20' level we were deep most of the time, more than an hour for sure. And if you're not doing a bunch of swimming, but taking it easy as we were + a few other factors... It is just possible to be down deep for much longer than normal.

I just want to dive, and I'm not terribly concerned about nitro in the blood on the first dive. I've got a computer to help me calculate that real time. If my buddy is good with it, then we stay down till the air is gone, or you freeze to death, or any other reason you deem it's necessairy / practical / proper to get out the water. Just as I have been down a long time, I've likewise called a dive quits in less than 5min of down time.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tell me more about the "+ a few other factors" you speak of. Also, just curious for my own knowledge - what is your typical profile? Staying until the air is gone sounds AWESOME!!!!!!! Computer diving rules.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

26 - .32 RMV? Wow, even people like Lynne and Laurynn don't have consumption THAT good!
Uhh . . . wrong. :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

LCF wrote:
26 - .32 RMV? Wow, even people like Lynne and Laurynn don't have consumption THAT good!
Show off. Just because you get out of the water with more gas than you got in with doesn't mean you need to rub it in! :neener:
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Sounder wrote:
LCF wrote:
+1 or wrong x 2. :)

During our DATC dive on Friday evening I had a .3 DCR goin' on. I pretty much calculate DCR on every dive. And yes I am a dork. LOLOL.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: 100 FT Rock

Post by Joshua Smith »

seainggreen wrote:
Sounder wrote:
LCF wrote:
+1 or wrong x 2. :)

During our DATC dive on Friday evening I had a .3 DCR goin' on. I pretty much calculate DCR on every dive. And yes I am a dork. LOLOL.
If I could ever hope to come close to that, I might never have bought a rebreather. On a good day, I'm a .7.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
banjofish
Just Settling In

Post by banjofish »

A little history ..If this is the same place im thinking about it was called the haines wharf rock in the 70's...Only 80 feet deep at the deepest and usually a octopus under it...That marina is called haines wharf and there is a sunken mast out in front of it just to the south.. Used to belong to the university of washington for research but they cut it down and its still there I think..We used to take our advanced students out to it using the wharf as our starting point. The owner would lets us ride down the boat launch..Kinda fun...or we would jump off the pier....If this is a different place sorry....im old....but haines wharf rock is a cool dive...at least once....