Darwin missed his chance

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Darwin missed his chance

Post by spatman »

from the youtube description:
Myself & my buddy Paul Samways were diving off Pidgeon Island in East New Britain Papau New Guinea. We had descended fast down to around 57 metres to call sharks. It was about 3 minutes into the dive when Paul turned to see a big Silver Tip Reef shark charging in at him fast. Unbelievably he was unharmed by the attack. Apart from a severe headache he was completely unscathed having not so much as a scratch on him.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgclsxKrydI[/youtube]
Novice
Dive-aholic

Re: Darwin missed his chance

Post by Novice »

"Calling" sharks aside. I love the 180 foot dive on an AL 80, genius.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

OK, tropical waters not Puget Sound waters, but doesn't the environment and amount of light around them suggest they mixed up Metres and feet?

Aside from that, holy carp! I'd have been doing a little water pollution myself at that point... :eek:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

RoxnDox wrote:OK, tropical waters not Puget Sound waters, but doesn't the environment and amount of light around them suggest they mixed up Metres and feet?

Aside from that, holy carp! I'd have been doing a little water pollution myself at that point... :eek:

Jim
With good viz at mid day there is plenty of light at 180'.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

cardiver wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:OK, tropical waters not Puget Sound waters, but doesn't the environment and amount of light around them suggest they mixed up Metres and feet?

Jim
OK. Not having experienced that, had ta ask ... I bow to your superior knowledge! :neener:

Jim
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

RoxnDox wrote:
cardiver wrote:

Jim
OK. Not having experienced that, had ta ask ... I bow to your superior knowledge! :neener:

Jim
wrong smilie, shoulda been :notworthy:

D'OH!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

What a couple of retards.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

the gauge shows temp in Celsius, therefore depth is in meters.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I was on some wrecks in Lake Huron this summer and at 180 you still didn't need a dive light and could see the whole wreck on most of the 7 we were on. It was amazing! I chose not to dive a single 80 of air. We also chose to not summon any sharks.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

1 min till deco ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I think the shark was telling him to quit making so much noise. From the sound of the camera dude's breathing, I'm surprised he managed that dive on an AL80. Couldn't have been a very long dive ...

... Bob
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

There are simply no words....
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wonder how long it took them to surface after that and what color the water was. :rofl: :rofl:
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

depth and adequate breathing gas aside, a word of caution about summoning sharks with a plastic water bottle full of air. the one time I witnessed this I was on air, not so deep but had to come up before the action started. my wife stayed down on a rebreather with a friend and had an eye opening experience. several sharks came running. when we came looking for them in the skiff we found my wife standing on a coral head, fully out of the water and down right mortified by the response of the sharks which followed and buzzed her all the way to the surface!

There must be something about the crinkling of that plastic that drives them crazy. the guy in the above video is lucky he didn't get injured... maybe it's best to not crank on the bottle quite so much?
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It's bad form to ring the dinner bell for something that can eat you. Especially in it's own back yard. :eek:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Its funny that on their Youtube site they have to see all the comments before allowing them to post on their video. Over a thousand views and only three comments. It's funny that the only comments are people going WOW and NEATO and you guys are swell!!! (not actual quotes)
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Blitz wrote:What a couple of retards.
+1
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

diverden wrote:I was on some wrecks in Lake Huron this summer and at 180 you still didn't need a dive light and could see the whole wreck on most of the 7 we were on. It was amazing! I chose not to dive a single 80 of air. We also chose to not summon any sharks.
(Ignoring that you were in Lake Huron . . .) And that would be why Darwin hasn't visited you.
mz53480 wrote:
Blitz wrote:What a couple of retards.
+1
+2 on the retardation.
Kelly
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+3 on being total idiots!

180ft on Air with only a single AL80.. Thats like all sorts of retarded.. if things went pear shaped at the end of that dive and they had to share air on the way up.. Darwin would've claimed at least 2 people.. :nutty:

And HOLY COW :eek: on the "shark call" result!! I betcha that dude will freek out whenever a water bottle goes "crackle!" near him for the next few years!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

actually is you listen closely to the rythm of the bottle noise, it really sounds like the theme from JAWS. DUUUM DUM DUUUM DUM

when I dove in Hawaii one rule was to NOT pee in the wet suit. I think they should also now include no sharting in the wet suit. :nutty:
Jeff Castor
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Apart from a severe headache he was completely unscathed having not so much as a scratch on him.
So I'm thinking his severe headache was from CO2. His respiration and heart rate probably shot up after that encounter. Any other opinions?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:
Apart from a severe headache he was completely unscathed having not so much as a scratch on him.
So I'm thinking his severe headache was from CO2. His respiration and heart rate probably shot up after that encounter. Any other opinions?
That and the aftermath of strong narcosis... Didn't look like the shark hit him in the head.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
skubi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by skubi »

Dusty2 wrote:Wonder how long it took them to surface after that and what color the water was. :rofl: :rofl:
um, warhammer maneuver comes to mind... :bootyshake:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I'm guessing they got hammered with negative responses.. The "commenting" feature has been disabled since this morning..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

It looks like the shark was politely asking the diver to knock that sh.. off.

Next time wear a meat suit.