Big Island Dive Suggestions 3/10 - 3/18

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
bfann
Avid Diver

Post by bfann »

I'm going to be on Hawaii for the first time in March and am looking forward to some warm water diving. Most of the people I'm traveling with are not divers, so I think I'll probably only be diving 3-4 days plus a manta dive. I already know that I'll be diving with Kohala Divers for my boat dives since their shop is only a few minutes from where I'll be staying.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for shore dive sites on the Kohala Coast and/ or suggestions for dive sites I should ask to check out on the boat dives? Also, anyone else going to be on the island during the week of March 12th and want to dive?

Thanks!

Brian
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

PM Sockmonkey, he lives north of Kona and can give you lots of good info.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I just got back from the big island. I posted a write-up in the dive recaps section. There are links and recommendations there too. Feel free to PM me if you want more details, have fun!
onefish
Just Settling In

Re: Big Island Dive Suggestions 3/10 - 3/18

Post by onefish »

Look for 2 step known as Place of Refuge. It is popular site among divers and snorkelers. It is fairly easy dive to get in and out. Sometime you can spot Dolphins swimming around. If you are taking boat dive, make sure to watch for group of Dolphins, it is fantastic. Enjoy your trip.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Big Island Dive Suggestions 3/10 - 3/18

Post by BillZ »

Two Step is definately a must do and is on my top 10 list of best dives. Imagine hanging out in the blue water with 200 feet of visability as pods of dolphins buzz by and check you out. Also some of the worlds best competitive free divers train there and its cool to hang back and watch as they practice.
Last edited by BillZ on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Fyi, Two Step is about 2.5 hours south of the Kohala area.