I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Post by jedidiver »

I want a air-integrated computer for christmas, but dad says I only need a SPG and a bottem timer.What do you think?
The stormtroopers night out. :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky:
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Post by WylerBear »

:popcorn:
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

jedidiver wrote:I want a air-integrated computer for christmas, but dad says I only need a SPG and a bottem timer.What do you think?
Many will agree with using bottom timer and many will agree using computers, and few will agree with console computers. I agree with computers, mostly because I'm slightly lazy. A great dependable computer choice with oled is the shearwater predator, or atleast I think so from research..
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

When you can pay for your own gear, dive whatever you want. :taco:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

So I'm to eat popcorn,watch starwars,and let what happens happen?
The stormtroopers night out. :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky: :funky:
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Hmm,than maybe I should refresh my ATA chart.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

jedidiver wrote:So I'm to eat popcorn,watch starwars,and let what happens happen?
It's 10am, shouldn't you be in school?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

I was refering to winter vacation.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

RE: I want an air-integrated computer, what do you think?

Post by dewmercer »

I'm of the view that spg and bottom timer is the way to go. I have a very good air integrated setup which worked well until the transmitter started to weird out. I now use the computer in gauge mode as a backup to my Liquivision Xen.

Electronics and salt water don't mix well so limiting your reliance on electronics is a conservative way to go.

Computers are great for computing deco profiles but you should be able to do that in your head when the computer fails. If you can, and it's not hard, then you don't need a computer and can save a ton of money.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Makes sence,and I almost know my ATA's,so that could work.(and I could save the cash :funky:)
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

there's kool-aid in the fridge, help yourself! :blackblink:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

jedidiver wrote:Makes sence,and I almost know my ATA's,so that could work.(and I could save the cash :funky:)
I think as a new diver you should go true old school, an analog gauge and a cheap dive watch and an analog SPG with USN Dive tables. It's the ONLY way to learn to dive!

jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Sounds hard,but I bet I could do it.I don't want to die meanlesly!
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Check out the Xen. You can actually read it underwater. It runs about $500 but is worth it. Pm me if you want a pointer to local dealers. I've not seen it in local dive shops.

--
DAve Mercer
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

Is't the Xen the thing where you tap it on the sides to control it?
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Yup. Nothing is open to the water and no buttons to futz with in bulky gloves with cold hands. It also logs your depth and temp for later download to a computer.

As for dive tables: they are all pretty much the same with minor variations. An easy way to compute recreational deco on the fly is to use the rule of 110 (or 130 if breathing 32%). That is, your bottom time + depth should never exceed that number. Deco should be a 30'/min ascent stopping for 1 min every 10' from 50% of your max depth then a long slide to the surface.

This approach is more conservative than dive tables, especially when shallow, but it's easy to remember if you forget your tables or your dive plan changes underwater.

Dive tables are most useful when planning repetitive dives as you need to account for residual N2.

--
DAve Mercer
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

jedidiver wrote:I want a air-integrated computer for christmas, but dad says I only need a SPG and a bottem timer.What do you think?
I think he sounds like a pretty okay guy so far. Is he a member of this club? If not please encourage him to join and participate too. He might want to keep an eye on what advice people give you. And welcome, by the way. I've seen your other posts but hadn't said hi yet.

Ben
Last edited by airsix on Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Computer or bottom timer on the wrist and a seperate spg is the "way to go" IMO. I am not a fan of consoles at all. They are big, drag in the silt, and its hard to read your depth on them while venting your BC or drysuit.

smart dad
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

I have seen the Xen and it's cool.Nice way of controling(even more so when you have big hands)Maybe that's the way to go once I learn my tables.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

jedidiver wrote:I have seen the Xen and it's cool.Nice way of controling(even more so when you have big hands)Maybe that's the way to go once I learn my tables.
Unfortunately it gobbles up batteries. There are other computer/bottom timers units minues the OLED which are much more efficient on battery power. Your eyes are young you should be able to see them :)
Try the seikos for instance, sold by TDL, divegearexpress, and others for ~$250 or so.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

What kind batteries?
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Unfortunately it gobbles up batteries. There are other computer/bottom timers units minues the OLED which are much more efficient on battery power. Your eyes are young you should be able to see them :)
Try the seikos for instance, sold by TDL, divegearexpress, and others for ~$250 or so.
Actually, it "used" to gobble batteries. The new firmware has largely solved the issue. I don't know how many dives I've gotten from my latest battery but its at least 3 x more than I did with the original F/W.
--
DAve Mercer
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

jedidiver wrote:What kind batteries?
Not common ones. The only place I've been able to find them has been through local dealers. They run between $7 and $10 each. That said, you get a ton of dives from one battery, especially if you set your display settings properly. Liquivision has advice on how to do this.
--
DAve Mercer
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

CaptenJack,Dewmercer,have you resently checked your information?( i am just wondering)
jedidiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jedidiver »

CaptnJack wrote:Computer or bottom timer on the wrist and a seperate spg is the "way to go" IMO. I am not a fan of consoles at all. They are big, drag in the silt, and its hard to read your depth on them while venting your BC or drysuit.

smart dad

I am not a fan of bulky things.And if there so hard to read,it doesn't make sence to pay the extra money for an air-intrigated computer.