Sola 600's on sale...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Re: Sola 600's on sale...

Post by scubnewb »

I like those lights there buddy... :bounceline:

H20doctor wrote:i used to make dive lights..Im retired.. I make custom stuff.. 1 of a kind stuff , no light is the same , If im approached to build a project , and it looks like something i want to do ? maybe..? but as for now im making Video lights.. big bright video lights .. thats where the money is for me

Look here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90194211@N ... 369016137/
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

^That one beam shot, I expected to see a batman signal/shadow behind it... :)

Nice work.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Just wanted to send a shout out to H20Doctor for agreeing to hook me up with what is going to be a awesome primary in the near future and to coulterboy for pointing me that direction... Baby... I-I-I- Cant Wait..... [/youtube]www.http://youtu.be/v_Yx0X-eHn8[/youtube]
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

scubnewb wrote:Just wanted to send a shout out to H20Doctor for agreeing to hook me up with what is going to be a awesome primary in the near future...
*sigh*
:queenliz:

It 'only' took him 3 tries to get mine right. I think he finally fixed it after he got the silo dive video done (what's it been doc, about 3 years?)
:penelope:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

mz53480 wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Just wanted to send a shout out to H20Doctor for agreeing to hook me up with what is going to be a awesome primary in the near future...
*sigh*

It 'only' took him 3 tries to get mine right. I think he finally fixed it after he got the silo dive video done (what's it been doc, about 3 years?)
Um .. Um..sure mike.. Its called build destroy..build.. Lol
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

H20doctor wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
*sigh*

Um .. Um..sure mike.. Its called build destroy..build.. Lol
Yes. And the final product is good. Very gooooooood. Me likes.
:)
:supz:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

Lights is always and will always be a source of debate. The thing to keep in mind is pick a light that suits your dive style, dive goals and budget. The other thing to note is that there is not a lot to compare to unless you've owned a few that you can personally compare. Light and Motion has a great feature on its website which lets you compare the lights beams. I would recommend looking at this if you are in the shopping stage.

I personally have been happy with my Sola 1200's. They do have much shorter burn times than can lights but if you manage your light through the 3 different brightness levels, and switch between spot and flood, these times vary greatly. I can easily do two hour long dives with the lights. When you are close up to an animal I always use low anyway as to not blind the critter. If I am trying to reach into the distance I use the spot on high. The flood is awesome as a focus/video light, in fact one of the best I've used for videography.

As for batteries... They are not user replacable but they can be sent to Light and Motion for replacement. They have a 1000 charge cycle life, so they advertise. So the light is not disposable and it would roughly take 1000 dives before it would have to be sent back. For me thats about 4 years of use. By then I am sure there will be something even better, if I chose to switch or just send it back for battery change.

The big plus over any other light I have had is that it is "practically" flood proof. You don't ever open the light to charge anything as the charging connectors are on the outside. Yet outside of this, divers who dive with me when I am video taping say they are to bright.

A lot of people dive can lights, a lot more divers dive with traditional lights, I have dove both. Find what works for the style you are doing and you will be happy with whatever you choose.

Also just as a thought if cost is a factor, the new Light Cannon eled is also a very nice light if you don't mind holding it. It retails for less than $200 with a 825 lumen 9 hour burn time.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Gotta say, I have enjoyed this discussion. I have a Light Monkey LED, I really like it, but I have learned tons just from reading this thread. I wish I had asked the questions Jeff asked before purchasing mine. I may have went HID instead. Thats what is cool about this forum, a ton of experience here for the perusing.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

My buddy got a new Sola. We dove today at Edmonds. My Dusty light was brighter than his Sola. Then after an hour his Sola died.

He paid $350 for it, used. Which is what I paid for mine, new.

=> I win.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:My buddy got a new Sola. We dove today at Edmonds. My Dusty light was brighter than his Sola. Then after an hour his Sola died.

He paid $350 for it, used. Which is what I paid for mine, new.

=> I win.
:supz:

:)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
raptor
Dive-aholic

Sola 600's on sale...

Post by raptor »

I have the sola light and dustys light. They are both great for there very different applications. One light does not fit all situations.

I also added guard to my light switch. It works great and adds a lot of protection and stopped all accidental switch hits.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329057784.850882.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329057768.103845.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329057738.883694.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329057738.883694.jpg (39.5 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Switch Guard ='s Smart Addition... I have a light being built right now and should of asked for such a addition lol...
raptor wrote:I have the sola light and dustys light. They are both great for there very different applications. One light does not fit all situations.

I also added guard to my light switch. It works great and adds a lot of protection and stopped all accidental switch hits.
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'm actually considering a Salvo 35w HID right now

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeff Pack wrote:I'm actually considering a Salvo 35w HID right now

Light Crack! :)

Can Scooter Crack be far behind?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

First is compressor crack (this week), I'm still mulling over the can lights, but if get one, I wanna blot out the sun :)

I figure eventually I'll get one, and if the price right, then so be it.

And yea, scooters in there too, but I think a zodiac would be better.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

there, I did it, you can all tell me you told me so...

Got a 35w Salvo HID on its way.

Let the "I told you so's" begin...

Note, doesnt mean I'm gonna like it yet... :)

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Scubanewb.. Yr light has a switch guard.. Welcome to the can light crack club mr pack
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah Buddy! :funky:
H20doctor wrote:Scubanewb.. Yr light has a switch guard.. Welcome to the can light crack club mr pack
-Confucius
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jeff Pack wrote:there, I did it, you can all tell me you told me so...

Got a 35w Salvo HID on its way.

Let the "I told you so's" begin...

Note, doesnt mean I'm gonna like it yet... :)
Ya know it's like this. It's all about learning what we dont know, so we know what we don't need/want. Gratz to you and the new light, now watch what you say about all the other stuff you are not going to get (wink)
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The price was right and I'd like to get into some night dives and even some deeper lake washington dives

I don't see me using it much right now on my recreational dives, but like when I was on dalco wall@136fsw it would have been nice.

I see it as a tool. Right place, right time.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Funny to look back in time...