Really bad news for Seattle divers

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Really bad news for Seattle divers

Post by John Rawlings »

This sounds great! I "signed" the petition, but due to my recovery I just can't make it - tough night last night....

Good luck to the "protesters", which is something that I never would have ever expected me to say!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

John, i hope you get better fast!

I hear you with regards to 'protesters' I think we should call it a "rally" instead ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ljjames wrote:John, i hope you get better fast!

I hear you with regards to 'protesters' I think we should call it a "rally" instead ;)
Agreed. And try to avoid any "occupy" references....although "octopi" IS hillarious.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I won't be here, but I think that it will pay dividends to have any kind of coverage of the "occupation". Laura, did you ask Tracy to write about it if you furnish her photos and video? Or better yet, she can come down. Ping King 5 too, they are often out in Alki filming for things as mundane as a new log that washed up on the beach or a lost frisbee.

Lastly, man, if we could get some of the fishermen in on this it would be AWESOME. If anyone is diving at Cove 2 between now and Saturday, please let the fishing folks know what's going on and perhaps they'll self organize.

Good work all!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

So I just perused this and found it somewhat interesting. I'm a long ways from Seattle but I have dove at Alki and have been to the Fish Shack so I tend to agree with your thinking that it stinks!

But putting my other hat on, I'm a government contracting officer by day and can see how all this transpired. The Fish shack must have won the RFP back 10 years ago from another operator. Anyway the City has an obligation to keep the site manned and they have an obligation to make sure the process is fair to the public by giving others the opportunity to bid periodically. The Fish Shack knew going into this that this day would eventually come.

So the City released this by RFP rather the competitive bid. The difference is that with an RFP you score the proposal on the merits of the information provided rather than strictly awarding to low bidder as you would on a bid. Typically we do RFPs, cost receives 40% of the points, experience 5-10%, management plan 10%, etc, etc. The thing I find weird is that in this RFP they do not breakout what the scoring system will be. IMO that's a serious flaw there.

Basically unless there are more documents than the RFP and the FAQ, I view this as a flawed procurement because there is no award criteria. But, it's up to the Fish Shack to protest the award. Typically only those susceptible to award are eligible to protest a contract once the notice of intent has been made public.
Dave Mitchell
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

There's a lot more data here about the criteria, the actual scores and the two proposals. I felt the same way until Laura pointed out this story.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

So looking at that, If AlkiCF did protest, I hope they did it on the merits of what you see in the scoring.

Basically, Marination did a good job with the proposal, it looks better and it says the right thing. AlkiCF more or less is just typewritten and it really just says we are going to stick with the status quo. They did themselves a disservice with that proposal.

Here's what I would protest if I was them. Evaluator #1 was either sucked in by the look of Marination's proposal or he was bias to start, His scoring was too far from everyone else to be considered non-biased. But even if we throw his score out, Marination still wins. But I would still protest the fact that they used 2 people for Evaluator #4 that's not right and could have affected the outcome.

In the end, if they lose this it's their own fault for not putting a lot more effort into the proposal. A few $$$ with a PR firm would have really made a big difference here.
Dave Mitchell
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Tracy will cover it :)

And yes, to a degree, ACF made this bed, i have also read through the proposals, the criteria, the numbers, etc... In this competitive market, having great marketing and a PR campaign can absolutely make or break a business. He was too relaxed, that is obvious. But as most of us also know, what is on a piece of paper doesn't always tell the whole story, and in my mind, that is what this is about. Apparently they also down scored him for not providing full fiscal data, but he was under the impression that the city already had that info from a prior correspondence.

Tangfish wrote:I won't be here, but I think that it will pay dividends to have any kind of coverage of the "occupation". Laura, did you ask Tracy to write about it if you furnish her photos and video? Or better yet, she can come down. Ping King 5 too, they are often out in Alki filming for things as mundane as a new log that washed up on the beach or a lost frisbee.

Lastly, man, if we could get some of the fishermen in on this it would be AWESOME. If anyone is diving at Cove 2 between now and Saturday, please let the fishing folks know what's going on and perhaps they'll self organize.

Good work all!
----
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sorry, unable to make it saturday, work constraints. But Ill be there in thought. Good luck.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

There is now a paper copy of the petition at Alki Crab and Fish Co. I put it in 3 ring binder so we can add pages as more people sign. Also printing out some blank petition pages for them for pen and ink signatures.

I'm not sure that all the owners/staff of local dives shops are on this forum, would it be possible for folks who are here to pass the info on to your LDS and make sure they know about both the petition and the Rally on Saturday at noon?

I had a thought re: the Rally. (its been posted about in the west seattle blog btw, also i told ACF staff about it as well, and they will let the fisher folks know)

How would it sound if we park as far away as you are comfy walking, and then we start walking towards the intended rally point.... as we walk we will be picking up folks along the way.. it could be a pretty neat way to show up. Maybe a handful of folks start down towards 5th Dimension dive shop and another handful start out at Duwamish head/Luna park overlook... As we walk the group will swell :) I kinda thought it might be nice to walk since the weather isn't particularly pleasant for standing around, and i don't expect everyone to show up in a drysuit ;) other folks who don't want to walk can carpool in and drop off as well, but somehow the impact of a hoard of divers banding together and walking as a group seems kinda cool (and if we have a couple folks with cameras in the group showing the adding of folks along the way, it would make for fun footage)

I will pick up some material for some signage today and folk are welcome to make their own :) As Calvin mention, lets try to keep it "rally in support of" oriented, as opposed to 'occupy' or 'protest' :)

We can use this as our morning exercise too ;)
----
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

So Saturday? I fly back from NM Fri and have to teach a class Sat. Is there anything those of us not able to march can do in support?
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Hey Sounder, would you be willing to tell your story about the AED on video? I think there will be media opportunities for some 'what ACF has done for the community to garner such support' stories, and that would be an outstanding one...

I'd be happy to shoot it, or maybe Laurynn or Dan would be interested? If you put it up on youtube then we could link it to the story...

The same goes for anyone else who has a story they'd like told where Yvonne and the crew gave exceptional service, i'm happy to volunteer my time/camera/editing for the cause.

I'll have a camera out at the Rally, maybe folks can do some impromptu interviews there as well :)
----
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

You could call the local TV news people about the marching divers, they might be interested, Different kind of
"Occupy" :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Darn! sounds like a fun get together! I won't get to be there because I'll be in Port Townsend doing my unofficial Point Hudson dive ambassador duties but I will be rooting for ya and the ACF.

Should be a good show and a chance for people to get together and chat up some memories.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Jan K wrote:You could call the local TV news people about the marching divers, they might be interested, Different kind of
"Occupy" :)

Already in the works :) Gotta put those contacts we made with the Stormdrains, SS Dix and Sixgill projects to use somehow! ;)

West Seattle blog and possibly the Herald will be there (barring something big catching fire)

on a more personal note, the folks from ACF want to thank all of you who signed the petition and made such wonderful comments... I printed the first 700 signatures out for them this afternoon and put them in a binder (so we could add easily) and some pages for pen and ink signatures... As they read through the comments from all of you there were tears...

I honestly don't know if what we are doing will make a difference, but at least it will show Yvonne et al that we love them and appreciate all that they've done..

Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved...
----
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

ljjames wrote:Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved...
That statement's a keeper. Well said.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
ljjames wrote:Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved...
That statement's a keeper. Well said.
Agree
I hope they get a new building very close by.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

ljjames wrote:Hey Sounder, would you be willing to tell your story about the AED on video? I think there will be media opportunities for some 'what ACF has done for the community to garner such support' stories, and that would be an outstanding one...

I'd be happy to shoot it, or maybe Laurynn or Dan would be interested? If you put it up on youtube then we could link it to the story...

The same goes for anyone else who has a story they'd like told where Yvonne and the crew gave exceptional service, i'm happy to volunteer my time/camera/editing for the cause.

I'll have a camera out at the Rally, maybe folks can do some impromptu interviews there as well :)
I'd be glad to talk about it. It was quite the struggle and having the proprietor's full-support was extremely helpful. They were also wonderful to those involved after the incident, myself included.

Do we want more media than the WSB? I can make a few calls if desired.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I think ACF would love all the help any and all of us can give them, so yes! more media coverage would be amazing! you are the marketing guru here :)

let me know re: shooting the AED story, however it gets there would be awesomeness, and I will do anything I can to help!
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Counting the pages of pen and ink sigs in the book at Alki Crab and Fish Co. tonight as of around 8pm, the petition in support is now over 1000 signatures!
----
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So there are a lot of people who've said they're not able to come... but is there anyone who IS coming tomorrow at 12pm?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

myself, Lamont, and a couple handful of others have confirmed. Also some of the fishermen and other folks.. Eric the owner, Yvonne, etc..
----
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sorry I can't be there ... I have a class tomorrow at Redondo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

bring the class to cove 1! ;)
----
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Unfortunately cant, as I need to get back to Tacoma Scuba to get my tanks filled if we have time enough. I only have weekends to be able to get around for fills (Live in Puyallup, work in Bothell).
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.