Looking for classes in the Portland Area

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Madocyw
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Looking for classes in the Portland Area

Post by Madocyw »

Howdy all,

I've got zero dive experience, and want to change that. I live in Portland, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as far as good instructors/shops to go to - looking for basic open water and drysuit instruction.

Cheers,
Madoc
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Looking for classes in the Portland Area

Post by Grateful Diver »

I can't say that I know a lot about the shops down there, but I have had good experiences with Seven Seas Scuba across the river in Vancouver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I would contact Georgia Arrow (Wylerbear here on NWDC). She's one of the instructors from Seven Seas Scuba. Dan Robertson is another I'd recommend out of Seven Seas, as well.

Another option is Dave Ishmael from Underwater Works in Tigard. Dave gets high marks from several divers whose opinions I trust.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I'd recommend Dave Ishmael or Mark Pendley from Underwater Works in Tigard. I too, hear good things about Dan and Georgia from Seven Seas.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

Pacific watersports in aloha. Excellent shop and instructors.
If only I had Gills
jeremyl
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by jeremyl »

Another rep for Dave I. and crew at Under Water Works. I did mine there based on a friend recommendation and have since sent several friends to him. Mark P. was an assistant back then but was great.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 for Seven Seas in Vancouver.. Quality instructors with a great shop too! lots of inventory and they just expanded and opened another shop in Monterey CA!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White