Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Jeremy »

Viz in Cove 2 this morning was the best I've seen all year. Actually, it was the best I've seen since Maui last November.

Great conditions!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Viz Reports Thread

Post by Rockfish »

Mukilteo oil dock Friday morning was 20 - 25 feet. Absolutely awesome dive lots of fish and crab.
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Edmonds yesterday was wonderful. Perhaps as much as 30-35. Large flakes in the water meaning the plankton population has taken a hit.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cove 3 yesterday was awesome ... it was almost too good for teaching a Rescue class. Can't do much of a meaningful search pattern when you can see your target from 30-40 feet away ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

EUP 7-20-2011

Post by Norris »

We dove the park at 7pm last night. The viz was phenominal!!! I am talking 25'+. The currents were a little strong towards the height of ebb but WOW what a dive. 72 minutes bottom time and I got lots of video.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

How does the viz go from so bad (3-5 feet on the 9th) to amazingly good (40+ feet on the 16th) in just one week??
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Jeremy wrote:How does the viz go from so bad (3-5 feet on the 9th) to amazingly good (40+ feet on the 16th) in just one week??

Magic.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by Norris »

Penopolypants wrote:
Jeremy wrote:How does the viz go from so bad (3-5 feet on the 9th) to amazingly good (40+ feet on the 16th) in just one week??

Magic.
+1

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Viz at Hoodsport tonight ~7:30pm on the incoming tide was a bit murky down to around 50fsw, then opened up nicely to at least 15ft viz.
:supz:
MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Could be a cold water upwelling that shocked the phytoplankton, or a depression of nutrients, lack of light energy, which isn't really a problem for phytoplankton when there is 15+ hours of daylight, even when overcast. One thing to keep in mind that a body of water is kinda like a lava lamp, different pockets of temperatures, salinities, both which effect density, and of course turbidities. I've had days were the difference between the vis of two dives separated by a few hours is in excess of 25 feet.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Viz at Redondo on Friday the 22nd was 25-30.
Life is good, let's dive!!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Yay! Hope it holds. Taking OW class there tomorrow.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Vis was great at the 'dondo today, maybe 25 ft.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

KVI was 20ish, Maury Island Barges were about 10-12. Lots and lots and lots and lots of Rat Fish. Fair number of Rock Fish to boot. Wolfie at KVI and my dive buddies lost Blk/Gry Scubapro split fin is at Maury Island Barges if any one happens to find it she would be happy.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Cove II was great in the shallows, perhaps 20' above 45fsw. Big school of something tiny had just hatched and was hanging out in a big school around the riprap at the South end of the cove in 10fsw. Had a great 45min. dive with JohnClark who rocks for just being out of OW Class last week.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Titlow Beach, vis about 15'. One nice octo at the ledges....and wow has the kelp and seaweed gotten huge!
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

It's been 20-25 feet at Alki Junkyard all weekend. Gorgeous.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

We dove Redondo on Friday evening at high tide, 7-29. Looks like summer has hit, viz was about 10' with lots of large particulate and gunk in the water.
Life is good, let's dive!!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Teaching at Cove 2 yesterday and today -- yesterday's viz, at low tide, was AWFUL -- less than ten feet (and this was BEFORE we got there). Today had improved to about 15 when we arrived at 6, and deteriorated through the morning as the tide went out.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

T-Dock this evening @ 6 ish was 5-15' depending on where you were... Lots of guck in the water... But the crab limit for the day was filled... Yum... :burntchef:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

sunday, cove 2, 1pm-ish, about 6 feet tops. maybe less.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sunday July 31, Sund Rock North wall, vis approx 3' down to about 15 fsw, then approx 8-10' down to approx 60 fsw, then approx 10-15' vis! 5 octos, 2 wolfies....one diver searching for lost weight pouch on exit! :bow:
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Cove 2 on Tuesday at noon: 15' vis at 35-55 fsw.
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

15 ft at Alki Junkyard Tuesday 08/02/2011 at 8pm.
Plan the dive, dive the plan. Unless you see something really cool...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Cove 2 last night was a futzy 15' or so with lots of particles in the water.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!