50 years ago today...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

50 years ago today...

Post by fishb0y »

50 years ago today the last episode of Sea Hunt aired on TV. Thank you Mike Nelson for showing my the correct way to swim through the water and the proper technique for cutting the breathing hose on a villain’s regulator.
Attachments
LloydBridges.jpg
LloydBridges.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: 50 years ago today...

Post by Jeff Pack »

thank you for reminding me how old I am... Although I dont think that is quite accurate, as I would only have been 5 years old when the last episode aired, and I know I watched many episodes of it. Since I have but few memories of that young, I think it was on longer than that, in re-runs or something.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I'm sure it re-ran and was syndicated, but the final original episode did air September 23, 1961.

4 seasons 155 episodes.
Dave Mitchell
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Best T-shirt ever.

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

airsix wrote:Best T-shirt ever.
Where's that "LIKE" button when I need it! :taco:
Cheers!

Ron
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's funny to look at that first picture. What I have heard is that they made him a set of tanks out of Balsa wood, because he complained that the real ones were too heavy. If you look at the harness straps, they're not making any significant indentation in his skin, so I think the story is probably true.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:It's funny to look at that first picture. What I have heard is that they made him a set of tanks out of Balsa wood, because he complained that the real ones were too heavy. If you look at the harness straps, they're not making any significant indentation in his skin, so I think the story is probably true.
Maybe, someone actually gave me a set of tanks just like that. I think they are short steel lp45s, specs are a bit nebulous. I tossed the single outlet manifold (which I should have kept) and use them as boat inflation tanks now. They are 3AA 1800+ psi rated tanks. Each weighs about 22lbs
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I think I remember reading somewhere that those are Voit double 38's in the 1st photo. Although the stunt divers and Mike Nelson used whatever gear they had during filming, Voit was a big sponsor, if not the only sponsor, so most of the ad photos used Voit gear exclusively.

There's a guy on vintagedoublehose.com restoring a set of double 38's and they look pretty good.

Are your 1800 psi tanks stamped US GOVT anywhere on the neck? I have a small Vigo Aqua Lung Tank that was sold in 1959 and 1960 in my collection.

US DIvers bought surplus military O2 tanks from the DOD and added a 1 in. to 1/2 in. reducer to fit the valve on the tank. I cannot remember the exact price, but I think the 1960 catalog had the Vigo Aqua Lung, which included Aquamatic regulator, tank and harness for about $70.00. Was marketed for shallow water training.

I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh