$225 to $250 for a neck seal?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Geek
Pelagic

Re: $225 to $250 for a neck seal?

Post by Geek »

Norris wrote: So if I am NOT paying almost double then what I can get from numerous shops, I am jeopardizing my life?? I just want to make sure that I am clear on this point...The more you pay, the safer you will be?
Yes, now give me $1500 I have this yellow pistol grip light that will keep you safe from manbearpig and that giant skate you keep claiming to see...
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

spatman wrote:
Tangfish wrote:I sent my DUI in to Mark Owens at Superior Diving Repair. He is a bit of a wily rascal in terms of communication (prefers phone calls to emails, if I remember correctly), and you'll have to ship your suit, but his prices and quality of repair/alteration are off the charts.

<snip>

I highly recommend sending him some photos of you in the suit, if you're gonna have him do custom work. It helps him to visualize the fit, etc.
i have to chime in here regarding Superior Repair. last year i sent my pinnacle suit to them for some alterations with very detailed notes and photographs, only to receive a completely botched job.

first of all, they had the suit for nearly eight weeks, after they had assured me it would be shipped back within two. once i got the suit back, i discovered they removed way too much material in the upper torso, making the suit restrictive and uncomfortable. furthermore, they reattached the neoprene booties so that the toes pointed inwards, one of them almost 90° off center.

i called them to see about rectifying the problems, and without going into too much detail about the exchanges, was basically told that they felt they followed my instructions (like i had asked for the booties to be put on sideways??), and that i would have to pay them for further alterations.

when it was all said and done, i wasted a lot of money on a new drysuit and alterations and was forced to sell the suit at a huge loss.

i will never recommend Superior Diving Repair to anyone, and would advise looking for a suitable local alternative before sending an expensive piece of gear out into the void.

I know a guy in Tacoma that could have saved you some headache :angelblue:

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Geek wrote:I know a guy in Tacoma that could have saved you some headache :angelblue:
once again, pointing out the obvious. :partyman:
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

That's Captain Obvious to you.... I'm also Captain of Team Little Bus as well... Respect the rank dude

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Geek wrote:
Norris wrote: So if I am NOT paying almost double then what I can get from numerous shops, I am jeopardizing my life?? I just want to make sure that I am clear on this point...The more you pay, the safer you will be?
Yes, now give me $1500 I have this yellow pistol grip light that will keep you safe from manbearpig and that giant skate you keep claiming to see...
Actually I want my buddy to be safe too so would you mind if I gave you 2000.00?

(and sasquatch WAS chasing a skate in the photo, I dont care WHAT you say)
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Geek wrote:
Manbearpig!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Geek wrote:I know a guy in Tacoma that could have saved you some headache :angelblue:
Perhaps, or perhaps not.

I'm in the middle of a pretty serious headache.

Work done in shop has always been good. Work sent out not always.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

ljjames wrote:I watched Wally take more than "2 to 2.5 hrs tops" on a neoprene neck seal. Are you saying he's not experience or doing something correctly?

What is a service technician's time worth?

What should be the going rate?

These people work on your life support equipment, they rebuild your regs, fix your suits? What is that worth to you? if you disagree that a neck seal isn't a part of your life support equipment try doing an hour dive in our water fully flooded. Try doing a deco dive fully flooded.

How much do you pay your auto mechanic? Your Lawyer? bike mechanic? Your housekeeper? Your gardener? Your hairdresser (assuming you are not going to Rudys)..... What is YOUR time worth?

165.00... isn't that about the same as a DUI zip neck seal? (not even counting the original cost of the rings on the suit themselves)

Why is it that folks think that working on your scuba gear, or teach your kid to dive safely should be paid 10 dollars (or less) an hour? This is part of the problem in the diving industry. what is diving worth to you?

Laura, you keep saying NEOPRENE and we are talking latex - 2 totally different beasts and yes Neoprene is much harder and time consuming.

Here's the basics on a LATEX replacement the way we did them and the way DUI does them.

Remove old seal and clean suit setup for new seal- 10 minutes to 20 minutes depending on the condition -
Prep new seal - 10 minutes
Apply first coat of seal cement - 2 minutes
Take 10 minute break
Apply 2nd coat of seal cement - 2 minutes
take 10 minute break
Apply 3rd coat of seal cement - 2 minutes
take 5 minute break
Stick seal to the suit and make sure all is good. 10 minutes

Let dry overnight preferably
Unclamp suit, flip inside out and prep for Aquaseal 10 minutes
Mix 50/50 aquaseal/cotol and apply first coat around inside of the seal - 5 minutes
Take 10
Apply 2nd coat - 2 minutes
take 10
Apply 3rd coat and let dry -2 minutes.

There are exceptions, but generally this means a latex seal should take about 65 minutes hands on time. So if a shop gets $60 and hour tech time and about $50 for the seal, my $90 to $125 is spot on.
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dmitchell wrote: There are exceptions, but generally this means a latex seal should take about 65 minutes hands on time. So if a shop gets $60 and hour tech time and about $50 for the seal, my $90 to $125 is spot on.
Yeah mean even in Alaska, land of $8 milk, you aren't charging $225??? :burntchef:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

You know that is not what I said.

Norris wrote:
ljjames wrote:I watched Wally take more than "2 to 2.5 hrs tops" on a neoprene neck seal. Are you saying he's not experience or doing something correctly?

What is a service technician's time worth?

What should be the going rate?

These people work on your life support equipment, they rebuild your regs, fix your suits? What is that worth to you? if you disagree that a neck seal isn't a part of your life support equipment try doing an hour dive in our water fully flooded. Try doing a deco dive fully flooded.

How much do you pay your auto mechanic? Your Lawyer? bike mechanic? Your housekeeper? Your gardener? Your hairdresser (assuming you are not going to Rudys)..... What is YOUR time worth?

165.00... isn't that about the same as a DUI zip neck seal? (not even counting the original cost of the rings on the suit themselves)

Why is it that folks think that working on your scuba gear, or teach your kid to dive safely should be paid 10 dollars (or less) an hour? This is part of the problem in the diving industry. what is diving worth to you?
So if I am NOT paying almost double then what I can get from numerous shops, I am jeopardizing my life?? I just want to make sure that I am clear on this point...The more you pay, the safer you will be?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

A quick disclaimer; I've been diving with SW for 5 years and have been a DM for the shop for the last two...

Yep, $165 for a neck seal is a chunk of change, and yes, you can probably get it done cheaper elsewhere. Craig charges what he feels is fair for the amount of work that goes into doing the job. I've done my own seals have to say it can be a pain in the ass working with the chemicals trying to remove old glue and would rather pay $165 to have it done than get another MEK headache.

So why would I pay $165 to replace a neck seal when I can get it done across town for less money? I look at it from the standpoint of value rather than price. I log about 150 local dives and take 3 warm water trips a year and I've never missed a dive because my gear was in for service. Whenever I've had a problem with a piece of equipment that I've purchased from SW it's either been fixed while I wait, been replaced with a new item off the shop floor, or I've been given a loaner until it's taken care of. Do I pay a few extra dollars here and there? Yep, but the value of the services that I receive by far outweigh the few dollars I would have saved.

Bill
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Geek wrote:That's Captain Obvious to you.... I'm also Captain of Team Little Bus as well... Respect the rank dude
I thought I was captain of team little bus...seeing that you and Spatty constantly call me that....
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

citycatred wrote:
Geek wrote:That's Captain Obvious to you.... I'm also Captain of Team Little Bus as well... Respect the rank dude
I thought I was captain of team little bus...seeing that you and Spatty constantly call me that....
no, you're captain of the little team, bus or not.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

spatman wrote:
citycatred wrote:
no, you're captain of the little team, bus or not.
:angelblue:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Spatman and Geek are just towel boys with delusions of grandeur.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:Spatman and Geek are just towel boys with delusions of grandeur.
my towel boy grandeur is hardly a delusion.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: $225 to $250 for a neck seal?

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Spatman and Geek are just towel boys with delusions of grandeur.
It's true. When Spatty manages to squeeze himself into those tiny sparkly gold short-shorts at the Men Only bathouse where he works, he's like a completely different person.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: $225 to $250 for a neck seal?

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
spatman wrote:
It's true. When Spatty manages to squeeze himself into those tiny sparkly gold short-shorts at the Men Only bathouse where he works, he's like a completely different person.
only because you're the best tipper there.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

citycatred wrote:
Yabbut, your little bus is gonna grow up someday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Grandeur? HAH!

I am just deluded so there :neener:

citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Grateful Diver wrote:
citycatred wrote:
Yabbut, your little bus is gonna grow up someday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
We shall see lol
Cynthia Heimel
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

i paid 250 bucks at Tacoma Scuba last night when i picked up my dry suit at TS last night after wally replaced my neck seal, but he also replaced my wrist seals, sold me a new set of gloves and serviced a regulator set.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

The most time consuming part of doing a seal replacement is the prep work. On both latex and neoprene seals. If the suit has lots of old clue, or the previous job was sloppy it will take more prep work. I have seen some suits that came from other shops that look like a 2 year old dribbled glue all over it. That equals more time. That equals more money. If its the first time the seal has been replaced it previous goes nice and smooth. Bottom line is get a WRITTEN QUOTE before the work is done. If you don't like the quote don't get the work done there. State law requires a repair shop to call the customer for authorization if the cost of repairs is more than 25% of the written quote. when you go pick up your item inspect the work. if you are not happy, address the problem THEN AND THERE! It is much easier for us to fix the problem if you tell us right away. Hope this helps. Feel free to call me at the shop with ANY questions on ANY repairs.

Wally
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

wallyc72 wrote:The most time consuming part of doing a seal replacement is the prep work. On both latex and neoprene seals. If the suit has lots of old clue, or the previous job was sloppy it will take more prep work. I have seen some suits that came from other shops that look like a 2 year old dribbled glue all over it. That equals more time. That equals more money. If its the first time the seal has been replaced it previous goes nice and smooth. Bottom line is get a WRITTEN QUOTE before the work is done. If you don't like the quote don't get the work done there. State law requires a repair shop to call the customer for authorization if the cost of repairs is more than 25% of the written quote. when you go pick up your item inspect the work. if you are not happy, address the problem THEN AND THERE! It is much easier for us to fix the problem if you tell us right away. Hope this helps. Feel free to call me at the shop with ANY questions on ANY repairs.

Wally
My suit resembled that remark.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY