Wacky Wednesdays West dive (2/1)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Wacky Wednesdays West dive (2/1)

Post by dewmercer »

Yet again, it's time to toss away our worldly cares, to abandon our kids and/or partner(s) and to partake in communion with GPOs, Decorated War Bonnets, Stubby Squid and like minded worshipers. That is: It's time to dive!! Boogie, Woogie!!!

When: Wednesday, Feb 1 at 1830 (6:30 PM for you non army types)
Where: Cove 2, Alki
Why: Because Neptune demands it.

DAve
--
DAve Mercer
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Re: Wacky Wednesdays West dive (2/1)

Post by scubnewb »

See you there as long as life doesnt get in the way lol... I will be at least swinging by even if I cant dive (highly unlikely) as i need to drop serg's light off to him that I slipped away with last week after borrowing it lol..
dewmercer wrote:Yet again, it's time to toss away our worldly cares, to abandon our kids and/or partner(s) and to partake in communion with GPOs, Decorated War Bonnets, Stubby Squid and like minded worshipers. That is: It's time to dive!! Boogie, Woogie!!!

DAve
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Not uncommon. Nobody dives with their own hear it seems.

scubnewb wrote:See you there as long as life doesnt get in the way lol... I will be at least swinging by even if I cant dive (highly unlikely) as i need to drop serg's light off to him that I slipped away with last week after borrowing it lol..
dewmercer wrote:Yet again, it's time to toss away our worldly cares, to abandon our kids and/or partner(s) and to partake in communion with GPOs, Decorated War Bonnets, Stubby Squid and like minded worshipers. That is: It's time to dive!! Boogie, Woogie!!!

DAve
--
DAve Mercer
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

*might* make it. Depends on whether I get my reg back by then or not and how much the "parts" are going to cost..

I strongly suggest the nobody buy Cressi regs in the USA. NOBODY has parts for them >.<
dewmercer
Avid Diver

RE: Wacky Wednesdays West dive (2/1)

Post by dewmercer »

What do you need for regs? I might be able to help. Actually, I'm sure I can help.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

It looks like we've got a great group coming out. Best to get there early.

I'll be there early (5ish or earlier) and I might go for a pre TWEEK TWEEK.

I'm in a tan Subaru with a black ski box. Swing by when you see me at my car and say hi. I promise I won't out you on the board when I discover that any similarities between you and your profile are purely coincidental;-)

Boogie Woogie!!!

DAve
--
DAve Mercer
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Could possibly come out. And for the record, I have a spare reg and a spare spg that I always carry with me in case the need arises for them
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

dewmercer wrote:I promise I won't out you on the board when I discover that any similarities between you and your profile are purely coincidental;-)

Boogie Woogie!!!

DAve
Did I miss soemthing here? You know I'm planning on being there.
Kelly
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

SeanKylgod wrote:*might* make it. Depends on whether I get my reg back by then or not and how much the "parts" are going to cost..

I strongly suggest the nobody buy Cressi regs in the USA. NOBODY has parts for them >.<
Sean, I have a friend who is a Cressi Dealer in Ohio, and he has a fantastic relationship with his Cressi Rep, and the company in general. I don't know if there is a local guy, but if nothing else I can help you with parts, service, etc. My buddy is really good, and very willing to help.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

scubnewb wrote:See you there as long as life doesnt get in the way lol... I will be at least swinging by even if I cant dive (highly unlikely) as i need to drop serg's light off to him that I slipped away with last week after borrowing it lol..
Can you give it to DAve if I am not here ? I am a bit sick and not sure if I will recover by tomorrow.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Re: RE: Wacky Wednesdays West dive (2/1)

Post by SeanKylgod »

I need my reg to stop slowly and consistently leaking air. just a constant hissing. never does anything exciting like free-flow.. just wastes air.
dewmercer wrote:What do you need for regs? I might be able to help. Actually, I'm sure I can help.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

any help would be awesome.. I am not sure if my LDS will be able to fix it.. it slowly leaks (mind you, I am meticulous about cleaning my gear and this reg is no more than a couple of months old) and sometimes when i smack it (dont hate, it pisses me off) it will slow down/stop and other times it will just hiss louder at which point I switch from pre- to dive and just descend asap (I have faith in my octo/pony/buddy's regs/buddy's pony)
kitsapdiver wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:*might* make it. Depends on whether I get my reg back by then or not and how much the "parts" are going to cost..

Sean, I have a friend who is a Cressi Dealer in Ohio, and he has a fantastic relationship with his Cressi Rep, and the company in general. I don't know if there is a local guy, but if nothing else I can help you with parts, service, etc. My buddy is really good, and very willing to help.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

ultimately, my solution will be buying my coveted a700 or s600 with a MK17 or 25 1st with my tax return and finally owning a reg that has parts/rebuild kits readily available for it and sticking my stupid cressi on my pony or something >.<
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah no problem, I as well woke up a bit congested today, seems to be going around again.
chokolad wrote:
Can you give it to DAve if I am not here ? I am a bit sick and not sure if I will recover by tomorrow.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

SeanKylgod wrote:ultimately, my solution will be buying my coveted a700 or s600 with a MK17 or 25 1st with my tax return and finally owning a reg that has parts/rebuild kits readily available for it and sticking my stupid cressi on my pony or something >.<
Nothing like something leaky and unreliable on your emergency air supply... :smt064

I need to make it out to one of these Cove 2 dives eventually....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

what's life without whimsy?!

expensive.

that's what.

don't say u dare say "safe" >.<

:rofl:
Nwbrewer wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:ultimately, my solution will be buying my coveted a700 or s600 with a MK17 or 25 1st with my tax return and finally owning a reg that has parts/rebuild kits readily available for it and sticking my stupid cressi on my pony or something >.<
Nothing like something leaky and unreliable on your emergency air supply... :smt064

scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I have to give it up to jake on that one, I read right passed that and thought to myself... Hmm that doesnt seem right, oh well lol :rofl:

Nwbrewer wrote:

-Confucius
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Well unless he is solo diving, wreck penetrating, cave, or tech diving, leakage from the pony bottle isnt going to be a huge deal. Unless youre diving with a sob AND you run into an ooa situation...
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Dude both you guys need to make it out to cove 2 fora dive soon!
SeanKylgod wrote:what's life without whimsy?!

expensive.

that's what.

don't say u dare say "safe" >.<

:rofl:
Nwbrewer wrote:

-Confucius
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

in which case, my 11cf pony will just be an illusion of safety.. haha.
Mortuus wrote:Well unless he is solo diving, wreck penetrating, cave, or tech diving, leakage from the pony bottle isnt going to be a huge deal. Unless youre diving with a sob AND you run into an ooa situation...
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

***LIKE*** lol...
SeanKylgod wrote:in which case, my 11cf pony will just be an illusion of safety.. haha.
Mortuus wrote:Well unless he is solo diving, wreck penetrating, cave, or tech diving, leakage from the pony bottle isnt going to be a huge deal. Unless youre diving with a sob AND you run into an ooa situation...
-Confucius
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

SeanKylgod wrote:any help would be awesome.. I am not sure if my LDS will be able to fix it.. it slowly leaks (mind you, I am meticulous about cleaning my gear and this reg is no more than a couple of months old) and sometimes when i smack it (dont hate, it pisses me off) it will slow down/stop and other times it will just hiss louder at which point I switch from pre- to dive and just descend asap (I have faith in my octo/pony/buddy's regs/buddy's pony)
kitsapdiver wrote:

Sean, if your LDS can't fix that I suspect they aren't worth much. How long have you had the Reg? The second stage of regulators typically need to be tuned up after a couple 40-50 dives because the seating surface in the second stage develops a little bit of a wear pattern, and the adjustments to tighten it up a little are pretty universal and simple. I had the same problem when I got to florida for my cave class, and we were able to pop it off, tighten it up with a screw driver on location at the dive site, reinstall the regulator and dive.

It's not that I'm suggesting one who is trained would do this by themselves without guidance, but I wouldn't let a dive shop blow smoke up your butt. There are some that will do stuff like that in order to convine you that you need to buy brands they carry (some will claim it's liability if they work on brands they aren't technically certified for), but this fix is very simple very intuitive, and routine.

See the figure here http://www.apeks.co.uk/technical/techni ... %20Control. Piece 1 is a hard seating surface, and as it operates it creates a groove on the soft rubber (piece 2). After that groove is formed you have to go in and tighten down piece 1 an eigth of a turn or so. Very typical after 30-40 dives on a new reg.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

a screw? you yankin me? I'm an ASE certified mechanic and I thought all of this shiz would be completely alien or something. *looking at that thread now.

and I am buying an Apeks next, not a SP. I spent most of the day reading into them after I got a subtle suggestion from a little birdie and like what I have read for sure
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

if you're talking about the poppet valve adjustment (or venturi) screw, I dont have one of those >.<

I have dive and pre-dive with a BS vane that pretends like its really impeding my inhalations at all or preventing a free-flow

'0.o
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Might hit this one up. Not sure yet.

D