Does anyone own this book?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Does anyone own this book?

Post by guitarmaker »

I saw a book that sounded interesting and was wondering if anyone owned it and what your opinion was?

Six Skills and Other Discussions: creative solutions for technical divers

http://www.techdivertraining.org/OrderBook.html

It's also available on Amazon
Cheers!

Ron
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Does anyone own this book?

Post by renoun »

Well you could always readhis blog and his posts on TDS to see if his writing makes sense to you.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

After reading that blog -ummm, errr *scratches head* well - :dontknow: I think I understand what you didn't say! :smt064

Thanks for the heads up!
Cheers!

Ron
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I own the Six Skills, and thought the book was superb. Although written for technical divers, it has a lot of things to think about for recreational divers as well. The book is written in a very humorous and self-deprecatory style (very British) and is extremely easy to read. If you wanted to meet me somewhere and spend a half hour looking it over, I'd be happy to bring it along to Cove 2 or somewhere. (I won't lend it out; my copy is autographed.)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

guitarmaker wrote::dontknow: I think I understand what you didn't say! :smt064
I didn't intend to cast aspersions. Just offering an opportunity to sample his writing. I think that he may have even posted some draft chapters at some point.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

LCF, thanks for your opinion it's appreciated. I'm doing a bandito charter up there weekend of 8/13 but I probably won't have a chance to meet up and thumb through your book (I'm reluctant to loan out books too!). Renoun, thanks for the clarification, it's equally appreciated - but yeah, first glance at the blog I didn't care for his writing style but thats just me.

What I should have done is ask for recommendations for a primer on tech diving (LCF, sounds like this book would do that?). Currently I'm a recreational diver with a growing bucket-list of dives that's near or beyond recreational limits. I'm also searching through different tech classes offered but looking for some reading material while saving cash for the training.

I can hear Darth Vader calling me to the dark side! "Ron - who's your daddy? - I'm your daddy" ;)
Cheers!

Ron