Info for the newer diver

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Info for the newer diver

Post by Norris »

Hello and welcome to diving. As you leave OW class with pretty much only the knowledge how to not make yourself dead you will have many questions. Additionally you will now be determined to purchase all your own gear so that you can dive without the need to depend on an LDS for rental.
There are thousands of people that have done the same as you and had many of the same questions, these will have been answered thousands of times. With many different people comes many different "reasons" that people dive. Some people dive as another way to explore life and its surroundings. Some people want to pursue photography/video. Some people are more interested to explore what only a small percentage of divers get to, like caves and deep wrecks that may require 3 hours of deco for a 15 minute bottom time. Others just have no hobbies and decided its time to try something new, meet people and socialize.
Whatever the reason you chose, please understand that any SCUBA question will have many different views. The photographers might have their reason to do things that maybe a GUE or DIR diver might not and vice versa. I write this only to maybe pursuade you to actually use the Search window near the top of our site when you have a question. By referencing past conversations on many topics we can keep from picking scabs off the old wounds. As I stated earlier divers have their way of doing things and many of us are passionate as to why we chose them.
In closing I would also ask that you use Google to search some of your questions and 9 times out of 10 someone has already had the question and there has already been a long winded discussion about it. I particularily like to help people, but at the same time I am bias on what I have chosen so sure I'll tell you why I dive what I dive but do your own research as you may find what I do, may not work for you.

Some Google Suggestions

BC or WING
What is DIR
What is GUE
What is PADI
What is NAUI
Steel or Aluminum tanks
SCUBA Compressors
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Info for the newer diver

Post by CaptnJack »

Party pooper :queenliz:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

CaptnJack wrote:Party pooper :queenliz:
LOL

:tomatoe:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Actually we have a long tradition here of not saying "use the search function" to address people's questions. Not saying its the most effective or efficient, but most of us do try to give personalized answers. :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Actually we have a long tradition here of not saying "use the search function" to address people's questions. Not saying its the most effective or efficient, but most of us do try to give personalized answers. :)
And personalized insults, where appropriate. :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Actually we have a long tradition here of not saying "use the search function" to address people's questions. Not saying its the most effective or efficient, but most of us do try to give personalized answers. :)
And personalized insults, where appropriate. :)
Just for you boss :)
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I am NOT trying to hijack, but it seems that there is something missing from Norris' posts.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Norris wrote: The photographers might have their reason to do things that maybe a GUE or DIR diver might not and vice versa.
What about the photographers that ARE DIR/GUE divers <grin>

and why does there even have to be the delineation? Divers! We are all Divers!

re: using the search function...

Things change. I'll use 'DIR' as an example. GUE has changed dramatically over the past decade, and i'm not just talking pocket contents.... If someone does a search for GUE/DIR, they may stumble into a rats nest of GI3 diatribe, some horrifying online debate, or some other nonsense that is sadly a part of our past and sometimes still a part of our present.

In addition, I'd prefer that someone just asked their question here and gets a reasonably fresh <albeit evangelistic at times> answer to whatever question it is they have, that is also relevant to their local diving needs. Diving out here can be a bit... different. ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Is it not these personalized answers that start the sh*t storms in the first place? I mean if people actually used some resources that are available we could avoid the disagreements and also avoid placing the newer diver in the position of having to defend themselves, or feeling as though they opened a can. I mean shoot why re-invent the wheel and just go read an argument that already happened.
I have seen this happen where someone newer comes in, asks a question, and then start a huge debate and then that is the last time they post. I did the same thing when I started and then when I realized how many different options there are for just about everything "SCUBA" I started reading up on everything. So generally speaking there are many answers to single questions, and thus each time they are asked you create an environment for arguing and heated debate.

Mind you I am not responding out of spite, I truly am interested.

:boucegreen:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

ljjames wrote:
Norris wrote: The photographers might have their reason to do things that maybe a GUE or DIR diver might not and vice versa.

Really?

Poor choice of context above to bring light to my topic. <grin>

Please define delineation?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote:Is it not these personalized answers that start the sh*t storms in the first place? I mean if people actually used some resources that are available we could avoid the disagreements and also avoid placing the newer diver in the position of having to defend themselves, or feeling as though they opened a can. I mean shoot why re-invent the wheel and just go read an argument that already happened.
I have seen this happen where someone newer comes in, asks a question, and then start a huge debate and then that is the last time they post. I did the same thing when I started and then when I realized how many different options there are for just about everything "SCUBA" I started reading up on everything. So generally speaking there are many answers to single questions, and thus each time they are asked you create an environment for arguing and heated debate.

Mind you I am not responding out of spite, I truly am interested.

:boucegreen:
Did you JUST NOW get the internets or what Rick? :smt064

Actually I would refer people to other threads if I could but I'm not so savy with the search function here. And everything ends up hijacked anyway and 3x longer than the mere question would take anyway so talk away
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

delineation |diˈlinēˌāSHən| noun
1 the action of describing or portraying something precisely:
2 the action of indicating the exact position of a border or boundary.

Norris wrote:
ljjames wrote:

Really?

Poor choice of context above to bring light to my topic. <grin>

Please define delineation?
----
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CaptnJack wrote: Did you JUST NOW get the internets or what Rick? :smt064

Actually I would refer people to other threads if I could but I'm not so savy with the search function here. And everything ends up hijacked anyway and 3x longer than the mere question would take anyway so talk away
:)

pretty much spot on...
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Crazy dictionary you got LLJ, but fixed ;)
ljjames wrote:delineate |diˈlinēˌāSHən| verb
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

ljjames wrote:delineation |diˈlinēˌāSHən| noun
nice

ok well my post is for anyone that wants to heed it...

carry on...

<SMILE>

:grouphug:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CaptnJack wrote:Crazy dictionary you got LLJ, but fixed ;)
ljjames wrote:delineate |diˈlinēˌāSHən| verb

damn mac's ;) thanks richard <grin>
----
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Norris wrote:Is it not these personalized answers that start the sh*t storms in the first place?
No, intolerance is what starts the sh*t storms, and it's been flying both ways.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
Norris wrote:Is it not these personalized answers that start the sh*t storms in the first place?
No, intolerance is what starts the sh*t storms, and it's been flying both ways.

Ben
Yer gonna die!!!!

(someday, after you are old and worn out)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Magoi wrote:I am NOT trying to hijack, but it seems that there is something missing from Norris' posts.
:taco: Please tell me what is missing :taco:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My goodness, we can wrangle about ANYTHING. And it isn't even formally winter yet . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I guess it was the computer I was using. It appeared that you were not trying to give a damn. On my home computer I see that you are, indeed, trying.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Magoi wrote:
I guess it was the computer I was using. It appeared that you were not trying to give a damn. On my home computer I see that you are, indeed, trying.
That was the new sarcasm font you missed
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

In a way I miss the pnw, although testosterone driven on winter months, if you ask something you get at least 3/4 useful 1/16 done it this way and always do it this way, 1/16 dumb, 1/8 beer driven and 3/7 bull crap and highjacking responses.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dashrynn wrote:In a way I miss the pnw, although testosterone driven on winter months, if you ask something you get at least 3/4 useful 1/16 done it this way and always do it this way, 1/16 dumb, 1/8 beer driven and 3/7 bull crap and highjacking responses.
I think your 3/7 bulll crap and hijacked responses is just bull crap and you totally just made that up...

clearly, the math dont lie.. 3/4 + 1/16 + 1/16 + 1/8 = 1

so there.. no space for 3/7 bull crap or hijacked responses.. :neener:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

kdupreez wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:In a way I miss the pnw, although testosterone driven on winter months, if you ask something you get at least 3/4 useful 1/16 done it this way and always do it this way, 1/16 dumb, 1/8 beer driven and 3/7 bull crap and highjacking responses.
I think your 3/7 bulll crap and hijacked responses is just bull crap and you totally just made that up.

clearly, the math dont lie.. 3/4 + 1/16 + 1/16 + 1/8 = 1

so there.. no space for 3/7 bull crap or hijacked responses.. :neener:
Haha that's another pie after the main course has been served :burntchef: (for those who are trying to get it. 3/7 is a number that doesn't fit in, just like bs and highjacked responses aren't part of the solution just fun, plus its big in which we do a lot of joking around here)