Tuesday Shallow Wreck Dive Anyone? (Seattle Area)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
shaggie
Avid Diver

Re: Tuesday Shallow Wreck Dive Anyone? (Seattle Area)

Post by shaggie »

"I was reading about a dive in Des Moines call the Des Moines Wreck (Imagine That) that I am interested in diving. But you have to lug your gear a bit and down some tall stairs"

You might want to walk the trail at Marine View park once before you bring your gear down. Also, I've heard there's not much left of that wreck.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Only one way to fin out... Plan a expedition lol...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

shaggie wrote:"I was reading about a dive in Des Moines call the Des Moines Wreck (Imagine That) that I am interested in diving. But you have to lug your gear a bit and down some tall stairs"

You might want to walk the trail at Marine View park once before you bring your gear down. Also, I've heard there's not much left of that wreck.
The cabin cruiser is not a shore dive. Its not really a shore scooter dive even. I think the swim is probably roughly the same as the Tolmie State Park Barges but there is current too which will blow you off course. And boats, enough that swimming on the surface for this distance is foolhardy.

There's a fair amount of wreck there. But it has very little historical interest.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Just shore dived it today with my old man... Hell of a great adventure... Not for the weak hearted but its not mission impossible... Wont be rushing to do it again for sometime tho :nutty:

CaptnJack wrote:
shaggie wrote:"I was reading about a dive in Des Moines call the Des Moines Wreck (Imagine That) that I am interested in diving. But you have to lug your gear a bit and down some tall stairs"

The cabin cruiser is not a shore dive. Its not really a shore scooter dive even. I think the swim is probably roughly the same as the Tolmie State Park Barges but there is current too which will blow you off course. And boats, enough that swimming on the surface for this distance is foolhardy.

There's a fair amount of wreck there. But it has very little historical interest.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

hehe I don't think the Tolmie barges are shore dives either. Had enough "character building"

There's the wreck of the Boss if you come over to Bainbridge. That's shore divable but the entry is rocky and somewhat sucky. I don't get why people want to sink an artificial wreck so bad, we got tons of them already and most aren't being dove much.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Just shore dived it today with my old man... Hell of a great adventure... Not for the weak hearted but its not mission impossible... Wont be rushing to do it again for sometime tho :nutty:

CaptnJack wrote:

Way to go bro! Glad you had a great adventure and made it back to tell the tale!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lets plan it out man, its only a quick ferry ride over for me! Mateo get in on this!

CaptnJack wrote:hehe I don't think the Tolmie barges are shore dives either. Had enough "character building"

There's the wreck of the Boss if you come over to Bainbridge. That's shore divable but the entry is rocky and somewhat sucky. I don't get why people want to sink an artificial wreck so bad, we got tons of them already and most aren't being dove much.
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The numbers are in Scott Boyd's book. Right here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=47.59108, ... oc=A&hl=en

There are various iffy places to get down to the water from Country Club road. You'll need a GPS to get the heading out there from your exact entry. Sometimes there's a buoy on it but you'll still need the GPS to make sure your aiming at the correct one, there are other privare mooring buoys around too which would be a waste of your time.

depth about 50fsw
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

What days/afternoons are best for you?

CaptnJack wrote:The numbers are in Scott Boyd's book. Right here:

There are various iffy places to get down to the water from Country Club road. You'll need a GPS to get the heading out there from your exact entry. Sometimes there's a buoy on it but you'll still need the GPS to make sure your aiming at the correct one, there are other privare mooring buoys around too which would be a waste of your time.

depth about 50fsw
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scubnewb wrote:What days/afternoons are best for you?

depth about 50fsw
Sorry chief I'm dry until at least February.

Besides I could dive the Boss way faster out of my boat than it would take me to drive around through Bremerton-Poulsbo-Winslow. And then swim? :nutty: If you're gung ho for all these wrecks from shore you really need a scooter :smt064
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lol not gun ho just dont have a boat at this time so i got to make do till I get another one. I hae usually had my wn boat since i was 17 but living in the city that can be tricky sometimes so I sold my last one. Almost bought a new one recently, a 28 foot Bayliner Sunbridge and was gonna moore it on lake union but I decided not to pick it up... Still searching but leaning towards a sail boat anyhow... I am gun ho to dive, any way I can tho lol....

CaptnJack wrote:
scubnewb wrote:What days/afternoons are best for you?

depth about 50fsw
Sorry chief I'm dry until at least February.

Besides I could dive the Boss way faster out of my boat than it would take me to drive around through Bremerton-Poulsbo-Winslow. And then swim? :nutty: If you're gung ho for all these wrecks from shore you really need a scooter :smt064
-Confucius
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I've hiked from the parking lot there before to gauge the effort required to do that dive from shore. Haven't found anyone crazy enough to try it.

In MX right now. I might be crazy enough sometime after I get back, but I think just diving in the cold water again is going to look plenty crazy for me for a bit.

Would want to plan that one fairly carefully around currents. Not sure about the distance kicking and gas in singles, either, but as long as you've got a safe dive plan the worst thing that happens is that you don't find your target.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

I am not up for anything like this until I get back from Bonaire on the 28th of January. I am probably going to do Titlow with Jeremy this Saturday but that's it before I leave.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I highly recommend diving harper's ferry fishing pier for a good intermediate/easy "wreck" site. the Barbara G was a 60 foot wooden fishing troller, and is never any deeper than 45/55 fsw depending on the tide. Once I am fully recovered from my surgery, I would love to guide you around the site if you've never been. this link is a (long and unedited) video of the last dive I did there using a GoPro HD 2 (with the blurry factory housing).

http://youtu.be/MunLe10pK48
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Gonna check it out now... where are you located? How much longer till your recovered?
SeanKylgod wrote:I highly recommend diving harper's ferry fishing pier for a good intermediate/easy "wreck" site. the Barbara G was a 60 foot wooden fishing troller, and is never any deeper than 45/55 fsw depending on the tide. Once I am fully recovered from my surgery, I would love to guide you around the site if you've never been. this link is a (long and unedited) video of the last dive I did there using a GoPro HD 2 (with the blurry factory housing).

-Confucius
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

scubnewb wrote:Gonna check it out now... where are you located? How much longer till your recovered?
SeanKylgod wrote:I highly recommend diving harper's ferry fishing pier for a good intermediate/easy "wreck" site. the Barbara G was a 60 foot wooden fishing troller, and is never any deeper than 45/55 fsw depending on the tide. Once I am fully recovered from my surgery, I would love to guide you around the site if you've never been. this link is a (long and unedited) video of the last dive I did there using a GoPro HD 2 (with the blurry factory housing).

I would say another week or so and I might* be able to get into the water again. I'm located in Silverdale
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Sounds good let me know!
SeanKylgod wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Gonna check it out now... where are you located? How much longer till your recovered?

I would say another week or so and I might* be able to get into the water again. I'm located in Silverdale
-Confucius
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

will do!
ZachSD
Avid Diver

Post by ZachSD »

Yo phil let me know when you hit up Harpers...
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lets just plan on it soon as this cat gets healthy bro... Until then whats good with Mon, Tues or Wed?
ZachSD wrote:Yo phil let me know when you hit up Harpers...
-Confucius