Salt Creek

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Salt Creek

Post by doublesunder »

Has anyone recently dove Salt Creek and what were conditions.? Thanks.....
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Salt Creek

Post by CaptnJack »

Most people don't drive out there to dive in winter, any swell at all creates way too much surge.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Thanks for the heads up. We were planning a dive there and maybe a dive or two at Cresent after. I haven't ever been up there so didn't know conditions this time year. We are coming up from portland for the weekend, but sounds like we need to divert to another dive site. Any suggestions around that area? Thanks again.....
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Are you going out to the Olympic Peninsula and looking for a place to dive while you're there? Or going north anywhere specifically to dive? (It makes a difference in recommendations...)

On the Peninsula...

Lake Crescent is always a great place to dive. Not much life, but beautifully clear, deep water. I recommend Bovee's Meadow near the lodge. Turnouts along the shore road may also be excellent dives.

Point Hudson in Port Townsend is fantastic but highly current dependent. Likewise, nearby Fort Worden is also pretty good but you have to catch it at slack.

Ediz Hook in Port Angeles is almost always 'doable' although not necessarily spectacular. Still, I don't think it's current dependent.

For a bit more adventure, Keystone Jetty on Whidbey Island is great (but also current sensitive). There's been some dredging there lately and construction commotion at the dive beach, so check with other NWDC members about its status right now.

On the way north or south you can stop at Sund Rock in Hood Canal. Highly recommended any time of the year.

Hope that helps!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

doublesunder wrote:Thanks for the heads up. We were planning a dive there and maybe a dive or two at Cresent after. I haven't ever been up there so didn't know conditions this time year. We are coming up from portland for the weekend, but sounds like we need to divert to another dive site. Any suggestions around that area? Thanks again.....
Its a May-September kinda dive. Maybe April and October if the weather has been stable and looks to remain so.
Its one of the few places in "Puget Sound" with downright dangerous surge. In the water its not so bad but the exit could tumble and actually kill you. Its a super fun dive, just not for wintertime unless you live in Port Angeles or something and can bop down the road and check it out with no hassles.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:
doublesunder wrote:Thanks for the heads up. We were planning a dive there and maybe a dive or two at Cresent after. I haven't ever been up there so didn't know conditions this time year. We are coming up from portland for the weekend, but sounds like we need to divert to another dive site. Any suggestions around that area? Thanks again.....
Its a May-September kinda dive. Maybe April and October if the weather has been stable and looks to remain so.
Its one of the few places in "Puget Sound" with downright dangerous surge. In the water its not so bad but the exit could tumble and actually kill you. Its a super fun dive, just not for wintertime unless you live in Port Angeles or something and can bop down the road and check it out with no hassles.
I'd avoid most April/October times, likely surge during both months. April can be bad vis with winter runoff.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Thanks everyone for all the information, we decided to stay a little lower in the Sound and wait for summer.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

For what it's worth - we did this trip last year, during the last weekend in May. Two dives at Salt Creek, followed by one at Crescent (perfect for rinsing off the gear) on the south side of the lake at one of the turnouts right before the stone bridge - there's a beautiful, deep rock wall right there. We had an absolutely fantastic time.