Recreational dive computer?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Recreational dive computer?

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hey, all. So, I admit that I'm pretty out of touch with a lot of entry level gear these days. A buddy of mine just got certified, and he's putting a kit together. I had recommendations for lots of it, but I was stumped when he asked me about computers. He doesn't want to drop a ton of money right off, and we narrowed down his desired features to:

Wrist mount, non-air integrated, nitrox capable. Algorithm= who cares, nobody pays attention to that stuff.

Any pointers or recs much appreciated.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Recreational dive computer?

Post by Marc »

Give me a call.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

I've got an aladin prime I haven't used in years on a three guage console. $20 + shipping or pick it up.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

How is his vision? Does his pocketbook need to take the hit to acquire a computer with an OLED display?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

i got a luna off the bat
the display was the deciding factor for me when choosing a comp
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Uwatec bottom timer, hands down. Gives time, depth, average depth. Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles that you pay for and don't need. The battery lasts like 10 years, and Tobin makes a boot for it to wrist mount. They are around $250 or so.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Fishstiq wrote:Uwatec bottom timer, hands down. Gives time, depth, average depth. Nothing fancy, no bells and whistles that you pay for and don't need. The battery lasts like 10 years, and Tobin makes a boot for it to wrist mount. They are around $250 or so.
+1.

I have a more fancy computer, and 90% of the time I'm finding myself using the BT, just for the simplicity.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think it's pretty reasonable for a brand new diver to have a computer that gives decompression information. There is a lot of stuff to try to keep straight when you start; remembering your average depth and memorizing tables is pretty challenging. For safety, having deco information seems to me to be pretty useful.

I've used a bunch of different computers, but the one I'd recommend is the Aladin Tec 2g. You can find them for under $300 at times. It has a very readable display and an intuitive interface, and best of all, it has the best dive logging software I've seen anywhere. IF you go on to more ambitious diving, the computer handles Nitrox and has a gauge mode, as well as a stopwatch and resettable depth averaging. The only thing I didn't like about the Aladin was that the font was small compared with the Vytec I had had before . . . and of course, nowadays, it's not OLED, so I wouldn't own it :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:I think it's pretty reasonable for a brand new diver to have a computer that gives decompression information. There is a lot of stuff to try to keep straight when you start; remembering your average depth and memorizing tables is pretty challenging. For safety, having deco information seems to me to be pretty useful.
agreed.

fwiw, i started with an Oceanic Veo which was decent, but had some problems in really cold water. problems like shutting itself off mid dive, or not turning on at all.

i replaced it with a Suunto Vyper, which was great until the depth sensor crapped out after about a year/70 dives or so. i returned it to Suunto/Aqualung (big PITA) and got a new replacement. same thing happened to that computer, depth sensor crapped out about 8 months later. returned it again, and sold the new one w/o diving it.

so though i don't have a rec for what your friend should buy, i can say that i wouldn't recommend the Veo or Vyper.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I would recommend something like the Veo nitrox. They are ~$300 and have everything he needs to grow into for the next year+ (disregarding Spatty's bad experience, as a computer geek he's probably jinxed)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Kelvininin
Avid Diver

Post by Kelvininin »

I second the pro plus, pick it up used for cheaper. It is air integrated however, but has some nice features that come with air integration such as a countdown dive timer that is actually pretty accurate. plus it has alarms and lights to let you know when you're running out of air, mine is set way conservatively, but its a real nice all around package, does a lot.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

FWIW I have a brand new veo250 I would be willing to part with for 250 (not including shipping). I never use it anymore down here in florida so it sits on my desk collecting dust. Comes with a custom made (nothing fancy) wrist mount with bungee.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Hard to beat this deal ... http://www.amazon.com/Hollis-DG02-Nitro ... B001R6DZHG

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I think that Hollis is the exact same thing as a Veo which is fine to start with. I did. When comparing with other computers it does seem to be a bend-o-matic. Not very conservative at all, but as long as you know it, it's ok. Just do a slower ascent and do a couple/few extra minutes if you take it to the edge.

I have an Aladdin Tec 2G sitting right here. Dead after replacing the battery after about a year/200 dives of hard use. It seems to be a common problem with them. I should be able to get it exchanged at UWS.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

+ whatever on the Veo. Did 80-100 dives in all kinds of water temps and never had a problem with it. It's Hannah's computer now. I picked up a used Nitek Duo for around $200 that's dead simple, too.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

LCF wrote:I think it's pretty reasonable for a brand new diver to have a computer that gives decompression information. There is a lot of stuff to try to keep straight when you start; remembering your average depth and memorizing tables is pretty challenging. For safety, having deco information seems to me to be pretty useful.

I've used a bunch of different computers, but the one I'd recommend is the Aladin Tec 2g. You can find them for under $300 at times. It has a very readable display and an intuitive interface, and best of all, it has the best dive logging software I've seen anywhere. IF you go on to more ambitious diving, the computer handles Nitrox and has a gauge mode, as well as a stopwatch and resettable depth averaging. The only thing I didn't like about the Aladin was that the font was small compared with the Vytec I had had before . . . and of course, nowadays, it's not OLED, so I wouldn't own it :)
once again Lynne nails it. The only thing I don't like about the uwatec stuff is the menuing system.. for what ever reason the menu doesn't seem to 'flow' with me.. I have to open a manual eveytime I wanna do something... I'm a big Suunto fan mainly cuz the menuing system just makes sense to me and I can move around in the menu blindfolded.... you can get a Vyper 'brand new' with a warrenty for 425 at full retail... a Zoop will cost 300...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks for the info, all of you! I passed the collective wisdom of the tribe on to my friend.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
cougdiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by cougdiver »

Hello everyone,
I am the newbie that Josh was kind enough to help out. And thank you very much for all of your advice. This is really a great forum!!!! My goal is to a get a few pieces of equipment, a good regulator, basic dive computer and possibly a BCD so I can focus on what is really important, getting out diving and improving my skills (especially buoyancy-I suck). In regards to the SPG/dive computer, thought I would get something simple like an Oceanic Veo or maybe a Suunto Zoop. Both come in a console, where I can try it that way but also move the dive computer to my wrist and see if I like that setup better. Then at some point in the future when I have a clue as to what sort of diving I will be doing, I'll have a better idea of what to purchase. Does this make sense? One last question, does it make any difference whatsoever at my level to get a dive computer that has gauge mode(or is this only necessary for tech diving)? Veo has it and Zoop doesn't. Thank you in advance for your help!!!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Welcome to NWDC!

Now....regarding listening to Josh...you're starting off your diving life with a significant disadvantage with your "mentor" being Irish. Pretty much anything that he tells you will be a lie, or a damned lie, or a drunken lie, or something designed to get him introduced to one of your sheep.

However, from your screen name you obviously attended WSU and this is probably just something else in your life that you have "couged up"! :smt064

But....welcome to NWDC anyway!

- John (one of Josh's dive buddies)
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

hey cougdiver if can fit a med i have a ranger BCD for sell and a mk25/S600 for sell send me a email if your still looking well not kill you on the price
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

cougdiver wrote:Hello everyone,
I am the newbie that Josh was kind enough to help out. And thank you very much for all of your advice. This is really a great forum!!!! My goal is to a get a few pieces of equipment, a good regulator, basic dive computer and possibly a BCD so I can focus on what is really important, getting out diving and improving my skills (especially buoyancy-I suck). In regards to the SPG/dive computer, thought I would get something simple like an Oceanic Veo or maybe a Suunto Zoop. Both come in a console, where I can try it that way but also move the dive computer to my wrist and see if I like that setup better. Then at some point in the future when I have a clue as to what sort of diving I will be doing, I'll have a better idea of what to purchase. Does this make sense? One last question, does it make any difference whatsoever at my level to get a dive computer that has gauge mode(or is this only necessary for tech diving)? Veo has it and Zoop doesn't. Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Hey, Mike! Welcome to the site! Ignore my so-called "friend" John, there. He's obviously either doubled up on, or quit taking, his psych meds again. To answer your question, the guage mode, while maybe not something a brand-new diver would want, is a desirable feature, especially if you might be selling it off down the road.

pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I know a local dive shop that just got the Nitek Q which has a OLED display.It also has the ability to be upgraded down the road. The basic 2 gas mix Nitek Q I think goes for $500-$600 but I have not checked the shop for price. I just looked online for those prices. I really liked the bright display of my UEMIS why did it have to die on me :huge:

I would talk about my UEMIS dive computer however it has died since I bought it and the company is in bankrupcty. :angry:
Jeff Castor
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Waynne Fowler wrote:

once again Lynne nails it. The only thing I don't like about the uwatec stuff is the menuing system.. for what ever reason the menu doesn't seem to 'flow' with me.. I have to open a manual eveytime I wanna do something... I'm a big Suunto fan mainly cuz the menuing system just makes sense to me and I can move around in the menu blindfolded.... you can get a Vyper 'brand new' with a warrenty for 425 at full retail... a Zoop will cost 300...
+1 Likewise, I'm a big Suunto fan too. I have a Zoop myself and have yet to find a problem. I have nothing but praises for it, pay attention to what I'm about to say, "FOR WHAT I INTENDED TO USE IT FOR".

My suggestion is go to as many dive shops as possible, have your friend try on as many computer configurations as possible (wrist or console), paying attention to details, such as -ease of operation of the menu, ergonomic design of where the buttons are, boldness of figures, backlight, of course the price and the design (believe it or not, this plays an important role -some people don't buy stuff cause the design just doesn't fit their "Style"). Most of all, stick to the plan of why your friend is intending to buy a computer for. Does he have future plans of getting further certs?
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

If your thinking about guage mode already perhaps you need to look at a real tec computer. You can buy a base model shearwater pretty cheap and upgrade as needed or find a used one on some of the forums great computer and you can grow into it. Again this is mostly if you already have future technical diving goals in mind...beware the dark side.