Free-diving class advice

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Free-diving class advice

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I am going on a cruise this winter and was wondering if it would be worth taking a free-diving course. I do not really want to rent scuba gear.

Would you recommend taking a class to increase my breathold, or does it take years to learn?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheahan
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Free-diving class advice

Post by Norris »

Borrow SCUBA gear...
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

rent gear, or lay by the pool
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Sheahan, without training I can hit 40 ft but its only for 40 seconds (thats the average). I'm not trained. We are about the same size and I'm pretty sure we are the same on the fitness level. You can find some videos on techniques but SWB (shallow water blackout) is something I see mentioned alot so I never do anything pushing my limits without another person watching.

How deep would you want to go?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

come back to us... Come back
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Dashrynn wrote:Sheahan, without training I can hit 40 ft but its only for 40 seconds (thats the average). I'm not trained. We are about the same size and I'm pretty sure we are the same on the fitness level. You can find some videos on techniques but SWB (shallow water blackout) is something I see mentioned alot so I never do anything pushing my limits without another person watching.

I just want to extend my bottom time; I think I have a whopping 30 seconds right now. 40’ I would think would be plenty deep. But yeah I would like to avoid the whole shallow water blackout!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Performance Free Diving (http://www.performancefreediving.com/) runs classes in Vancouver that will help you a lot. The local point of contact is Sean Hartman and his email is: sean@seandh.com. He is pretty good about getting back to you quickly and with good information.

I do not have any affiliation with them, so this isn't a plug, but I am planning to take a couple of their courses next summer.

Cheers,

Marc
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Sheahan, without training I can hit 40 ft but its only for 40 seconds (thats the average). I'm not trained. We are about the same size and I'm pretty sure we are the same on the fitness level. You can find some videos on techniques but SWB (shallow water blackout) is something I see mentioned alot so I never do anything pushing my limits without another person watching.

I just want to extend my bottom time; I think I have a whopping 30 seconds right now. 40’ I would think would be plenty deep. But yeah I would like to avoid the whole shallow water blackout!
Hopefully the freediver from hawaii will chime in with his experience. But from what I have read and experienced, your hydrodynamics are very important, the way you descend, keeping your hands forward and not by your side flapping in the water helps A LOT(I improved by 10 feet and around 5 seconds or more just by improving technique). Also your fin choice is important. I'm still learning but, I do hope this little bit of experience helps you.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

I took a freediving class in Bonaire (as a favor for a friend) in January. He was starting a new course and wanted test "students" to evaluate it before going live.

I found the class surprisingly informative and worthwhile. There is a lot of theory and history behind freediving, and some good techniques that you learn to help increase your bottom time. While I would never quit scuba to freedive, it is nice to know the techniques for freediving for those days when diving just isn't possible or practical. Plus, freediving lets you experience the underwater world in a much quieter way than scuba.

I blogged about my experience here if you are interested in the details:

http://lizsundquist.com/2011/02/09/free ... n-bonaire/

Hope this helps!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

lizard0924 wrote:I took a freediving class in Bonaire (as a favor for a friend) in January. He was starting a new course and wanted test "students" to evaluate it before going live.

I found the class surprisingly informative and worthwhile. There is a lot of theory and history behind freediving, and some good techniques that you learn to help increase your bottom time. While I would never quit scuba to freedive, it is nice to know the techniques for freediving for those days when diving just isn't possible or practical. Plus, freediving lets you experience the underwater world in a much quieter way than scuba.

I blogged about my experience here if you are interested in the details:

http://lizsundquist.com/2011/02/09/free ... n-bonaire/

Hope this helps!
Great write up! That's what I was thinking just a day class!