Mystery anemone

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Mystery anemone

Post by anndornfeld »

Anyone know what kind of anemone this is?

It was at Alki Pipeline a couple weeks ago. It's about 4" in diameter.
Mystery anemone 2.jpg
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Re: Mystery anemone

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi,

I think more pictures are needed. Specifically photos of the column and of the oral disk.

My first thought was that it is a member of the genus Epiactis (often called brooding or proliferating anemones). There are something like 4 to 6 different Epiactis species around the NW and the differences in appearance can be fairly subtle. Perhaps the easiest way to tell them apart involves seeing them shortly after they have given birth.

It's also possible, if unlikely, that you've got a very unusuual color morph of Metridium senile; again more photos from different angles are needed.

WAGgishly yours,

Alex
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's a Metridium. All the Epiactis have fewer, thicker tentacles and generally don't get that large.
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Siiigh. A boring ol' Metridium.

Thanks for the sleuthing!

-Ann
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi Ann,

I'm certainly not qualified to disagree with Greg's I.D. [Although we do have an Epiactis fernaldi at the Feiro Center that's nearly 4" across the tentacle crown and is almost but not quite as 'bushy' as the anemone in your photo.]

But, even assuming that yours is a Metridium, it's certainly not boring! Every such animal I've seen has had a tentacle crown that is either white or several shades lighter than the column and I've certainly never seen tentacles nearly that dark. I'd say that you made a pretty cool find!

Complimentarily yours,

Alex
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Thanks for your comforting words, Alex. ;)

Next time I'll be sure to get a full set of mug shots and tentacleprints...