Hello

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
deepbluepdx
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello

Post by deepbluepdx »

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I am just a beginner and want to learn to free dive and learn more about abalone diving. I also have been meaning my whole life to scuba dive.

Any ladies out there have advice for getting a dry suit/wet suit combination?
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Re: Hello

Post by SeanKylgod »

welcome! I am sure Laura will be chiming in soon about dry/wetsuit advice =P

Myself and Dylan (Mortuus) are both getting into free-diving as a side sport to scuba. If you're not already OW certified, there are some fantastic instructors on this board who will be more than willing to help you out.. tho I see the "pdx" part of your name.. Does this imply that you're in Portland?

Hope to see ya in the water soon!

-Sean
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

deepbluepdx wrote:Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I am just a beginner and want to learn to free dive and learn more about abalone diving. I also have been meaning my whole life to scuba dive.

Hi

Did someone mention abalone!!!? :)

Welcome aboard... :partydance:
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
deepbluepdx
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by deepbluepdx »

I am a Portlander yes! Looking forward to "meeting" you all.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

deepbluepdx wrote:
You should talk with CIndy Ross aka girldiver, or Elisaboo
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
AB219
Aquaphile

Post by AB219 »

deepbluepdx wrote:Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I am just a beginner and want to learn to free dive and learn more about abalone diving. I also have been meaning my whole life to scuba dive.

If you are going free diving and maybe scuba diving in the waters up in the Northwest, I would look at the Mares Isotherm or the Scubapro Nova Scotia. Welcome aboard again!!!!! :pirate:
Let's Go Diving at:
A) Oregon coast
B) Fort Bragg California
C) Monterey California
D) Puget Sound Washington

"It's not about the dive, but the journey taken."
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Jeff Pack wrote:
deepbluepdx wrote:
You should talk with CIndy Ross aka girldiver, or Elisaboo
You know you've made it big when you're a name on NW Dive Club!!

But yes, I could talk your ear off about wetsuits and drysuits. But, I'd probably do both actually - a wetsuit for freediving, and a drysuit for scuba. But you can definitely get started in scuba around here pretty cheap by diving wet, I certainly did. Especially if you're going to start your certification in the spring, because you'll have all summer with good surface conditions (relative to winter anyway) that allow for wetsuit diving. Once fall and winter hit, all bets are off....

If you decide to go the wetsuit route, there's lots of layering options that will keep you toasty warm while in the water. I used to wear almost a solid inch of neoprene, but underwater was great! Now, the surface interval...that's another story :eek: I've since gone dry and never looked back, but diving wet is doable if you're committed. When you get to drysuits, go ahead and start another thread or PM me -- there are a ton of options out there, and it's all about narrowing it down to what works best for you! :highfive: (<--that is you playing nice with your exposure wear, because you love it!) ( :chrisnjoe: <--that's what it's like when you buy something that's cheap as dirt, but doesn't work for you...don't do it.)

Ok, I have a dive report to write....*wanders off*
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome to the club deep blue!
You've found the right place to start, right here on nwdc! You should be able to find out just about anything you want here and when your ready to dive, free or scuba, you should have no problems finding someone to dive with you.
I know nothing of abalone diving, but sure have fun just doing recreational dives, while taking pictures and sharing surface time with a great group of people around here.
Good luck with your future training!

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
HelgaFins
Getting To Know Folks

Post by HelgaFins »

Hi deepbluepdx

My dive buddy and I head to the N. California kelp beds for free diving to look at the sea critters in August. Send me a PM for more information. Welcome aboard.

Helga
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Hello and welcome.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!