scuba doo gets a radar and tower

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

scuba doo gets a radar and tower

Post by no excuses »

with the new boat I have been wanting to put radar, radar tower and rocket launchers on it for tuna season. I looked around at several towers but wow the pricce is unreal. So I bought a spool gun, figured out a design and built my own. I already had the bender and the mig welder so I had most of the items I needed. three sticks of 1.25" pipe and a stick of 1.5"pipe for the pole holders, a few pieces of 3/16 flat plate and bar and I was good to go. Well besides a lot of a__ time figuring out the spool gun and settings.

A big thanks to Marie, she did all the cutting, grinding, notching ect ect, and saves me a lot of time.

I started bending

and test fitting

Last edited by no excuses on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: scuba doo gets a radar and tower

Post by no excuses »

added a few pole holders

no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

added the radar mount with a forward tilt of 3-4 degrees, also added the white all around light mount on top.

Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Where are you going to run the cable for the radar, anchor light?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Nice pics on the wall
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nice work. That looks real nice. If you don't mind me asking, what brand bender is that? I've been looking at picking up a Williams Lowbuck, but yours appears to have a very nice degree wheel and the ability to do tighter radius bends.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Linedog wrote:Where are you going to run the cable for the radar, anchor light?
down through the tubes
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

airsix wrote:Nice work. That looks real nice. If you don't mind me asking, what brand bender is that? I've been looking at picking up a Williams Lowbuck, but yours appears to have a very nice degree wheel and the ability to do tighter radius bends.

-Ben
JD2 model 3. I built the cart for it so I can roll it around and the tube ges bent vert. instead of horizontel.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wow, that's a big DIY project -- I'm really impressed. Nice work.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

went with the lowrance LRA-1800 that will work with my current gps/plotter and if I ever buy a HDS unit it will also work with them.

Test fitting with the radar

the tabs are for a pair of lightst for the back deck

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow it almost looks like you knew what you were doin! :smt064

Ya think ya got enough pole holders??? :eek:

Nice work.

What kind of spool gun did you get and how much did they nail you for. I looked at one for my wire feed and they wanted more than I paid for the welder! :nutty:
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

Dusty2 wrote:Wow it almost looks like you knew what you were doin! :smt064

first project bending pipe ever, well ok maybe not my first rodeo lol :angelblue: . I just hate paying for something I can build.

Ya think ya got enough pole holders??? :eek:

only 32 :taco: counting the net/gaff holders that also hold poles, and the plastic scotty rod holders around the gunnel and transom.

Nice work. thanks

What kind of spool gun did you get and how much did they nail you for. I looked at one for my wire feed and they wanted more than I paid for the welder! :nutty:

for my miller 175 I bought the miller spoolmate 100 for $250 with the switch so I can just switch leads, bottles and flip the switch and choose mig or spoolgun. Only takes 10-15 min to convert. Miller recommended the spoolmate 3035 on a older machine like mine that goes for around $700, found out I could use the spoolmate 100 so I went that route and saved $$$. Before I bought the 3035 for that $$ I would by a AC/DC tig.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

radar, vhf antena, and anchor light mounted with spare wires also pulled for the deck lights.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yeh, That's what I told the dude when he told me they wanted $749.95 for one to fit mine. I didn't need a whole new machine just a spoolgun! :eek:
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

Looks awesome, can't wait for the vacation to start in 2 days. Going to be a blast, try out that new speargun to!
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

great job, stan! i wish i had welding skills like that and the space for it too!

when you're done with this project, let's talk about building a brewing stand for me. i'll pay you in beer.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Nice work Stan! I do think you might need a few more rod holders though. I'll be up soon to pick up "Scuba Doo 1" and give you some cash to help pay for all that.
spatman wrote:great job, stan! i wish i had welding skills like that and the space for it too!

when you're done with this project, let's talk about building a brewing stand for me. i'll pay you in beer.
Good luck paying Stan in beer!
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

citycatred wrote:Nice pics on the wall
They are quite nice. I think at least two decades are covered.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

spatman wrote:great job, stan! i wish i had welding skills like that and the space for it too!

Let me know, I work better for diet Mt. Dew though :partyman: . :neener:
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

[quote="ORDiver"]Nice work Stan! I do think you might need a few more rod holders though. I'll be up soon to pick up "Scuba Doo 1" and give you some cash to help pay for all that.

Been thinking about taking it out Tuna fishing and get a lil blood on it since I cannot dive for another month or two ;).
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

no excuses wrote:

i can't brew diet mt dew, but i sure can run over to costco for it!

i'll get some drawings together and when you're ready, we can talk. :taco:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dang Stan, I should have you make a custom arch for Water Dog. I'd love to have a tiny radar for fall fog, get my VHF antenna and all-around lights up higher, and add some storage space for life jackets.

Mine would have to be only 1 arch since the idea is it would just attach at the transom. What is the biggest size tube you can bend?

I can even pay in Mnt Dew :D
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Wow, very nice project work!

One question, though - where are the rocket launchers? Are those in Phase II, or are you putting in stealth technology? :pirate:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

spatman wrote:
no excuses wrote:

i can't brew diet mt dew, but i sure can run over to costco for it!

i'll get some drawings together and when you're ready, we can talk. :taco:
I will be on vacation to the coast but will get with you when I get back.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

CaptnJack wrote:Dang Stan, I should have you make a custom arch for Water Dog. I'd love to have a tiny radar for fall fog, get my VHF antenna and all-around lights up higher, and add some storage space for life jackets.

Mine would have to be only 1 arch since the idea is it would just attach at the transom. What is the biggest size tube you can bend?

I can even pay in Mnt Dew :D
Richard, I have the die for 1.25" pipe (1.625" OD) but they make dies for up to 2" pipe (around 2.5"). Sounds like you would want what I had on the inflatable also. I did not have the radar mount but did have my radio antenna, gps puck and a couple of pole holders on it, although that was out of mild steel.