Megalodon Training at ISC

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Geek
Pelagic

Megalodon Training at ISC

Post by Geek »

Well yesterday was day one training with Leon at ISC on the Meg. It was a long day, 8am-7pm-ish but it was amazing how fast if went by.
Walking in to ISC you see this :)
Walking in to ISC you see this :)

The first day was taken up with Rebreather theory, taking ALOT of the mystery out of them. P02 set point diving.. and going over the Meg's Head, Calibration and Scrubber packing.
The main floor of ISC
The main floor of ISC
Going through the head Calibration process
Going through the head Calibration process

There will be more later today after I get back, just wanted to wet peoples appitite and maybe take some mystery out of the whole thing if I can. I do know that I don't look at the rebreather as some dangerous mystery box anymore, they really are very simple and not nearly as dangerous as I once belived. Leon is an excelet instructor and Hey, he designed and built the Meg, whats not to like about getting trained by him? :angelblue:

I'll update this thread tomorrow morning as I go along, if you have any questions, please ask and I'll do my best to answer... or pass off the question to Josh, calvin, mel, or one of the other excellent RB divers we have on this board

:partydance: :partydance: :partydance:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Megalodon Training at ISC

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sweet, dude! I'm stoked for you- hope you survive the pool session today!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I have a question or two or three or four, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Also with so little air in those tanks on your back, how can you stay down for so long?

Third, does monster energy drinks increase your bottom time?

Fourth, is it true "once you go black, you don't go back"?
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

Dashrynn wrote:Also with so little air in those tanks on your back, how can you stay down for so long?
When you exhale the air goes back into the bottle. Duh.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

johnclark wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Also with so little air in those tanks on your back, how can you stay down for so long?
When you exhale the air goes back into the bottle. Duh.
Me not so smart, thanks! Me know now.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:I have a question or two or three or four, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Willpower and testosterone.

Dashrynn wrote:Third, does monster energy drinks increase your bottom time?

Tests are inconclusive, but Laura James in entering into her tenth year of Sugar Free Redbull saturation dive testing. You should ask her about that. (it helps to carry a recording device so you can play her replies back at 1/4 speed)
Dashrynn wrote:Fourth, is it true "once you go black, you don't go back"?
Are you having trouble "going back?" Maybe you should talk to a doctor or something. But remember: Just be yourself, dude.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Fourth, is it true "once you go black, you don't go back"?
Are you having trouble "going back?" Maybe you should talk to a doctor or something. But remember: Just be yourself, dude.
Do you think I should? Every since I have gone black, I find myself disliking every color out there. Notably yellow, but most say "yellow is safer" well I still like black. It's just so hard not to look cool when you have a big black thing behind you or all around you or in front of you.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Ok, day 2 in the books... but if your looking for any report that makes sense your going to be disappointed.... 5 hours STRAIT in the pool doing drills.. *Sigh*

I did learn a lot and am real comfortable in the water on the meg... first thing you notice, QUIET.. like REALLY quiet.. I can hear people talking on the surface kinda quiet.. love that, it's the main reason I dive in the first place. 2nd thing I noticed, No clock... on OC I'm anal about knowing what the presure in my tanks are all the time, on a rebreather not so much.. now I'm anal about knowing what my PPO2 is LOL, but it's different somehow.

Now I know what people mean when they say they wished they would have gone to a Rebreather sooner, you just don't know what your missing. I remember hearing all the stories about how dangerous they are, etc etc and I'm sorry, I can see how you can get yourself in a world of hurt fast but if your a methotical diver and PAY attention, I don't see them as dangerous and in some ways safer... I would call it a wash in the over-all saftey department to me so far.

Tomorrow is all acidemic at Leon's house then off to my first open water dive on Sunday :joshsmith:

And Dash, you don't have to lie to kick it dude, your friends will still be your friends... just introduce him to us all so we can say hi :stir:

I'll have more pictures tomorrow if I'm still awake enough to post some LOL Now I thi Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Im a methotical diver....

BAD WORD WARNING

awwwww yeah!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

*Tired*

So yesterday was the first day of open water and the day previous was all class room... remember that math class in high school and you wondered when you would ever need that stuff? Yeah, that math.

Open water was AWSOME. Didn't have near the issues with my bouyancy that I was told I would have :neener: Leon had me pretty squared away in the wieghting dept, needed 14lbs in my pockets to get under with Optimal loop volume and it was sweet from there. If I had to describe it, wearing doubles is like driving a Mac truck, very stable. Rebreather more like driving a Ferrari, much less window for bouyancy but stable-ish, I didn't hit the bottom.... Don't mind sucking at something just don't want to look bad doing it :angelblue:

126 minutes Dive time and I used 900psi that was AWSOME... Leon swam me around for 2 hours or so, I saw parts of Sund rock I didn't think exsisted.... Like ALL the parts. THEN he starts skills and drills... Love the wait till your F@#king tired as hell then do them, but it turned out good. After the OC bailout he swam me around a bit on OC, I can tell you that I REALLY wanted to get back on the loop. OC just didn't feel "right" anymore. Interesting how having 400-ish dives on OC and in 5 hours of Reabreather time OC don't feel like home anymore, just my observation.

One more day with Leon this week and I'll be ready to go it myself, so lets start planning some dives :partydance:

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great class report, Kyle! Reading it made me grin; it really reminded me of my class. I forgot how striking the silence was at first.

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Congratulations, Kyle! It's good to see another CCR diver in these here parts!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Once you make it back to town look me up if you want to do some local diving.
Josh
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

sea2summit wrote:Once you make it back to town look me up if you want to do some local diving.
Josh
You the rEvo diver I see in Tacoma Scuba sometimes? I live in Lakewood so I'm around LOL

fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I'm doing my open water dives with Mel for my rEvo at the end of the month... I like to see what other people have gone though before I do my class
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Geek wrote:
sea2summit wrote:Once you make it back to town look me up if you want to do some local diving.
Josh
You the rEvo diver I see in Tacoma Scuba sometimes? I live in Lakewood so I'm around LOL
Why do I have a feeling I'm going to get dumped as a dive buddy because I'm still diving a hp100 and not a rebreather :p
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

citycatred wrote: Why do I have a feeling I'm going to get dumped as a dive buddy because I'm still diving a hp100 and not a rebreather :p
No you won't, you breath like a fish, you don't need a rebreather... of course you need to get a light or I might think about it :neener:

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Geek wrote:
citycatred wrote: Why do I have a feeling I'm going to get dumped as a dive buddy because I'm still diving a hp100 and not a rebreather :p
No you won't, you breath like a fish, you don't need a rebreather... of course you need to get a light or I might think about it :neener:
You seem like a pretty smart kid, build one! There are design's all over. Go take a machining class through your school, machine yourself a canister and alum light head and message one of the light guru's (airsix or nwbrewer) for the guts.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

citycatred wrote:
Geek wrote:
Josh
Why do I have a feeling I'm going to get dumped as a dive buddy because I'm still diving a hp100 and not a rebreather :p
Well if you ever showed up to dive with other single tankers . . . :smt064
Kelly
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Geek wrote:
Josh
That would be me. Lets dive :supz:
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

fishb0y wrote:I'm doing my open water dives with Mel for my rEvo at the end of the month... I like to see what other people have gone though before I do my class
You should start another thread to ask about :queenliz: with her :stick: and the way she :arsespank: I've done 3 classes with her, none better IMHO.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Dashrynn wrote:
Geek wrote:
You seem like a pretty smart kid, build one! There are design's all over. Go take a machining class through your school, machine yourself a canister and alum light head and message one of the light guru's (airsix or nwbrewer) for the guts.
.....kid? :boxer: :axe: :jason:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Ya Dash, aren't you like 2.5 weeks older than her? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Geek wrote:Ya Dash, aren't you like 2.5 weeks older than her? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
haha try 7 years
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

citycatred wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Geek wrote:
.....kid? :boxer: :axe: :jason:
Oh I forgot, you are a BIG KID :stir: :queenliz: :joshsmith: