A mask for the equalizing challenged?? NHZ

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

A mask for the equalizing challenged?? NHZ

Post by Norris »

So my buddy really loved diving but found that he has some issues in terms of equalizing due to some birth defect. He can fly just fine but I guess when his neck and head are under pressure it becomes difficult.
Bottom line is he woudl really LOVE to dive again but hasnt had a solution. He was reading up on these masks the other day and wanted me to fish for some feedback.

I understand that we have some people here that work in the medical field. Can I get some feedback on this? I would really love to see him able to dive again.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... F8Q8wIwAA#

So I think that the ear covers would not negate the need to equalize, but would it make it easier?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: A mask for the equalizing challenged?? NHZ

Post by ArcticDiver »

From the ad it appears this thingy does the much same things Doc's Pro Plugs do, but at a much higher price. In the past I have used Doc's Pro Plugs extensively and hope to do so again. I have been very satisfied with their performance. My suggestion would be he try them first before spending money on the ear muffs. Something on the order of trying the least costly first.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

looks interesting. If he can he should try a full face mask. having your face nice and warm helps some with problems.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I have used Doc's ProPlugs routinely for probably 600+ dives. IMO they neither hinder nor help with equalization.
They DO help keep cold water out of my ears. I don't think they are the answer.

I have used full face mask (AGA) for the last several years at the Aquarium. In terms of helping clear....well they make it worse since being able to plug the nose for some folks, and I'm one, is damn near impossible. I've used swimming nose plugs, modified the nose block, but mostly I swear a lot. They might help some people with some things but clearing is pretty low on the list. I am not alone with this problem.

The easiest/most effective approach is to watch this video (all hour of it) by Dr. Ed Kay.
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/

Streaming Video in AVI and Flash Formats.
"The Diver's Ear - Under Pressure"

Then read the article:
Middle Ear Barotrauma: A tutorial on prevention of Ear Squeeze. (same page)

Then practice a bunch. Then repeat above. Now, practice some more.
If that doesn't do it, go see Ed for a personal evaluation. He can probably tell you if it's even worth the trouble to go on.

Then, you have a good understanding of what needs to happen. If it still is not working, try the mask. In NW waters with hoods it definitely has some problems.
I have no idea if it really works. In theory, it should. Fit I think would be critical, and fit I think would be difficult.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

When I posted I assumed something that fmerkel's post reminded me about. I assumed that since there was a birth defect involved he had already seen a QUALIFIED ENT for a thorough evaluation. If he has not the very first step is to see the doc for an evaluation. The doc will be able to tell him if equalization is possible, or whether attempts are just abusing the ears.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

I actually own one of the IST masks. I dove it quite a few times when I was having sinus problems and It seemed to work alot better than Sudaphed and nose spray! I'm more than willing to let your friend try it out for a few dives. I even have the hood that has the cut outs for the ears... I live in Tacoma and we could meet up here and I'll hand it over no problem! Feel free to hit me up!
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
-Jules Verne. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on the internet but here is my suggestion, have your friend practice equilizing on the surface during the day at work whatever, its kind of like a muscle, the more you do it the easier it gets, if he can equalize on the surface chances are he can underwater he just needs to start at the surface, one foot, three etc, I've known people that have similar issues, and know about the small tube thing in the ear, I am assuming that is what he's got, I have it also. I can clear now without holding my nose most of the time I still sometimes have issues but not often.

That's what I did to get over it, just practiced all the time during the day, the muscles or whatever will get stronger at least they did for me YMMV

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

i own(d) one of those masks. I don't have any issues with equalizing but wanted to know how well they worked. It worked great as long as the ear compartments didnt flood... which btw... flooded on every dive I did with it. You have to modify your hood with ear holes, then when donning you have to get the skirt on the ear pieces under the hood properly... I never had a dive that the ears didn't flood because everytime I moved my head it would distort the seal and they'd leak. While I think they're a great idea... here with our hoods I don't think they're very practical. I never had ballz enuf to hop in our water without a hood on to give a try that way. The Doc's Pro Ear Plugs (I think that's what theyre called) always get rave reviews and people just don't seem to have too many problems with them.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thank you everyone for your input. I would think that the earplugs would be the way to go, but even moreso what Geek said with the practicing and just checking with the doc that he should be able to equalize.

thanks for the offer to try one out, I'll see what he says...

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**