Should I keep my wet suit?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Biederboat
Just Settling In

Should I keep my wet suit?

Post by Biederboat »

Hi,

Not a big time poster here (don't do a lot of diving). I just purchased a dry suit. Most of my diving is either in the Hood Canal area, Oregon bays (maybe the ocean some day) and in Hawaii (hopefully other tropical areas in the future!). Is there any good reason to keep my wet suit? It's a thick one (9 mm?), but it doesn't fit me all that well (it's an XXL and I'm 6' 5" and pretty thin). The only reason I can think of to keep it is if I'm on a trip and my dry suit develops a leak; then I'd have a back-up. Otherwise, I don't foresee any need to want to use it over a dry suit. Am I missing anything? If the only real reason is for back-up; I'll likely end up selling it as I just don't want to haul around and store it just for those purposes. I'll promise not to whine if a leak ruins a trip!

Thanks,
Biederboat
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: Should I keep my wet suit?

Post by oldsalt »

I'm a minority. I consider summer to be wetsuit season. I can use less weight, I move more easily through the water, and I don't get so overheated. I use one of my drysuits the rest of the year.
- Curt
Happy to be alive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If it's serviceable I would keep it. There are times like this week that I wish I had kept mine. Also if your zipper fails or the neck seal or wrist seals rips out after you have driven miles to a dive site it's nice to have a backup. A used wet suit won't get you much if you sell it so what the heck!
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Haven't used a wet suit sense my 8th dive. Dove a lot in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Aaska and here and have always been more comfortable diving dry.
The leaky drysuit thing may sound like a good reason but there's very few leaks some aqua seal wont take care of at least temporary.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Are you really going to bring along a so-so fitting wetsuit as a "backup"? I would get rid of it before the neoprene gets old and brittle (and shrinks)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

i say sell it and get one made to fit for a back up and when you dive in werm water
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

doug7377 wrote:i say sell it and get one made to fit for a back up and when you dive in werm water
Yeah! Sell it and buy a good fitting 3 mil or any of the other dozens of things we often desire to buy.
Seems like I always am waiting to get enough money to spend on something dive related.
I need to go back to the envelope system and mark it "Scuba Units"
A used wet suit could get you at least close to a scuba unit.($100.00)
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

CaptnJack wrote:Are you really going to bring along a so-so fitting wetsuit as a "backup"? I would get rid of it before the neoprene gets old and brittle (and shrinks)
I still have my semi-dry I bought since 1994. It still fits me like a champ, and also it still looks like I just purchased it from the store today (no kidding). I hang it in the closet with (no sun exposure). That's how good I take care of my stuff. Now, with regard to bringing it with me every dive I go to (as a back-up to my dry suit), that's ridiculous IMHO.

So, I suggest get rid of it, and if still desired, get one that fits better, then store it properly, and lastly, pray that you don't gain weight through the years so you can still use it.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I did a LOT of dives in a wetsuit before going dry - and thought I would hang onto mine for all the reasons folks have already suggested. However, after it sat for a good year or so, I decided to sell it - and not once have I regretted doing so. (it's been about 10 years now)

Sell it - I'm sure it will be more useful to someone else! And if down the road you find yourself wishing you were diving wet - well, then at that point buy yourself a good fitting suit.

Just my 2PSI
- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

I agree. Sell that daw-gon thing! A wetsuit that is too big isn't good for anything but buoyancy haha so I guess it can work as a primatave backup bc but it ain't gonna do you much good in the thermal protection arena! It's good to have a backup wetsuit (that fits) I guess. Sell it for a buck fifty and get yourself a new set of fins and some more log book pages!!
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I keep a currently-fitting wet suit as a back up. I stopped taking it with me on all my dives when one was stolen from my vehicle (I was lucky-they didn't get my back up reg set or BC). But I have used it several times in the last few years-sometimes because I have a leaky drysuit, sometimes because I'm teaching and know that I won't have a chance at a bathroom break :), and sometimes just cuz it's hot and it seems like it will be more comfortable.
I don't use it much but it's great to have when I need it. I hate not being able to dive because I don't have a suit (right, Tom Nic?).
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

WylerBear wrote:I don't use it much but it's great to have when I need it. I hate not being able to dive because I don't have a suit (right, Tom Nic?).
Sigh....

When you're right, you're right.

If you do sell it make sure you have a back up that fits you - especially if you're a non standard size.

Sucks to be dry 'cause you don't have a suit.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman