Sparky,s new Dive Toy

General banter about diving and why we love it.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Sparky,s new Dive Toy

Post by sparky »

I am realy getting excited to try out my new Dry suit and this hot little number on my next dive.

I got tired of being jelious of all the grate pictures those of you with Digital camaras have been so grate to share with us
that I had to brake down and get one for my self now I am getting real excited for my next chance to dive

do any of you use this set up and if so how do you like it?
and if so please post a picture you have taken with it

I ordered this from Leisurepro last weekend it should be here soon

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

That's a beautiful rig! Tom will be envious when he reads this!

Hey Sparky - check what DAN gear insurance would cost to insure that little beauty. It's REAL cheap insurance to have if it floods.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

I have been using this set up for a year now and have been moderately happy with it. It is a great beginer camera setup and can take some great pictures. I have had some issues with it though. Some due to my lack of photography experience/knowledge and one was a harware problem which my local SeaLife Dealer took care of free of charge. All the photos on my flickr site were taken with this camera. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56805380@N00/

Mathue
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sounder wrote:That's a beautiful rig! Tom will be envious when he reads this!

Hey Sparky - check what DAN gear insurance would cost to insure that little beauty. It's REAL cheap insurance to have if it floods.
I plan on it im told its not a question of if your camara floods but more of a question of When?

I cant waite to get it im on a roll here dry suit new cam im all set all i need now is the chance to get wet

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I have the same camera Sparky, Its never flooded on me.
Who run barter town?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Congrats Sparkster! It is so much fun to take pictures! \:D/

Shoot lots and lots and lots. I think that's the best way to learn, and digital is of course tailor made for that. You'll soon figure out why a shot was crummy or why it was awesome, and start repeating the procedure to make them awesome or close more and more. Learn all you can, but have fun doing it! :book: \:D/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Seaslave wrote:I have been using this set up for a year now and have been moderately happy with it. It is a great beginer camera setup and can take some great pictures. I have had some issues with it though. Some due to my lack of photography experience/knowledge and one was a harware problem which my local SeaLife Dealer took care of free of charge. All the photos on my flickr site were taken with this camera. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56805380@N00/

Mathue
Nice pics Mat! I notice you have that dark spot in the lower left hand corner of some of your pics. Do you have the movable strobe arm pictured on this thread, and if you do, could you correct the dark spot?

I have a similar problem with my Olympus C770 ultrazoom. I bought it originally as a land camera, and particularly liked / wanted the 10x optical zoom. My kids bought me the Olympus underwater housing for it and I've had a blast taking pics. However, on my real closeups (which is most of my pics) the "nose" (because of the great zoom, fairly useless underwater) of the housing creates a shadow on the bottom 20% of the pic... highly annoying! :axe: I tried to correct it with an external flash for the housing, but I busted it on my trip to Sitka in October and never got to play with it. ](*,) That is one of the many things driving the train for my upcoming purchase of the Casio Cam that everyone seems excited about.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Most of the pics with the dark spot are without the strobe. When I us ethe strobe, they usually turn out better.

Mathue
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

thats the same camera i have. just be carefull with the external strobe, it could bend the frame it sits on and it'll flood the camera. i had to learn that the hard way! now my camera is and has been in the shop for damn near 2 weeks... :crybaby: still a nice camera though.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
TCarter
Avid Diver

Post by TCarter »

I was getting that dark spot in the corner of my shots too until I installed the flash diffuser that came with the housing. That fixed it right up, made the flash nice and even. I don't have a strobe.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Tom Nic wrote:I notice you have that dark spot in the lower left hand corner of some of your pics. Do you have the movable strobe arm pictured on this thread, and if you do, could you correct the dark spot?
The only way to correct that dark spot problem is with an external strobe. That interesting design choice was in the DC500, and continues through to the DC600. The dark spot in the SeaLife is caused by the lip of the lens housing. The lip is necessary so the wide angle lens will stay on. It seems to me if they had only moved the flash over 1/8", then no lip-dark spot problem. Pictures are better with a wide angle lens because you can get so much closer, but that lens requires an external strobe, so I guess the design choice is not that big of a deal, but still... Overall though, I think it is a great dive camera!

From today's current-infused dive at Day Island -

Gongrats Sparky! Have fun!

Rich
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

there's that young wolfie I FLEW past yesterday when it was SUPPOSED to be SLACK!!! #-o What a dive.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Well i think I would be real hapy if my pictures come out half as good as the ones Seaslave took

il have to post some on here when I get it and we can work out together what im doing wrong or right

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man