Really bad news for Seattle divers

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Really bad news for Seattle divers

Post by dwashbur »

I noticed in both written decisions that they said ACF omitted some crucial financial information, and possibly something else I can't remember. If someone can help them redo their proposal the way the Powers That Be want it, that would probably help the case a lot. Just thinking out loud.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Sadly that time is mostly past, but we will have 3 min (and up to 10) to speak to the council.... some financial information was all that was omitted and that was because the owner thought they (Parks and Recreation) already had it from some previous recent application... I do not know all the details on that.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I was reading some earlier posts about the parking there and can anyone suggest or have they suggested doing the same as the paid parking at Redondo? The city would make money and if you stay past your limit I know Redondo hits you with a $20 fine. (to include those who try not to pay) Although there is some leniency in the winter as they don't have anyone there like they do during boating season. Now it kind of deters someone from wanting to eat there cause they have to pay a fee to park so that is the only negative I can think of for a paid parking lot.
Jeff Castor
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

2 hour Limit, no problem, just move your car during the S.I., to a different parking spot in the same lot.
Funy how this thread became, all about parking.
:popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

BASSMAN wrote:2 hour Limit, no problem, just move your car during the S.I., to a different parking spot in the same lot.
Funy how this thread became, all about parking.
:popcorn:
Moving may no longer work. The City now uses a license plate photo + GPS time stamp. Believe it or not you actually get a HIGHER fine by moving your vehicle to try to avoid getting an overtime ticket.
Yes, I got one, it's true. I did not get it at Cove 2 (Upper U. Dist.) but it is my understanding this technology is being more extensively available.

Parking for most recreational activities is almost a major issue, sometimes THE major issue.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

fmerkel wrote: Moving may no longer work. The City now uses a license plate photo + GPS time stamp. Believe it or not you actually get a HIGHER fine by moving your vehicle to try to avoid getting an overtime ticket.
So if you park for 5 minutes to load/unload something and they happen to snap a pic, then you go off and come back 2 hours later and you park in another spot for 5 minutes to load/unload you can nailed for some overtime + general naughtiness fine?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

lamont wrote:
fmerkel wrote: Moving may no longer work. The City now uses a license plate photo + GPS time stamp. Believe it or not you actually get a HIGHER fine by moving your vehicle to try to avoid getting an overtime ticket.
So if you park for 5 minutes to load/unload something and they happen to snap a pic, then you go off and come back 2 hours later and you park in another spot for 5 minutes to load/unload you can nailed for some overtime + general naughtiness fine?

yup, you can probably contest it, but there was a traffic police lady marking tires last week and i asked her exactly that.. what if i was here in the morning for 1hr and cam back in the afternoon..

she said it will count as 1 long stay and they would consider you only moving your car to circumvent the law and thats an even bigger fine (or so she said).. :nutty:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The extra penalty is only a few bucks more. I think it's priced just about exactly at the high irritation level but below what you are willing to do to contest it. We were in a REEF class, broke for lunch, did musical cars, and came back after the class to find collective tickets for trying to avoid a ticket. A whole new level of urban bother.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

fmerkel wrote:The extra penalty is only a few bucks more. I think it's priced just about exactly at the high irritation level but below what you are willing to do to contest it. We were in a REEF class, broke for lunch, did musical cars, and came back after the class to find collective tickets for trying to avoid a ticket. A whole new level of urban bother.
Urban fund-raising, you mean ... it's yet another way the City is trying to alleviate it's bad spending habits off the backs of honest citizens.

If parking gets to be too much of an issue at Cove 2, I'll simply stop going there. Seems like what the City really wants is to drive more people out of the City anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

When I arrived for a dive on 12/30, there were two parking enforcement vehicles in the lot (taking up spaces) and a third on the street. I'm hoping they were just taking a break in the restaurant, but . . .
Kelly
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

the folks at ACF (who are there daily) kinda feel like they are there very specifically since the potential change of ownership was brought to light. I guess they are maybe even hassling them?
----
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

I have an update. I heard that the new owners came by with a posse of about 20 people. They did the walk through to scope out the place.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

ugh.. that must have sucked for Yvonne... i know she was not looking forward to it as is, they kept rescheduling with weather and stuff. Do not have the exact date for the city council meeting that we need to swarm...

<sad>
----
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

So don't hate me . . .

I had never heard of Marination before this thread, but when I checked out their menu online, I was intrigued. I stopped by the brick and mortar location in December for lunch and . . . I fell in love. So much so that I even served their kalua pork sliders at my island-themed birthday party this month.

I am HUGE fan of Yvonne and I’m sorry to see Alki Fish and Crab go (I even signed the petition), but I’m also excited about Marination. I had a great discussion with one of their managers, Michelle, and I told her that I was a local diver who frequents Cove 2. She confirmed that during the RFP process, the city gave them impression that all the applicants were new vendors, not the existing business. I mentioned that one concern we had (as a diving community) was the AED, and she saw no reason why they wouldn’t work with us on keeping the AED safe but accessible. She said they are very committed to working with the local community—especially us divers!—and look forward to hearing any concerns or comments we have regarding their upcoming operations at Cove 2.

If nothing else, I think the petition showed them that we are a strong, vocal group and they can’t ignore us. So other than the AED, is there anything else we consider VITALLY important to Cove 2 you would like me to mention? She said, "We are still a long way off from finalizing Seacrest, but I would like to keep you as a contact as we move forward. As concerns arise, please feel free to let us know!" I am happy to gather feedback/comments/concerns and pass them along.

Thanks!
Kelly
cofford
Aquaphile

Really bad news for Seattle divers

Post by cofford »

+1. I really like Yvonne too, but Marination rocks.