Backup light suggestions

General topics about technical diving.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Backup light suggestions

Post by ljjames »

My mini-scouts are fine as is, but thanks :)

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm drooling over a heser ;)

I think the concept of upgrading the batteries to something I either a) have to recharge or b) is expensive to replace goes against the idea of a backup. I'm bad enough as it is about replacing my backup light's batteries. I don't need to stack deck against me ;) not that i mind the idea of a snazzier bright backup, but... mine work fine as is...
Last edited by ljjames on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I have the Intova and use it as a back up light. When Bassman and I went to MMM he had issues with his can light and no back up. He used my little Intova for the entire night dive and was completely comfortable using it as a primary. It's a rock solid, affordable back up that I would highly recommend!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

cardiver wrote:I have the Intova and use it as a back up light. When Bassman and I went to MMM he had issues with his can light and no back up. He used my little Intova for the entire night dive and was completely comfortable using it as a primary. It's a rock solid, affordable back up that I would highly recommend!

Good to hear maybe you can answer too what I asked Spatman. Did you get the tail switch or sliding switch one? And how did you attach a bolt snap to it?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Thanks Spat,

Can I ask you another one? Did you go for the clicky switch or the longer version with the slide switch? And I assume you use it with a hog. Harness under some innertube?
i went for the slide switch version. some people say that it's easy to accidentally flip on, but i haven't had a problem with it yet.

and yes, i have it on my chest d-ring with the innertube holding it in place.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

A picture being worth a thousand words......
Attachments
DSC01161.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
WellEquippedDiver
Just Settling In

Post by WellEquippedDiver »

ljjames wrote:FWIW, I don't really understand why people try so hard to find the cheapest backup lights... This is the light that in theory will 'get you home'. It's the light you end up in general treating like crap, not checking the batteries, etc... For a backup light, i want the most durable, most reliable, bright/focused, long duration, can hammer nails, drive over it with a hummer (oh wait, thats my 'breather) etc... that i can get. If I can't afford it this month, then I keep saving and get it when I can. If I can't afford a good backup light then maybe i'm not quite ready for the impending costs of getting into tech. I realize we are not in caves out here in the northwest, but in general the philosophy is the same with regards to choosing a backup.
Josh, this little rant isn't directed at you, it's just an 'in general' rant ;)
Agreed, do it right or don't do it at all, it's not worth taking a risk to save a few dollars.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

I converted my UK sl4's (that I have had forever) to the cree Q5's and wow what a difference, 15 min. and less then $10 to switch them over. All I ahd to do was build a small spacer and reverse the batteries. Rated at 200lumens.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

spatman wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote: i went for the slide switch version. some people say that it's easy to accidentally flip on, but i haven't had a problem with it yet.
I wouldn't call it "easy" to flip on, but I've done it once to find me a dead battery when I got to the dive site. That's once in about 18 months of use on the Intovas. What happened was that I loaded it onto the harness at home, and fidgeted with it a bit to get it to sit where I wanted it. In doing so, I inadvertently turned it on.

I love those things as backup lights...small, bright, lasts forever, and rugged. The only thing that sucks is having to buy CR123 batteries locally when you run out and haven't planned ahead. Radio Shack, Rite-Aid, Safeway, whatever - they all charge an arm and a leg for replacement cells ($7-$10 each...ouch.) Buying them online, it's reasonable at less than $1/each. That's about equivalent to 2 AA cells purchased at the druggist's.

I'm convinced these lights are one of those pieces of proof that quality doesn't necessarily have to cost an arm and a leg.

I've learned to just buy those in bulk when I stock up on rebreather batteries, and keep a couple spare sets in my save-a-dive kit. Lithiums primaries have a long shelf life with minimal self-discharge...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

camerone wrote:The only thing that sucks is having to buy CR123 batteries locally when you run out and haven't planned ahead. Radio Shack, Rite-Aid, Safeway, whatever - they all charge an arm and a leg for replacement cells ($7-$10 each...ouch.) Buying them online, it's reasonable at less than $1/each.
where do you order them from?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

All battery .com
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

H20doctor wrote:All battery .com
http://www.allbattery.com/ ? seriously?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

lol, what a difference a "-" makes.
BlowBubbles
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BlowBubbles »

I'm interested in a couple of new backup lights my self. Has anyone tried Hollis lights? I was thinking of LED3 or LED5.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

BlowBubbles wrote:I'm interested in a couple of new backup lights my self. Has anyone tried Hollis lights? I was thinking of LED3 or LED5.
I have a LED3 now. Very focused spot with minimal spill over. The spot was still visible on the bottom in some fairly bright daylight yesterday afternoon. Ideal if you want a tight beam for signaling but not going to be a photographers favorite. Appears to have good construction detailing. Double O rings and came with spares. I got a special deal on it though, I'm not sure that I would have paid full retail for it.
Last edited by renoun on Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I'm a big fan of the Hollis lights. I have a LED3 as one of my backups, and it blows away my Dorcy 220 and the LED Scouts that my buddies use. The optics are superb so the spot is intense. Easy to signal your team, even when everyone has 21w or 35w hids. The "off" position on these lights is screwed all the way down, so they don't turn on with increased pressure.

Here's a comparison of the LED5 and the Hesser. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Zl5KlbL94