What Kind of Fish is This?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

What Kind of Fish is This?

Post by BillyD »

Hi guys. I am still learning the marine life around here, and was wondering if someone could id this fishy for me. He is at 0:34 and 2:45, defending his eggs in Cove 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298K8493 ... ature=plcp[/youtube]

Thanks!
Plan the dive, dive the plan. Unless you see something really cool...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: What Kind of Fish is This?

Post by Sounder »

Lingcod, member of the Greenling family. Commonly aggressive when the males are protecting the eggs. Cabezon are even more aggressive - they're, appropriately so, the "big headed fish" with "frillies" as quasi "horns." Stay away from "styrofoam" this time of year!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

Sounder wrote:Lingcod, member of the Greenling family. Commonly aggressive when the males are protecting the eggs. Cabezon are even more aggressive - they're, appropriately so, the "big headed fish" with "frillies" as quasi "horns." Stay away from "styrofoam" this time of year!
Thanks Sounder, but not the lingcod. It's a small fish blending in with the background, and its eggs are a few inches in front of it. It's at around 0:34 in the video.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Actually, if you check the time stamps he referenced, I believe he's asking about the Buffalo Sculpin. And I don't believe that's an egg mass in front of it.
Kelly
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

ktb wrote:Actually, if you check the time stamps he referenced, I believe he's asking about the Buffalo Sculpin. And I don't believe that's an egg mass in front of it.
Buffalo Sculpin hey? Sweet! Why don't you believe it's an egg mass in front of it?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

At 0:34, Thats Red Irish Lord AFAIK..

(Courtesy GratefulDiver Bob for this pic linked to his site..)

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi BillyD,

I'm no expert but that fish looks to me to be a Red Irish Lord. The eyes appear larger and wider set than a Buffalo Sculpin; also the snout looks a bit longer and more tapered. Finally, according to Andy Lamb, this is a little early in the season for a Buff to be guarding eggs but it's just about perfect timing for a RIL.

Protectively yours,

Alex
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

kdupreez wrote:At 0:34, Thats Red Irish Lord AFAIK..
#-o
Koos, You are correct. But it still doesn't look like eggs to me . . .
Kelly
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I agree; it looks like some type of sponge rather than eggs. That's also a red irish lord that is being eaten by the seastar later in the video.
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

Greg Jensen wrote:I agree; it looks like some type of sponge rather than eggs. That's also a red irish lord that is being eaten by the seastar later in the video.
- This was my next question, excellent forsight :laugh:

:notworthy: Thanks Alex, Koos, and Greg, Red Irish Lord looks about right. It's kind of hard to see in the video, but I was pretty sure they were eggs when I saw them. I have seen cabezon's and greenling's eggs, these were much smaller but somewhat similar.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Cool video. I almost soiled my drysuit this morning when I was poking around at 20 ft and found my face about 20" from a shifty-eyed, mean, old ling. I used the force to keep him from biting my face.
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

diverden wrote:Cool video. I almost soiled my drysuit this morning when I was poking around at 20 ft and found my face about 20" from a shifty-eyed, mean, old ling. I used the force to keep him from biting my face.
Mind-over-Ling is a powerful tool. :pirate:

The ling from this video was funny. I was filming the sunstar and he swam right up to me and and just parked right there, pretty much right on top the sunstar, eyeballing me. I love their shifty eyes. :der:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

When Ling do that it is generally egg laying time. I've had more than one cool dive in the past where I was like "Holy crap, he just came up and posed! Sweet!" He was actually warning me away from the egg masses he was guarding and was preparing to clean my clock if I so much as twitched! :)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Actually, I suspect that IS an egg mass in front of that RIL at 34 seconds in. It's the right size, shape and color, and he seems very interested in it. It looks similar to a mass that we came upon a couple of years ago; when my daughter got too close to it, the RIL actually swam up and bit her hand. Hard to do any damage without teeth, but he gave it his best shot.

Anyway, one vote for "yes, that's a mass of eggs."
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Kind of hard to tell but I don't think they don't look like eggs to me. The other RIL egg masses I've seen have looked similar to Greenling eggs but in all sorts of cool colors.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

WylerBear wrote:Kind of hard to tell but I don't think they don't look like eggs to me. The other RIL egg masses I've seen have looked similar to Greenling eggs but in all sorts of cool colors.
All the ones I've seen were yellow like this, but I certainly won't go to the stake for the identification.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I've been known to be wrong, too. :)
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option