Worthington 130 Tank Swap

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Worthington 130 Tank Swap

Post by dsteding »

So, here is the deal:

I have two Worthington X8-130s, both recent hydros (like last May and August). O2 clean, perfect tanks. Problem is that one is a half inch taller than the other, and I'm thinking of taking them and doubling them up (I have 119s doubled up right now and like those better as single tanks, hence the swap).

If anyone has a Worthington 130 of similar vintage, I may be interested in swapping with you to get two that are the same height. I'd make it worth anyone's while (read wine, beer, food, cash, something to make the deal happen).

PM me if you're willing to help out.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I have a 130 - I'll be @ Les Davis Saturday morning diving.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

bnboly wrote:I have a 130 - I'll be @ Les Davis Saturday morning diving.
Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. I can't make it down to Les Davis on Saturday, but if things don't shape up locally I'll happily meet you down there in the future.

-Doug
RDW
Aquaphile

X8-130's

Post by RDW »

I'm curious:
How is it that both of these tanks are that much different in length?
A 1/2" is a lot of difference when it comes to producing tanks. The series didn't hit the market (after some TC/DOT delays) until Fall of 2005.
You say one has an original hydro of May 2006 and the other is August 2006? I wonder is there was a manufacturing mod to the neck length after the initial release batch? Do you have any info on that?
I prefer the X8-130 as doubles to the HP120's. For me, I have found the balance to be more to my liking. I also don't mind D119's. To each their own. Not everyone works well in the same size tanks. (Actually, I really rather would dive my Meg CCR)

I'm just curious because I hadn't heard about any length issues with the Worthington tanks. Youse Learn sumpin' everyday.
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Let me know if the other one doesn't work out.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: X8-130's

Post by dsteding »

RDW wrote:I'm curious:
How is it that both of these tanks are that much different in length?
A 1/2" is a lot of difference when it comes to producing tanks. .
Apparently this is pretty common with the 130s Worthington is producing, their tolerances for height are +/- a few percent. I think diameter is more spot on, and this has more to do with the crown shape than overall tank height. I've actually heard of people having this issue.

Worthington/XS Scuba/Sea Peals is aware of it. If you order two tanks at the same time they'll make sure they are matched if you request it. I didn't intend on using 130s as doubles when I bought these tanks (and I bought them a few months apart) so it wasn't a big deal at the time.

Sounder: I haven't connected on the other option, maybe it makes sense to compare 130s when they are both at NWSD? I'll make it worth your while.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

dsteding wrote:Sounder: I haven't connected on the other option, maybe it makes sense to compare 130s when they are both at NWSD? I'll make it worth your while.
Oh yeah?! Don't be stealing my tanks just yet buddy! [-X Actually I DO need a Scuba Pro Mk20/G500 serviced and converted to DIN to put on my new 40cu' brushed aluminum pony/deco bottle!

Let's talk. I may be looking to twin mine up too, but I'm sure we can work something out for us both. Let me talk to the Mrs. about my twinning plans too... it might be waiting until I complete the MBA in which case I won't need them for a while.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder wrote:
Let's talk. I may be looking to twin mine up too, but I'm sure we can work something out for us both. Let me talk to the Mrs. about my twinning plans too... it might be waiting until I complete the MBA in which case I won't need them for a while.
I won't jump until a satisfactory deal is worked out. Do your tanks match, or do you have the same issue?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Unfortunately, mine match. I ordered them together. I do have a pair of HP80s coming in soon though - you would twin THEM up in exchange for your 130s!!! :bootyshake: Mrs. Sounder would kill me. She wanted 2 HP80s so she doesn't have to carry as much weight. If I came home with more 130s instead of her 80s, I'd be calling Diver C and Bubble Maker. :pale:

I'm rapidly becoming a bonified "bottle collector" (though I don't hold a candle to several people here!:prayer: ) - two HP130s, two HP100s, two HP80s, one LP80, one Al40, one 13cu', one 6cu', and an emergency medical O2 "E" bottle w/reg! \:D/

We'll work something out - let's talk. Truth be told, when/if I twin them, I'll probably just buy 2 new ones so I can keep the others as singles and have "the same tank" with respect to size, hydro, vis, etc. :salute: