AOW Certification

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Scrappy
Frequent Bubbler

Re: AOW Certification

Post by Scrappy »

kitsapdiver wrote:So I usually don't post in threads like this one, and now that the thread has been sucessfully hi-jacked it is probably against my better judgement to address the original question. However, to the OP, becoming an OWI can be very rewarding, and it is an awesome goal. I wish you the best of luck in becoming a qualified and certified instructor.

My opinion on the AOW card is that it's actually not going to be on the "critical path" to becoming an instructor. At a minimum you need 100 dives beyond OW to qualify as an instructor, and I don't know many that got their OWI right at 100. So beside rescue, and dive master you're going to need to do a lot of other diving. Use that time to dive with as many different people as you can.

I know a lot of great divers who have good buoyancy skills, can resolve situations underwater, manage task loading etc. However very few of them have what is truely "demonstration quality" skills (including some certified instructors). That is the level that divers should be aspiring to when the want to become OWI. A class like essentials will help you really figure out what the little things are that change the quality from "very good" to "demonstration quality". You'll work on mastering the skills in the water column as opposed to sitting knees on the bottom, a demonstration that may be required from an OWI.

I also just think it's god to be exposed to as many flavors as you can find. If for no other reason you'll want to be able to serve the people that come into your shop even if they have different ideas about gear configuration, or ideology. I can think of at least one dive shop around here that gives me grief for using a BP/W setup.

I have never taken a class from NWGratefulDiver, but know enough about him as an instructor to say he's been exposed to a number of different diving environments, philosophies, and styles, and can answer any question you may have, and would bring great perspective to diving in the PNW, and what it takes to be a good instructor.

I have taken a class with Brian (as much as I'm sure he wants to forget those trainwrecks), and can say that if you want to see what I mean by demonstration quality, just dive with him one day, and you'll see what I mean. Both him and Jeanna have a very calming sense in the water because they have that demonstration quality mastery of the skills.

Lastly, there are a couple people that can come off on the board as pricks, but are actually great people, and even better divers. Don't write off anybody on the board until you have a good reason. By all mes Dive Dive Dive! And as always I'm up for diving, whenever!

Great response. I can say taking classes is great , but you are limited on actual dive time. I have learned the most from diving with buddies. They typically are not afraid to say " hey your trim sucks", how can I help or " quit swimming with Your hands" , here is a tip. ( both things I was doing) . However , I still did AOW, rescue and now DM. Good Luck!
Any day is a great day underwater!

Shawn
spatman
I've Got Gills

AOW Certification

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Its the internets, chill peoples :partyman:
We're all in agreement about that!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
H20doctor wrote:I learned everything in diving, from other experienced divers.. Not through classes

Ohhhhh page four .. I rules.. !!!!! :joshsmith:
Lol....and what is your ppo2 at 99 ft with 32%?
1.28 ppo2
Errrr...you said 1.28? Yeah you said that instead. But that's another thread :angelblue:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

kitsapdiver wrote: I have taken a class with Brian (as much as I'm sure he wants to forget those trainwrecks), and can say that if you want to see what I mean by demonstration quality, just dive with him one day, and you'll see what I mean. Both him and Jeanna have a very calming sense in the water because they have that demonstration quality mastery of the skills.
+1 for Brian and Jeanna and Frog Kick Diving!

You were not a trainwreck in any sense of the word!

Although lately, I feel like I've not been looking like a poster-child for Frog Kick Diving. It's one thing to learn a skill in class--be it OW, AOW, Essentials, or other--but it's another to KEEP using that skill and practice, practice, practice. I heard Brian's voice in my head today when I went vertical during an open-water ascent. (Or rather, his hand-signal to "Stay trim!") And then I heard myself say right back, "But at least I stayed eye-to-eye with my buddy the whole time!" Sigh . . . I'm so used to just following the slope up and out that I haven't been practicing my open-water ascents. :angry:
Kelly
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

For everybody's information, a thread isn't a train wreck until geek gets involved :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Wagon173 wrote: They teach you everything you need to know in OW.
:nutty:

Hey Now... thats no fair.. You know well that us mere mortal diving instructors can not compare with Open Water classes imparted directly by the hand of God...

:angelblue:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

kdupreez wrote:

Hey Now... thats no fair.. You know well that us mere mortal diving instructors can not compare with Open Water classes imparted directly by northwest prodivers...

Fixed that for ya
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

mz53480 wrote:
kdupreez wrote:

Hey Now... thats no fair.. You know well that us mere mortal diving instructors can not compare with Open Water classes imparted directly by northwest prodivers...

Fixed that for ya

BWAHAHAHAHA... Serious Coke Alert dude!!!!! You almost cost me my second freegin mac wireless keyboard!! :rofl:

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I cannot compete with the mighty MZ :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

*sigh* well, at least its not about can lights... :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

spatman wrote:mmm, beer. I should brew a winter diver ale of some kind....
Yes, please, then diving at Sund Rock. :supz: :supz: I'll bring the fireplace and grill.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

mz53480 wrote:

Dash, your Mom is a whore.
That's not true, she is a fine lady, a really REALLY FINE lady. :partydance:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:
mz53480 wrote:

Dash, your Mom is a whore.
That's not true, she is a fine lady, a really REALLY FINE lady. :partydance:
Thank you, I said the same thing about your mother when I went back in time to about 44 years ago. :neener:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:
6.4 Henways?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
6.4 Henways?
Duck!