Titlow - Or Bust!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by cardiver »

Splash at 1350 or so and you will have a nice dive.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

I've been out at DIW and Titlow on days that seemed 'doable'. There is an time offset from the 'predicted' slack for all sites. But, the offset can also vary depending on the tides and other conditions. People's opinion of that offset time vary from 30 mins to 1hr 15mins. Missing slack at sites like DIW or Titlow is NOT a fun experience. After looking at the tides for the next couple months I think your best off waiting until early February or March for an early entry...http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/nar/2012-02-02
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Gize,

Nov 14...1:50PM dive at Titlow.

I think this needs to happen imo. It ain't gonna get much better imo. Drinks on me afterword imo.

Official: I'm taking a vacation day Nov 14 TO DO THIS DIVE. !!!!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Have a nice dive, I'll be in Port Townsend diving a really good site! :smt064
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Lol, this thread is full of bust.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Jeremy wrote:Lol, this thread is full of bust.

must.....resist......
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

You know, I live in the north end, and I haven't done THAT many dives at Titlow. But I have definitely dived there off slack, and the current is nowhere near what it is at DIW (having aborted a dive at DIW and gone to Titlow immediately thereafter, I have a clear comparison). The current eddies there and is weaker in the shallow water, so if you start to feel like you're being blown around, moving shallower seems to make it better.

I don't know the site well enough to say go dive it off slack on a ten foot exchange, but I don't think you have to be as precise about slack on a tiny exchange as some of this thread suggests. They teach classes there, which suggests you can do more than one dive in a day without getting your rear end handed to you.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

LCF wrote:You know, I live in the north end, and I haven't done THAT many dives at Titlow. But I have definitely dived there off slack, and the current is nowhere near what it is at DIW (having aborted a dive at DIW and gone to Titlow immediately thereafter, I have a clear comparison). The current eddies there and is weaker in the shallow water, so if you start to feel like you're being blown around, moving shallower seems to make it better.

I don't know the site well enough to say go dive it off slack on a ten foot exchange, but I don't think you have to be as precise about slack on a tiny exchange as some of this thread suggests. They teach classes there, which suggests you can do more than one dive in a day without getting your rear end handed to you.
Your sentiments echo my initial impressions exactly. I see Titlow as a class site, lots of beginners dive there, and it's in the beginner dive sites in my PNW dive site book.

While I understand currents can be stronger there than at some other sites, I was surprised at the virtual death sentence that this thread is making Titlow out to be.

Barnacle heaven, incredible life, and unbelievable plumose - that's what I'm thinking!

Nov 14...think some people need to get on board here for an epic dive!

(imo)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jeremy wrote:Gize,

I think this needs to happen imo. It ain't gonna get much better imo. Drinks on me afterword imo.

I'll try to be there @ 1:00pm, I'll know for certain, after I get back from my Sitka Trip.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Bro - welcome aboard!!
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I've avoided many of the sites in the narrows that are marked as current sensitive. (Don't. Like. Strong. Current. Visions of getting sucked out to sea.) Until I dove Titlow Saturday with a friend. :) Our plan was to hit it at slack high in the early afternoon.

We hit another site in the AM, then broke for lunch and FAILED in terms of keeping our time table.

We got in about 2 hours after the peak of high tide (4pm-ish) to no noticeable current. An hour later, we were crawling our way out along the bottom. I wasn't about to pop up until I hit 5 ft of water or less! And when I did, it was kinda hard to stand, the pull was so hard!

WOW.

Glad I did it, though; the dive is simple and pretty awesome (easy, lots of good stuff to see [the covered pillars are awesome, adorable little grunt sculpins, nudis galore!]). I too thought, "Great site for classes or newer divers," thanks to a non-silty bottom over much of the main dive site.

But only IF at the right time and between small exchanges. The current did seem to come up somewhat fast, and it strengthened pretty quickly. This could be a serious problem for a new diver, a diver who isn't experienced with current, or who would have difficulty with some heavy physical exertion.

Edit: Let me say it straight: if I hadn't had the air to not sweat it and crawl in along the bottom, I'd be out in the shipping lane right now, because that was a current I could NOT have swam against on the surface, and swimming across it wouldn't have necessarily gotten me to a shore. :eek:

This high was at the end of an 8 ft exchange, headed into a 10 foot exchange for the next low. Woo hoo, what a rodeo! Wasn't the worst I've encountered (just don't dive anywhere when you're looking at a 12-14 foot exchange, even Redondo, I've learned).

Next week the mid-day exchange to high tide is small (low at 12:17pm 7.4ft to a high at 5:02 or 11.2ft) but get the heck out at night because then it's a ten footer! Sunday's looking good, too. (That's if I'm not messing up my tide tables. :-) )

Enjoy!
Last edited by lavachickie on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

BASSMAN wrote:
Jeremy wrote:Gize,

I'll try to be there @ 1:00pm, I'll know for certain, after I get back from my Sitka Trip.
Ya know, I think I will take a day of leave and join you too... I've got a new tank that needs another checkout dive :partydance: and Titlow is one of the places I've been wanting to try since I live right across the Narrows. I'll probly just do one tank. (FYI - pretty much still at novice level, but getting better every dive)

There are probly some other locals who could be enticed into a meetup, if they can get out of working...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

So, Jeremy - still up for tomorrow? I'm taking the day off too, I'll be at the parking lot about noon, to 12:30ish. I drive a silver/grey Honda Civic.

Bassman? Up for another dive after your Alaska adventures? :supz:

Jim
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Absolutely I'll be there! Looking forward to it and really hope Bassman can make it too.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Today, more Titlow - more bust.

Gorgeous day, no current and best conditions in a month, dropped to 10 ft and saw we were in for some great viz. Then buddy had equipment problems - dive aborted.

BUST!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Jeremy wrote:Today, more Titlow - more bust.

Gorgeous day, no current and best conditions in a month, dropped to 10 ft and saw we were in for some great viz. Then buddy had equipment problems - dive aborted.

BUST!
Best conditions in a month?
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

In terms of small exchanges and longest low current times today was one of the best compared to several of the last few weeks.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Titlow - Or Bust!

Post by Jeremy »

Think this site is cursed imo - maybe is an old Indian burial ground.
Matthew
Just Settling In

Post by Matthew »

I have the same feeling about Waterman Wall. I've had equipment problems 3 out of four dives.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Jeremy wrote:Today, more Titlow - more bust.

BUST!
Yeah, it was a definite bust... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I had a new weight configuration, and didn't put enough lead in the pouches, so I ended up floating like a damn cork. Plus I was getting water in the shoulder dump valve, plus water in thru either the neck seal or my chest intake valve. And one of the gloves, though I was finally able to seat the rings and get a good seal.

I think it might have been because this was Dive # 13 for me, too. :angryblue: Argh...

Jim
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

you guys just need to come dive on a Thursday with me!
Still have not planned my Thursday 11-17-11 dives yet but should be soon. keep an eye on the dive planning section. :smt064
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Umm...anyone interested in a 10:30 AM Friday dive at Titlow? Titlow is going down imo...

*runs for the hills....*
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jeremy wrote:Umm...anyone interested in a 10:30 AM Friday dive at Titlow? Titlow is going down imo...

*runs for the hills....*
If you have a Tank for me to use :smt064

My Tanks will probably be used up on Thursday Night, Dive shop will not be open until 10:00am. :dontknow:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

BRO - I WILL HAVE A 100HP FOR YOU!!!!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jeremy wrote:BRO - I WILL HAVE A 100HP FOR YOU!!!!
Okay, I'll see you there!
We should splash about 30 min before slack.