Excellent Swimmer, Great Personality

General banter about diving and why we love it.
crowplus
Just Settling In

Excellent Swimmer, Great Personality

Post by crowplus »

FYI:
Fish may be smarter than you think. When stuck on an angler’s line, striped bass have been known to wrap the line around a rock to shear it when the fisherman reels it in. Octopi and squid have been taught to open jars. Now a BU biologist says our piscine friends don’t just have brains; they have personality.

http://www.bu.edu/bostonia/web/swimmer/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Excellent Swimmer, Great Personality

Post by CaptnJack »

Funny, some of the questions he's asking have been answered already maybe 20 years ago for terrestrial species. Most of the roaming behavior can come down to some form of density depedence. When food is plentiful its fine to sit on your anemone, when food is scarce its better to go looking for it predators be damned. Both traits are maintained in the population as during some periods site fidelity is selected for and at other times/years roaming boldness is selected for. Same thing arises with mating, when neighbors are common you don't need to go far from you anemone to find one. So you can imagine a high denisty of clownfish, easy mating opportunities but low food resources. So the mating and food variables actually work opposite one another when it comes to roaming behavior.
They are cute.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I don't know; by the time we finished our trip to Indonesia, everybody had been banged in the mask or bitten enough that we no longer thought the clownfish were cute. In fact, the unanimous verdict was that Nemo deserved the dentist's office.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

LCF wrote:I don't know; by the time we finished our trip to Indonesia, everybody had been banged in the mask or bitten enough that we no longer thought the clownfish were cute. In fact, the unanimous verdict was that Nemo deserved the dentist's office.
Ok, that's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. :rofl:
Kelly