Yep Im A Scubnewb And So What ;-)

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Yep Im A Scubnewb And So What ;-)

Post by scubnewb »

HOLA PEEPOLA!!!

:pirate:

Yep, Im a newb for sure... Got certified in May/June at Underwater Sports In North Seattle and I live near Green lake... My Pops was a Deep Sea Diver in the 70's & 80's doing the whole Sat Living In A Bell thing with some crazy depths for back then, he was nuts and was always ready to push the limits... :nutty: Im 34 now an just getting into Diving but about 10 years ago I was outside the door of DIT about to walk into start a career towards diving which I never consulted with my pops... So right before I walked in I gave him a call.... AND HE TOLD ME NOT TO DO IT!!! Talked me right out of it for this and that reason so i respected his wishes... 10 years later I finally got the Bug again and got Rec Certified and with the few Dives I got (Like 4 LOL) I have fallen in love with it. My pops never would talk to me about his diving experiences growing up but when i got certified all the sudden we were talking about all kinds of stuff... i think i understand why now... With that said I am looking to get out as much as possible with some more experienced divers to get myself on point with being a safe diver... Definitly looking for some dive buddies that I can hang with, dive with, and afterwards be compfortable with drinking a pint with! I finally got all my gear together now and am ready to go! LETS DIVE!!!

:funky:

Appologes Ahead Of Time If I Silt The Bottom My First Few Times Out With You LOL....

Phillip Swanson AKA - Da Scubnewb :-)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Yep Im A Scubnewb And So What ;-)

Post by Jeff Pack »

as another sort of newbie, welcome.

There's alot of knowledge and experience here. All ya gotta do is ask. I'm always looking for other new divers to pair up with, as (unfortunately) here they are in short supply.

I only dive weekends though, so anytime ya wanna go, hit me up. I do have to share my weekends amongst my other interests (Quads, off road motorcycling, and the wife), but with winter months ahead, not much riding.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Welcome to the underwater world!

Nobody around here should feel that it's hard to find dive buddies. There are a number of standing dives that welcome new divers -- the Monday Mukilteo Madness dive is one of those (although it's been a bit sporadic lately, I think). Every other Tuesday, the Moss Bay Dive Club has a Cove 2 dive, at which anyone is welcome, although if you haven't signed a MBDC waiver, you have to do that (organizers have forms at the site). Wednesdays, the GUE folks usually have a Tweak, a midweek dive to have fun and practice skills, and everybody is welcome. BASSMAN does a Thursday dive in the South Sound. And weekends, we ALL go diving!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey Welcome, Tell us your 20 buddy so we can get an idea of your availability for dives.

Can't fault Pops at all. My brother did the pro diver/sat thing for about 12 years. It's a tough life with allot of inherent risks and long term side effects. Also no future, It's a job for the young. Most all done on contract with poor pay no benny's and when you burn out, and everyone does, your on your own.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

You mentioned a dive and a pint, well that certainly fits at least a couple weekly dives that I know of. You have the MMM every Monday with their first dive at, I believe 4:30pm and then another at 6:30, then they head off to the Diamond knot for SCUBA talk and laughs.
I host Wednesdays Bubbles and Suds where we meet at a couple different areas, either Muk T-dock, Edmonds, or the Lighthouse Clay walls. We do a 7pm splash (must be prepared for night diving i.e. light, backup light, and comfort with diving in the dark). Then we hit up the bar for some beverages. Looking forward to hearing your growth as a diver, welcome to the madness that is PNW diving!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Philip! You are definitely in the right place - for all the reasons mentioned above and more.

I think it's really cool how your certification opened conversation with your pops. I'll bet he has some amazing stories! And as someone who misses my own Dad tons I'll say, treasure the times!

Welcome to the board and the glorious, green, underwater world of Puget Sound!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the addiction, and welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ZachSD
Avid Diver

Post by ZachSD »

Yoyo thought i'd say what up man, see ya tomorrow
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Phillip,

I knew it was only a matter of time and you would stop lurking on this site. It was nice to meet you in my house this week. Like I told you, you will not be disappointed with the responses and the willingness of the people on this club to help you become a better diver. I have no doubt about it, since you got the "genes" from your pops.

I wished we could have dived today at Redondo with Mongo, Linedog, and Plurple, but it was a last minute itch for me to dive. Don't worry, we have plenty of time to dive in the future.

Welcome Phillip!

Tom
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Phillip!
Hope to see you come down to The South Sound Dives on a Thursday, with Coulturboy some day!
Great to see, yet another, addicted diver here.

Yep, I'm totally addicted too! :supz:

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

@ Jeff Pack: Sounds like we got alot of the same interest man, I live near green lake and definitly looking for some dive buddies in the area. I am pretty flexable over all on when I can dive as I am self employed and from what I hear my boss is pretty a petty cool dude who does mind when I take off for a dive. I am definitly not a morning person as I work at night and am always up late but afternoons and evenings are all good with me.

@LCF: Thanks for all the info... I am concidering the MMM dive coming up actually.

@Dusy2: Overall I am pretty flexable as I stated earlier as i am self emplyed but prefer afternoons and evenings, weekends just depend on if I am booked or not for a gig so those are up in the air here and there but as long as I am not booked, well lets dive.

@Norris: The wensdays sound ideal, tues and weds are my slowest days of the week, I havent dived at night yet but am defintly ready to get out there and learn and besides, Weds Nights are my drinking night anyhow haha!

@Tom Nic & Penolpoly pants: thanks for the words my friends!

@ZachSd: haha yep fo suuuure fo suuure!

@Coulterboy: Hell yeah man, it was a pleasure meeting you and chatting it up man! Looking forward to diving with you and learning to be a better and safer diver, I am thinking about MMM and will know if I can do it tomorrow.

@Bassman: Heading to Tacoma tomorrow and looking forward to exploring all our region has to offer! i hear there are some great crabbing spots out that way!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
nwprodivers
Frequent Bubbler

Post by nwprodivers »

Yes welcome, it is always exciting to hear about new divers from the northwest hooked into the sport. Have you lived in the Seattle and Washington State area your whole life, if so, then you probably already have a good idea of where many of the good dive spots are; however, I am sure there are several of us in the forums that may have a few other spots you may not know of. Anyways, we can always use extra dive buddies, the more the merrier, and the safer we can all play. Hope to see you out there.
"Walk on Land, But LIVE in Water"
NW Pro Divers, LLC
www.nwprodivers.com
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yes I was raised here but learning about different dive spots currently... I am sure there are plenty I dont know about and would like to find out about outside of the common and most mentioned ones.
Last edited by scubnewb on Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

we should plan a dive at EUP sometime. I cant this weekend as I'm gonna go bust one of Dusty's lights at PT, and doing a class with Bob on sunday.

BYW, I can only dive weekends.

scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

@jeff yeah lets do it, I am hoping to find someone to get out with on Sunday or Sat afternoon but no luck so far. I picked up 2 Catalina S80 tanks the otherday and had them hydro's/vip'd and filled so I am ready to go! I ordered some UK lights (Q40 & SL4) the otherday myself, what is the dusty lights?
-Confucius
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

scubnewb wrote:@jeff yeah lets do it, I am hoping to find someone to get out with on Sunday or Sat afternoon but no luck so far. I picked up 2 Catalina S80 tanks the otherday and had them hydro's/vip'd and filled so I am ready to go! I ordered some UK lights (Q40 & SL4) the otherday myself, what is the dusty lights?
Heya it seems that my Sunday will be "lead some newer divers around day" We are doing a 12pm splash at Mukilteo lighthouse park and diving the clay walls. If you need to get out, you are welcome to join us.

also...Dusty is a person on the boards here, and he makes lights.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'm diving with Bob Saturday after all, so sunday is (unless I've been banished) a dive in PT, or else I'm open. Muk would be new as well. I havent dove anything north yet.

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Well just let me know..

ricknorris@gmail.com

425-280-3943

Rick
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I may be able to get out there on Sunday with you guys... Time to get back in the water and see how my knee's gonna like swimming again after a month+ off... Tides look pretty nice for the wall and hopefully the vis is decent too
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nice the more the merrier! See ya then...Really mellow exchange at the time we are going so 12ish splash...Ill be in a Tan Jeep Liberty.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

See ya there... My vans kinda hard to miss...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

@norris LOL at "lead some new divers around day"..... well for what its worth it well appreciated. So sunday sounds like the plan for sure. Anyone coming from Seattle and want to carpool, Im all about the HOV lanes lol... If not I will be in a big brown two tone suburban with some big shiny rims on it :supz: :supz: :supz:

Oh and where is this dive site exactly located so I can punch it in the GPS if need be...
-Confucius
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

scubnewb wrote:@norris LOL at "lead some new divers around day"..... well for what its worth it well appreciated. So sunday sounds like the plan for sure. Anyone coming from Seattle and want to carpool, Im all about the HOV lanes lol... If not I will be in a big brown two tone suburban with some big shiny rims on it :supz: :supz: :supz:

Oh and where is this dive site exactly located so I can punch it in the GPS if need be...
Here ya go. I will most likely be there at 11ish

http://tinyurl.com/6sse4wx
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

that link shows 2 locations, which one is it?

I assume light house park, not the state park?

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Corrrect Sir...Lighthouse Park is basically drive down the Mukilteo Hill until you get to the Ferry on-ramp. Take a left at the stopsign and follow signs to the park.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**