How to attach a can light....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: How to attach a can light....

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:
BDub wrote:
What Jake said....now we just need to address over/under :smt064
Trying to start some sort of inter-agency war aren't you? I don't think the OP uses a long hose (yet)

Judging form recent history I assume we'll be seeing a post from Jeff in about a week stating that a long hose is dangerous, seems like a dangling mess and will strangle you, followed a few days later by a post asking about the best way to route his 7' hose. :rofl:
I've been waiting for that!!

I don't think I've ever seen someone route a cord over their shoulder, it would need to be a custom XXL length to do that I'd guess.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:On waist I'm still baffled on the donning sequence, etc.
Just go diving with nearly anyone using a canister light on this board, watch Bob next time you're with him etc.

The canister is on the right side of the waist strap, lighthead clipped to the right chest somewhere. Put your arms in and buckle up. Then put your light in your hand or tuck the cord if you're not going to use it immediately (don't turn it on out of the water it will melt - Trevor knows this from fir$t hand experience)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:On waist I'm still baffled on the donning sequence, etc.
Just go diving with nearly anyone using a canister light on this board, watch Bob next time you're with him etc.

The canister is on the right side of the waist strap, lighthead clipped to the right chest somewhere. Put your arms in and buckle up. Then put your light in your hand or tuck the cord if you're not going to use it immediately (don't turn it on out of the water it will melt - Trevor knows this from fir$t hand experience)
Jeff - I'll be diving with you and Scoobie Doo on Saturday, and can show you how I manage my bp/wing, can light, and semi-obnoxious camera setup. You dive a bp/wing now, right? It can seem a bit overwhelming, but I believe you'll be comfortable with it once you've had a chance to see it and try it out.

Mike
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
BDub wrote:
What Jake said....now we just need to address over/under :smt064
Trying to start some sort of inter-agency war aren't you? I don't think the OP uses a long hose (yet)

Judging form recent history I assume we'll be seeing a post from Jeff in about a week stating that a long hose is dangerous, seems like a dangling mess and will strangle you, followed a few days later by a post asking about the best way to route his 7' hose. :rofl:
I've been waiting for that!!

I don't think I've ever seen someone route a cord over their shoulder, it would need to be a custom XXL length to do that I'd guess.
I sent mine back to LM requesting a slightly longer cord ... to use with my sidemount rig. The cord when it came back is over 5 feet long ... !!!

I could wrap it around my waist ... with plenty of cord to spare ...

... gotta get somebody to help me shorten it back to what I had intended ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

[mpenders]

Jeff - I'll be diving with you and Scoobie Doo on Saturday, and can show you how I manage my bp/wing, can light, and semi-obnoxious camera setup. You dive a bp/wing now, right? It can seem a bit overwhelming, but I believe you'll be comfortable with it once you've had a chance to see it and try it out.

Mike[/quote]

Thx, I'll be there with my new 7 ft hose

Talking about obnoxious...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Jeff & scubanewb, take the shortcut to happiness and just drink the cool aid already. Everything will make sense. I'm not coming back until your glass is empty.

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Hmm very good points :koolaid: =D>

I am going out tonight to take the light out for its first dives :snorkel: , I will give the waist a try tonight , I got enough cord to switch back and forth from hands with it tank mounted without alot of cord to dangle or get causght on anything and I will be using a zip tie to keep the straps down at all times as i thought of them possible getting snagged and popping open even though that would take a bit of pressure it seems as they are pretty tight. :thumb3d:
CaptnJack wrote:
scubnewb wrote:I prefer putting it on the Cam band as the can is completely out of your way and I hate haveing to much junk hanging off me or tucked in here and there. I think it really is just about preference. When I attach my pony then I might switch that up but then again I might want to go with a sling for the pony and that would allow me not to have to move the can light. Unless I can figure a way to attach both to my tank LOL... :bored:
You still got crap hanging off you, its just outa sight...

Really, its better on the waist where you can baby it, follow the cord, see the cord, desnag the cord, actuate the switch and make sure the latches aren't getting snagged on something (like fishing line) and not only entangling you but springing a latch and ruining your battery and switch at a minimum. At worst the battery, switch, cord and parts of the lighthead are toast.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lmao... :rofl: as you posted this I was writing my last post thinking well if those arent just some great points captain looks like that koolaide is looking tasy lol...
airsix wrote:Jeff & scubanewb, take the shortcut to happiness and just drink the cool aid already. Everything will make sense. I'm not coming back until your glass is empty.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I knew I shoulda taken the blue pill

Maybe I'll strap it to the 7 ft hose and let it dangle below me so when r fish attack, they'll miss

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

scubnewb wrote:Lmao... :rofl: as you posted this I was writing my last post thinking well if those arent just some great points captain looks like that koolaide is looking tasy lol...
I have to tell you an abbreviated version of my story. I met CaptnJack 5 years ago as I was walking through the Edmunds parking lot all suited up for entry. I was right about exactly where you are in terms of experience and familiarity with the standard Pacific Northwest gear package. I had my drysuit, my can light, and my BP/W. I was pretty hot stuff and had it all set up just the way I wanted it because I'm brilliant and don't need anyone to tell me how to configure my stuff. Luckily a guardian angel mutual friend had told Richard I was interested in advancing my diving. He remembered. And right there in the parking lot the conversation basically went "Oh! You're Ben! Hi! Okay. Lets check this out. This hose is too short. This hose is way too long. That's upside down. You don't need one of these..." and my all time favorite "Hmmmm... I've never seen it done that way before.(I had my canister mounted to the edge of my backplate with a pair of quick links)" :rofl: My pride said "Well what does he know." but slowly, one item at a time I changed to what he had recommended. Each thing I changed turned out to be a positive. Pretty soon I was 100% cool aid compliant and I have to tell you there are no regrets. At some point you just have to ask yourself if the satisfaction of being non-conformist is worth the disadvantages of being sub-optimum. Now when people like Bdub, CaptnJack, or Grateful Diver give me advice I take it without reservation. And life is good.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lol yeah I have no problem changing things when things make sense lol... I am a DJ and have gone thru this al before as there are ways to do alot of things DJing that will make your life much easier :dj: . So I am always showing younger guys the ropes since I have been doing this for a long time. So when someone says well if you consdider this...... I usually will try it out, especially when its someone who been in "the game" alot longer then me. I am gonna go a head and blame it on Jake as he is the one who said to put it one my cam band when i borrowed his so thats where I started the idea from lol #-o
airsix wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Lmao... :rofl: as you posted this I was writing my last post thinking well if those arent just some great points captain looks like that koolaide is looking tasy lol...
I have to tell you an abbreviated version of my story. I met CaptnJack 5 years ago as I was walking through the Edmunds parking lot all suited up for entry. I was right about exactly where you are in terms of experience and familiarity with the standard Pacific Northwest gear package. I had my drysuit, my can light, and my BP/W. I was pretty hot stuff and had it all set up just the way I wanted it because I'm brilliant and don't need anyone to tell me how to configure my stuff. Luckily a guardian angel mutual friend had told Richard I was interested in advancing my diving. He remembered. And right there in the parking lot the conversation basically went "Oh! You're Ben! Hi! Okay. Lets check this out. This hose is too short. This hose is way too long. That's upside down. You don't need one of these..." and my all time favorite "Hmmmm... I've never seen it done that way before.(I had my canister mounted to the edge of my backplate with a pair of quick links)" :rofl: My pride said "Well what does he know." but slowly, one item at a time I changed to what he had recommended. Each thing I changed turned out to be a positive. Pretty soon I was 100% cool aid compliant and I have to tell you there are no regrets. At some point you just have to ask yourself if the satisfaction of being non-conformist is worth the disadvantages of being sub-optimum. Now when people like Bdub, CaptnJack, or Grateful Diver give me advice I take it without reservation. And life is good.

Ben
-Confucius
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Jeff Pack wrote:I knew I shoulda taken the blue pill

Maybe I'll strap it to the 7 ft hose and let it dangle below me so when r fish attack, they'll miss
Be very careful taking the "blue pill". Your dry suit might not fit on the crotch area next time you dive . :smt064
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Be careful taking the "blue pill". Your dry suit might not fit in the crotch area if you keep on taking the "bluueeeee pill". :smt064
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Bob and Dusty both said I can mount on my tank band, and thats good enough for me to at least try it out.

[sarcasm]I'll have to rearrange my 7ft hose though.[/sarcasm]

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

coulterboy wrote:

Be careful taking the "blue pill". Your dry suit might not fit in the crotch area if you keep on taking the "bluueeeee pill". :smt064
Especially if you have a 7ft hose...

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

wrong !!!! WRONG !!!! WRONG !!!
2 pages of the wrong information

This is the correct way to config your can light
2012-02-23_19-26-37_236.jpg
as pic 1 shows the proper way to mount the can .. this makes it very easy for all levels of diving , certs or not.. its very diver friendly
2012-02-23_19-27-53_142.jpg
this picture shows the easy access to the light switch.. under any type of skills , drills, and emergency episodes..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Now that's the way to do it. "DIR" all the way baby! :stir:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

H20doctor wrote:wrong !!!! WRONG !!!! WRONG !!!

as pic 1 shows the proper way to mount the can .. this makes it very easy for all levels of diving , certs or not.. its very diver friendly
this picture shows the easy access to the light switch.. under any type of skills , drills, and emergency episodes..
You're going to choke yourself with that thing! :BDub:
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

BDub wrote:

You're going to choke yourself with that thing! :BDub:
[sarcasm]I dont think so , this is the new break away light cord , in case of diver choking[/sarcasm]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

It has been a while since I've laughed that hard!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Perfect.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
spatman
I've Got Gills

How to attach a can light....

Post by spatman »

Lmao! Nice one, Chris!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Chris!
Jake and I said "aspheric" lens, not "asphyxiate"! :eek:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Good stuff chris!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Thats exactly how I dove with it tonight lol...

-Confucius