An Introduction

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

An Introduction

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Hello NWDC!
I’m addicted to diving. I got my OW a year ago and have spent an ever increasing amount of time in the water. I got my AOW over the summer and then Rescue Diver in September. I just recently completed my gear set with a couple tanks and love the flexibility of going out on a whim. I try to hit the water at least once a week and more often twice a week.
I have a regular buddy and since we both live in north Seattle, we end up at EUP a lot. I love the diversity of wildlife at Edmonds and don’t mind the swim or shallow water. I really like Redondo and Three Tree, but those are weekend dives for me because of the driving distance.

My other major hobby is wildlife photography, mainly birds. I’m transitioning into underwater photography and having fun with all of the new challenges it entails. My main focus with photography is expanding public awareness of conservation issues. I enjoy understanding the life history and biology of my subjects and the whole new world of invertebrates and fishes is a huge amount of fun. I consider myself an amateur naturalist/biologist.
I am on the lookout for citizen science opportunities that can leverage the dive community and will hopefully be joining the octopus count in February.

As far as dive buddies go: if you’re safe, slow, enjoy staring at tunicates for more than 10 seconds and don’t mind waiting for pictures to be taken, then I’m a potential dive buddy!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: An Introduction

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome!

This is the perfect place to hang out - you'll find a ton of folks who share your passions.

Love your avatar pic, BTW!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Welcome to the board. Sounds like you'll fit it just great with all of us diving maniacs. If you are looking for ways to help in a citizen science way, look into joining REEF and doing fish/invertebrate surveys while diving. You can take a Fish ID or REEF class from several different people in the Seattle area to get you started. Go to www.reef.org for more info.
Again, welcome. See you in the water.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome to the Addiction!
I often tell people, "I'm addicted to diving!" There are a lot worse things to be addicted to huh?
You have the same idea of the diving that most NWD's do when it comes to diving in our local waters here.
Someone here on the board said, "Diving without a camera is like playing the piano without fingers."
Or something like that. If you ever get down to the South end on a Thursday, you are welcome to come join me on a couple of dives! Keep an eye on the "Dive Planning" section. I usually post something on a Wednesday.
Again, welcome to the Board / Club.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Welcome! What days do you usually dive EUP and time? I live in Edmonds.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
nwprodivers
Frequent Bubbler

Post by nwprodivers »

Greetings, and welcome to the forums and diving.
Look forward to potentially seeing you out and about.
I am by no means a hurry so we can see as much as possible diver, so I may be just the type of diver you wouldn't mind hanging with.
"Walk on Land, But LIVE in Water"
NW Pro Divers, LLC
www.nwprodivers.com
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I tend to prefer a slow and leisurely pace as well, saves air, more fun. Never dove at EUP yet. Would like to.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Let the record show that we do a weekly night dive at Edmonds when the tides are in our favor. Keep your eyes open for Bubbles and Suds in Dive planning
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

An Introduction

Post by Jeremy »

Do you have to get a permit to dive nights at Edmonds?
nwprodivers
Frequent Bubbler

Post by nwprodivers »

Last time I dove Edmonds, no permit was required; however, that was towards the end of last year before I left for my military assignment. Just got back in October, so not sure if that has changed.
"Walk on Land, But LIVE in Water"
NW Pro Divers, LLC
www.nwprodivers.com
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

An Introduction

Post by Jeremy »

Thought I heard from the Edmonds UWS manager that you can't just go night dive Edmonds or the city gets a little excited.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Yeah you need a permit, but its the same with scooters...people will do it until they get caught. Edmonds is a fun night dive.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!
coulterboy wrote:Welcome! What days do you usually dive EUP and time? I live in Edmonds.
We've actually met underwater and then topside at EUP. I was the guy in the black and silver Teknodiver. You gave me a hang-five underwater and patiently explained that the Lopez Pontoon was in fact not the Triumph. Hi!
Norris wrote:Let the record show that we do a weekly night dive at Edmonds when the tides are in our favor. Keep your eyes open for Bubbles and Suds in Dive planning
Awesome! I will definitely pay attention to that.
Jeremy wrote:Do you have to get a permit to dive nights at Edmonds?
It's a bit confusing. The park closes at 10 PM. The sign at the park says "Night diving by permit only after 10 PM". My buddy and I concluded that you needed to get a permit if you are planning to dive past 10PM so that your car doesn't get towed. This was relevant in summer when the sun was setting around 9PM. Now that it sets at 5PM, I'm no so sure. I will put in a call to Parks and Recreation and report back.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Welcome. Love your screen name, and the avatar. :) Gunnels are so cute!

I'm so jealous every time I read an intro by a Seattle-area-ite. Oh, to be able to just knock off of work early and hit one of my favorite sites on the Sound... that would be heaven. :)
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
doubtingGunnel
Avid Diver

Post by doubtingGunnel »

Got a response from Edmond Parks and Recreation RE: night diving. I posted it to a separate thread for visibility:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16940
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

doubtingGunnel wrote:Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!
coulterboy wrote:Welcome! What days do you usually dive EUP and time? I live in Edmonds.
We've actually met underwater and then topside at EUP. I was the guy in the black and silver Teknodiver. You gave me a hang-five underwater and patiently explained that the Lopez Pontoon was in fact not the Triumph. Hi!
Norris wrote:Let the record show that we do a weekly night dive at Edmonds when the tides are in our favor. Keep your eyes open for Bubbles and Suds in Dive planning
Awesome! I will definitely pay attention to that.
Jeremy wrote:Do you have to get a permit to dive nights at Edmonds?
It's a bit confusing. The park closes at 10 PM. The sign at the park says "Night diving by permit only after 10 PM". My buddy and I concluded that you needed to get a permit if you are planning to dive past 10PM so that your car doesn't get towed. This was relevant in summer when the sun was setting around 9PM. Now that it sets at 5PM, I'm no so sure. I will put in a call to Parks and Recreation and report back.
Okay. I see! Were you with your wife or GF that day? I'm glad you finally joined the club.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I live in North Seattle as well, near Green Lake/Ravenna actually right on the freeway (65th/Ravenna Exit) by the Die Bierstube (Awesome Bar)... Looking for some local and close dive buddies to get out there with and hang out with. What part of the Northend are you in?

doubtingGunnel wrote:Hello NWDC!
I’m addicted to diving. I got my OW a year ago and have spent an ever increasing amount of time in the water. I got my AOW over the summer and then Rescue Diver in September. I just recently completed my gear set with a couple tanks and love the flexibility of going out on a whim. I try to hit the water at least once a week and more often twice a week.
I have a regular buddy and since we both live in north Seattle, we end up at EUP a lot. I love the diversity of wildlife at Edmonds and don’t mind the swim or shallow water. I really like Redondo and Three Tree, but those are weekend dives for me because of the driving distance.

My other major hobby is wildlife photography, mainly birds. I’m transitioning into underwater photography and having fun with all of the new challenges it entails. My main focus with photography is expanding public awareness of conservation issues. I enjoy understanding the life history and biology of my subjects and the whole new world of invertebrates and fishes is a huge amount of fun. I consider myself an amateur naturalist/biologist.
I am on the lookout for citizen science opportunities that can leverage the dive community and will hopefully be joining the octopus count in February.

As far as dive buddies go: if you’re safe, slow, enjoy staring at tunicates for more than 10 seconds and don’t mind waiting for pictures to be taken, then I’m a potential dive buddy!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius