9mm composite?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

9mm composite?

Post by CaptnJack »

Does anyone local have a 9mm-ish sized composite pistol? Ever take it to a range where the public is welcome? I am considering one and wanna try some out beforehand, if you don't mind me shooting a half box or so... PM me and we'll coordinate, thanks. I am in Kitsap but any poor vis Saturday or Sunday afternoon might work.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: 9mm composite?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nope. But if you're interested in....uh.....more masculine Calibers, drop me a line.

*edit- sorry, couldn't help myself. Nothing wrong with 9mm, per se. Or composite, for that matter. If Sig Sauer 9mm is good enough for the SEALS, it's good enough. I just favor larger bores. I have a KImber .45 and a S+W .357 you're more than welcome to try out, and I have a lot of opinions about firearms, which I try hard to keep to myself. But feel free to PM me if you want. FWIW, Wade's guns in Bellevue has a pretty nice selection of rental guns you can try out. The caveat is that you have to use their crappy overpriced ammo when you rent their guns, but it's still a nice way to get a "feel" for something.
Last edited by Joshua Smith on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:Does anyone local have a 9mm-ish sized composite pistol? Ever take it to a range where the public is welcome? I am considering one and wanna try some out beforehand, if you don't mind me shooting a half box or so... PM me and we'll coordinate, thanks. I am in Kitsap but any poor vis Saturday or Sunday afternoon might work.
Be sure to hold it sideways so you look cool.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I'm sure you'll get some offers but in case you don't, two of the gun ranges near me have a pass for like $25 or so that will let you shoot as many of their rental pistols as you like. Good way to compare side by side. All I have right now is a 357 mag revolver. But I'm looking hard at some of the subcompacts like the Glock 27 and the H&K.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:I'm sure you'll get some offers but in case you don't, two of the gun ranges near me have a pass for like $25 or so that will let you shoot as many of their rental pistols as you like. Good way to compare side by side. All I have right now is a 357 mag revolver. But I'm looking hard at some of the subcompacts like the Glock 27 and the H&K.
That sounds perfect actually. The range over here doesn't rent anything. The woodinville one?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

There's one in Everett that I know of and one in Arlington. Never been to the one in Woodinville.

http://beegc.org/samsgsr/samsgsr.html

Sam's gun club is in Everett. They have a decent selection of 9mm stuff. $12 for a multipe gun rental but you have to purchase the ammo from them. If you're looking for a specific model call ahead and ask if they have one in rental. It's a ways away from you though so you might be able to find a similar deal closer to you
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Just curious. Why a 9 mil? Do you want the compact version or the standard size? I'm like Joshua, I like bigger bores. That's not to say I don't have small cals too. But if you are thinking of packing one with a CCW permit, then IMHO, I would suggest a 40 cal. I have one H & K in 40 cal, compact version. Let me know if you want to try mine. My barrel is way cold and it needs some warming up. The Northwest is not hot enough that any given day you can wear 2 layers of clothing to cover your piece. On really warm days, I pack a .380 in my pocket. You won't even notice it's there. Again, just my 2 cents, I think 9 mm's are overrated. It was very popular in the 80's and 90's. But if you research about it, more and more police departments and the like have switched to the 40 cal for obvious reasons. The only advantage the 9 mil have in some models is the high capacity mag.

PS: A concealed .22 is better than a .45 caliber just sitting in the closet locked up when you feel your life is on the line.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

coulterboy wrote:Just curious. Why a 9 mil? Do you want the compact version or the standard size? I'm like Joshua, I like bigger bores. That's not to say I don't have small cals too. But if you are thinking of packing one with a CCW permit, then IMHO, I would suggest a 40 cal. I have one H & K in 40 cal, compact version. Let me know if you want to try mine. My barrel is way cold and it needs some warming up. The Northwest is not hot enough that any given day you can wear 2 layers of clothing to cover your piece. On really warm days, I pack a .380 in my pocket. You won't even notice it's there. Again, just my 2 cents, I think 9 mm's are overrated. It was very popular in the 80's and 90's. But if you research about it, more and more police departments and the like have switched to the 40 cal for obvious reasons. The only advantage the 9 mil have in some models is the high capacity mag.

PS: A concealed .22 is better than a .45 caliber just sitting in the closet locked up when you feel your life is on the line.

All good advice. I, too, would recommend a .40 over a 9mm. The only real downside is the muzzle flip from the perky .40 rounds...but one gets used to it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Oops! I forgot to cover that part. Thanks Josh. True, being that my H/K in 40 is compact, it takes some practice to get used to the muzzle flip, but with practice, you can be smoooooth with it in no time. The standard version (regular size) in the H/K has the patented "rear kick", but is not apparent in the compact sizes. Good point.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

coulterboy wrote:Just curious. Why a 9 mil? Do you want the compact version or the standard size? I'm like Joshua, I like bigger bores. That's not to say I don't have small cals too. But if you are thinking of packing one with a CCW permit, then IMHO, I would suggest a 40 cal. I have one H & K in 40 cal, compact version. Let me know if you want to try mine. My barrel is way cold and it needs some warming up. The Northwest is not hot enough that any given day you can wear 2 layers of clothing to cover your piece. On really warm days, I pack a .380 in my pocket. You won't even notice it's there. Again, just my 2 cents, I think 9 mm's are overrated. It was very popular in the 80's and 90's. But if you research about it, more and more police departments and the like have switched to the 40 cal for obvious reasons. The only advantage the 9 mil have in some models is the high capacity mag.

0.40 is under consideration, in a compact though. I'm not really the dirty harry type, I just need that ballistic scent back in my nostrils :p I've been skeet shooting recently, but honestly haven't shot a handgun since I was maybe 12yo. So I don't really know exactly what I want.

Mid to smaller caliber
Composite (I've learned to hate wood in general)
Compact frame
Reliable and easy to clean and generally deal with for a noob
Not a gold plated price
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:There's one in Everett that I know of and one in Arlington. Never been to the one in Woodinville.

http://beegc.org/samsgsr/samsgsr.html

Sam's gun club is in Everett. They have a decent selection of 9mm stuff. $12 for a multipe gun rental but you have to purchase the ammo from them. If you're looking for a specific model call ahead and ask if they have one in rental. It's a ways away from you though so you might be able to find a similar deal closer to you
Thanks
I'm gonna shoot some with fishboy over here in Kitsap and then call and see what they have rental-wise that might be on my short list.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I like my USP .40 compact, but Coulterboy is right, It's a bit much to conceal in warm weather.

Doug was kidding, but Gangster style shooting (sideways hold) is all the rage now in certain circles. I've seen accurate hits from the holster in under 2 seconds on a Pro-timer.

It all depends on what you're looking to do with it Richard. If you want light weight small caliber concealable gun, get what you know you will carry. If you want a large caliber pistol that will impress your friends that you can carry once in awhile when you feel like it, get a .45. Otherwise if it's going to sit in a closet somewhere, get whatever you want.

Just remember, if you have a gun that you can legally carry concealed, and you decide it's too inconvenient to take it with you for whatever reason, when you leave the house without it, lock the door behind you, look around, take a deep breath and say, "BAAAAAAA"
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Pez7378 wrote:Just remember, if you have a gun that you can legally carry concealed, and you decide it's too inconvenient to take it with you for whatever reason, when you leave the house without it, lock the door behind you, look around, take a deep breath and say, "BAAAAAAA"
Too true...

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the punch bigger holes department. I now have a Px4 subcompact in 40... fun gun but I really enjoyed shooting my Sig 226 in 40. I had put a sig 375 barrel in it and quickly realized what a tremendous waste of money that was.
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

To agree and disagree with a lot of the posts thus far. I think caliber has very little to do with the best concealment gun. I’ve got a mixed bag from little to big but my best carrying gun is a Kimber full frame 1911. I can wear shorts and an untucked t-shirt and you’d never know I had it. Works for my build. When I run/bike I have to go smaller but that is more because I don't have a belt than anything else.

However gun frame/style make a huge difference for carrying. IMHO a glock is not all that great for CCW work simply because they're 1.25” wide in and boxy so it’s pretty clunky unless you have it in a pocket. Anyway nice thread.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I really have no interest in carrying it open or concealed. I doubt I would even buy a holster. Seriously I just wanna shoot recreationally sometimes. And my wife will probably use it as well and with her body size a full size/larger caliber (probably even a 0.40) is likely to be excessive to the point of uncomfortable. Hence the "9mm-ish" (0.38, whatever and compact frame) in my original post. So yes it will probably sit in a closet somewhere 350 days a year and come out dark rainy winter weekday nights. You know when watching the 12 different crime shows on TV is boring and I decide to get up off my arse and go to the range lol.

The problem is deciding "whatever I want" when the last time I shot a handgun it was a revolver and I was about 12yo. Its great that more than one place rents for little more than the price of ammo. We don't have anything like that over here in Kitsap. There are 2 non-profit ranges both maybe 25-30mins from my house, they don't rent. And there's ~2 shops but they don't have ranges.

Anyway I am gonna call fishboy when I get home from vacation in 2 weeks. Then probably go rent. Does anyone want to join me in Everett for a rent & shoot day in late August?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Just another suggestion. If, and whenever, you have purchased the handgun you and your wife like, I would suggest not just limiting to shooting your gun indoors. Shooting a gun outdoors in open air is a different experience. Now, you're dealing with the elements, such as wind, sunshine, etc. It's fun. I used to live in Grays Harbor County, and as you know, hundreds of miles of endless logging roads. Enjoy!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

CaptnJack wrote:?..And my wife will probably use it as well and with her body size a full size/larger caliber (probably even a 0.40) is likely to be excessive to the point of uncomfortable. Hence the "9mm-ish" (0.38, whatever and compact frame) in my original post....
FWIW...

You mentioned that your wife will be using it, but you weren't specific as to how. If she will only be using it at the range with you or whatever, the following is irrelevant. If the gun may be used for home defense while you are away or something like that, a revolver is the way to go without question. They are small and lightweight and require almost no maintenance. There is no spring fatigue or risk of jamming like a semi auto. You can see at a glance wether it's loaded or not. The biggest point though is that they have smaller grips which are easier for someone with smaller hands (women), and no slide to rack (also statistically more difficult for women due to smaller hands and weaker grip). Those are two huge tasks when in an emergency that are easily eliminated through weapon choice.

Oh, and forget ammo capacity. It's irrelevant. The average home invasion involving a firearm is in the dark, 1.5 shots are fired, the two subjects are 7 to 8 feet apart, and lasts under 3 seconds. If you can hit your bedroom door from your bed in one shot at night, you're set. If you can't, chances are the rest of the rounds in the gun will end up someplace you really don't want them to be.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

PM enroute... :bye:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Eh not really all that worried about self defense honestly. In my house, the shotgun is locked with ammo separate. I see no reason to do differently with a handgun. She's 5'4" and 125lbs with small hands. I need to get her a smaller shotgun actually, probably 20gauge although if anyone has a .410 they dont mind loaning she might want to try it.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Fishstiq wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:?..And my wife will probably use it as well and with her body size a full size/larger caliber (probably even a 0.40) is likely to be excessive to the point of uncomfortable. Hence the "9mm-ish" (0.38, whatever and compact frame) in my original post....
FWIW...

You mentioned that your wife will be using it, but you weren't specific as to how. If she will only be using it at the range with you or whatever, the following is irrelevant. If the gun may be used for home defense while you are away or something like that, a revolver is the way to go without question. They are small and lightweight and require almost no maintenance. There is no spring fatigue or risk of jamming like a semi auto. You can see at a glance wether it's loaded or not. The biggest point though is that they have smaller grips which are easier for someone with smaller hands (women), and no slide to rack (also statistically more difficult for women due to smaller hands and weaker grip). Those are two huge tasks when in an emergency that are easily eliminated through weapon choice.

Oh, and forget ammo capacity. It's irrelevant. The average home invasion involving a firearm is in the dark, 1.5 shots are fired, the two subjects are 7 to 8 feet apart, and lasts under 3 seconds. If you can hit your bedroom door from your bed in one shot at night, you're set. If you can't, chances are the rest of the rounds in the gun will end up someplace you really don't want them to be.
Home protection??? I rock one o deze loaded as such "shot, slug, shot, slug" Just the sound of chambering a shell would most likely negate the need to fire it. Hangs out by the nightstand.
I know this is WAY off topic but I wanted to flex some testoserone and be all gun talky. :joshsmith:

**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: 9mm composite?

Post by scottsax »

CaptnJack wrote: Does anyone want to join me in Everett for a rent & shoot day in late August?
I'm in.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

It's fun that opinions vary so widely.

Richard, here is my no-hijack, no-BS recommendation.

1) find a range that offers rentals and try out a few different pistols. It's the cheapest way to find what you like.
2) There is nothing wrong with 9mm. I love it for many reasons. Low cost ammo, manageable recoil, acceptable ballistics. Since you primarily want a range/recreational shooter I think 9mm is ideal. I don't think .40 or anything larger would be ideal based on your intended use.
3) If I had to hand you a weapon right now without another word, knowing you'd be stuck with it forever? Glock 19 hands down, no question. Why? Indestructible, reliable, in the caliber you want, accurate, and I would expect it to be a very good ergonomic match for you - more so than any of the other Glock frame sizes. There are a lot of polymer 9mms but the G19 is by far my favorite polymer 9. Whatever you do, try out as many as you can. I bought a baby-glock once on feel alone and hated shooting it. Based on feel alone I thought I'd hate full-frame 1911s, but found I really enjoy them. So, like diving equipment you have to just get out there and try a few different things and see for yourself.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

airsix wrote:It's fun that opinions vary so widely.

Richard, here is my no-hijack, no-BS recommendation.

1) find a range that offers rentals and try out a few different pistols. It's the cheapest way to find what you like.
2) There is nothing wrong with 9mm. I love it for many reasons. Low cost ammo, manageable recoil, acceptable ballistics. Since you primarily want a range/recreational shooter I think 9mm is ideal. I don't think .40 or anything larger would be ideal based on your intended use.
3) If I had to hand you a weapon right now without another word, knowing you'd be stuck with it forever? Glock 19 hands down, no question. Why? Indestructible, reliable, in the caliber you want, accurate, and I would expect it to be a very good ergonomic match for you - more so than any of the other Glock frame sizes. There are a lot of polymer 9mms but the G19 is by far my favorite polymer 9. Whatever you do, try out as many as you can. I bought a baby-glock once on feel alone and hated shooting it. Based on feel alone I thought I'd hate full-frame 1911s, but found I really enjoy them. So, like diving equipment you have to just get out there and try a few different things and see for yourself.
+1

For anyone lurking, I recommended almost exactly what Ben did... except renting. :bye: I also highly recommend taking an appropriate class to match your interest and skill level from Insights Training (www.insightstraining.com).

Now Ben, we need to get started on that dualing target!! :partydance:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Come on over, dive and shoot with us Ben. And thank you for appreciating the "down-size" from 0.40 or even larger. I'm not looking to knock down bears here, break the bank on the gun itself nor have it too expensive to shoot regularly.

I don't know the glock frame sizes honestly, which is why I want to borrow or rent exactly what I end up with. I have modestly big hands for my weight/height, Melody has tiny hands. I don't really want to get an armory, just one pistol and probably new shotguns for us both by next Xmas.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

If'n all you want to do is shoot, just get a .22. You can shoot all day for $20.

We put several hundred rounds though my Buckmark and .22 1911 last night.
Purveyor of crack ;)