Octopus Wolf-Eel Rodeo at Day Island Wall

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Just over a month ago a great group of tech diving gals got together for a banner weekend of diving. During one of our dives out at Day Island, we came across something I'd never seen before, and that I may very well never see again. I managed to capture it on film to share. Enjoy! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHrO_Pj4dgc[/youtube]

The same clip is also viewable on Vimeo under "Seainggreen", but for some reason the link wouldn't cooperate here this evening. :)

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus Wolf-Eel Rodeo at Day Island Wall

Post by renoun »

Wow, a pictures or it didn't happen moment caught on Video. Anybody know why the video didn't embed?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Awesome!!!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

That is one hungry octo.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Yea-haw!
:supz:

MZ
:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:That is one hungry octo.
Actually, my guess is that he's trying NOT to get eaten!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:
spatman wrote:That is one hungry octo.
Actually, my guess is that he's trying NOT to get eaten!
Reminds me of the seals doubling back on Great Whites - "anywhere but the end with the teeth"!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

That was great, thank you!!!
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

My first thought when I saw this was of the tentacles hanging out of the lingcod mouth in Jan's posting. I go along with John Rawlings. That octo better hang on.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Wow... That is Sooooooooo cool! :notworthy:

Yeeeeeeee-Hawwwwww!!!!!!!

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

oldsalt wrote:My first thought when I saw this was of the tentacles hanging out of the lingcod mouth in Jan's posting. I go along with John Rawlings. That octo better hang on.
-Curt
Yeah....it's clear that the wolf-eel is trying to "scrape" the octopus off by turning on its side and sliding along rocks. I wonder what eventually happened!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

"Riding the Tiger"!

This is definitely video photo competition material.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:
oldsalt wrote:My first thought when I saw this was of the tentacles hanging out of the lingcod mouth in Jan's posting. I go along with John Rawlings. That octo better hang on.
-Curt
Yeah....it's clear that the wolf-eel is trying to "scrape" the octopus off by turning on its side and sliding along rocks. I wonder what eventually happened!
Yes, there are lots of critters out there that love some octo sushi!!

And.... this goes to show ya that if you dive, dive lots, dive with a camera, you see some AMAZING things!

What a fortunate moment to be able to see this, and how cool to invest time, money, energy and skill in it's use to be able to photograph something that very few people have ever seen and then get to share it!??!??

Kudos! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

John Rawlings wrote:
-Curt
I can tell you what eventually happened... as we made our way past the same spot, another pair of divers that was diving with us came across the wolf eel with octopus tentacles hanging out of its mouth. I didn't see it myself. So... apparently our little cowboy ultimately ended up as dinner. Such is life in the wild underwater world.

Thanks everyone for the nice words. It was a fun short film to make and some cool footage from which to craft it. :) I'm currently working on some footage from way back in June from the Channel Islands and will post/share when it's all done.

Happy diving,
Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

That was so full of awesome! And I hope it was another octo that ended up as dinner, so that the smart ones like that can continue to reproduce. I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Kudos to both -the eel and octo! For the Octo-the ride of his life - more than 8 seconds. Way to go Octocowboy!
For the eel - You Da Man! - The Last Man Standing - that is, if he really ate the Octo, or just got one of the tentacles.

Only the strong survive!

Great Clip!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Penopolypants wrote:I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords.
Well, that's my new sig line... :supz: Good thing I was munching on Girl Scout cookies and not drinking something when I read that...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Post by -Aaron- »

Seainggreen,

Great video thanks for sharing :).

On a technical note, the Vimeo embedding here requires a www in the URL and by default Vimeo doesn't have them on theirs. If you just type www. in your link between "http://" and "vimeo.com" it should work. I embedded your Vimeo video below to demonstrate.

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/30531921[/vimeo]