New Undergarments

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

New Undergarments

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

Hey y'all,

I currently dive the Fourth Element Arctic and it's cold here in Seattle! It also does not hold up well when flooded. That's why I'm going to thinsulate.

I've narrowed my choices to the Diving Concepts TPS Extreme, Santi 400BZ, and DUI Xm450. What does everyone think about the under suits?

Cheers!
Will
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Undergarments

Post by Norris »

I hear many people SWEAR by the weezle. If only there was someone on this board that could answer questions about that particular undergarment,,,
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

The Weezle stays warm by loft. I've heard that it sucks when wet. Thinsulate has been proven to stay warm when wet. Thats why I want thinsulate.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I have a USIA Exotherm III and I'm very well pleased with it. You might also check out their "Exotherm Superstretch" which is supposedly tested in the cold waters in Oregon and the Puget Sound.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

You planning to flood your suit a lot? :smt064 :smt064 :smt064

I assume you dive a shell suit, so my suggestions would be not-so-useful...(I dive a neoprene with a dive skin/fleece combo)
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

Not sure about 90 minute dives but I am very happy with 4th Element Halo + Xerotherm base layer.
spatman
I've Got Gills

New Undergarments

Post by spatman »

KaizerWilhelm wrote:The Weezle stays warm by loft. I've heard that it sucks when wet. Thinsulate has been proven to stay warm when wet. Thats why I want thinsulate.
The Weezle most definitely does NOT suck when wet.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

KaizerWilhelm wrote:The Weezle stays warm by loft. I've heard that it sucks when wet. Thinsulate has been proven to stay warm when wet. Thats why I want thinsulate.
You heard wrong. I'm not sure who would have told you that lttle bit of nonsense, but reality is quite the opposite!

If you don't believe me, check out this thread: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17536
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Staying warm while wet is 0ne of the best selling point's of the Weezle! Lot's of folks here will swear by them.
Life is good, let's dive!!
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

So how is the Weezle compared to the UGs I listed?
spatman
I've Got Gills

New Undergarments

Post by spatman »

KaizerWilhelm wrote:So how is the Weezle compared to the UGs I listed?
I can't comment on the UGs you listed, but I found the Weezle Extreme to be about the same as the Artics. I haven't tried the Extreme Plus personally, but I understand it is considerably warmer.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I have a weezle and its probably the warmest undergarment ive had.. And i;ve had multiple zipper leaks on my previous drysuit with this undergarment and it kepts me pretty warm when wet.

I love my weezle, the only gripe I have is it makes my legs floaty in my TLS.. but i guess you can fix it with some ankle weights body positioning and Jet or F1 fins.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

What are these 'ankle weights' you speak of????
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

whaddaya mean? I never said anything about ankle weights... :eek:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

must been a ninja. Time to bring the pirates out to fight them! :pirate:
spatman
I've Got Gills

New Undergarments

Post by spatman »

I had to use gaiters with my Weezle to help reduce the floaty legs.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hello, my name is Gdog, its been 5 days since my last dive, and I use ankle weights....
is there a 12 step progam available?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

New Undergarments

Post by Jeremy »

I like my Fourth Element Arctic, but then again I have no problem diving wet either.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I'm surprisingly a fan of my new Hollis undergarments. Wicked cheap in comparison to other undergarments, and really warm. The Aug100 is the lightest one they had. I get cold after about an hour or so, but the Aug200 is very very warm. I'll have more details on that after this weekend. $160 for the 200 I believe.

D
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

eliseaboo wrote:You planning to flood your suit a lot? :smt064 :smt064
+1

This cracked me up...

The idea of spending 3 or4 scuba units on an undergarment and being cold EVER just makes me twitch. So, taking no chances, when I did drop the coin I bought a Weezle Extreme Plus. I will NOT wear this suit in the Summer, but I am absolutely toasty warm right now in the coldest part of the year. Extra loft equals extra warmth and extra air, so I added a couple pounds to stay comfy and comfy I am!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Im using a thinsulate USIA undergarmet with a lyca I wear under it and I am extremly warm in the thinsulate... Al lof my mountaineering gear is thinsulate as well as it not only is very warm but it wicks away moisture, which is nice becuase when you are wearing a damp suit, oh wait I mean a dry suit... any bits of water that comes in is wicked away towards the top or it just beads up on the outerside of the undergarmet keeping the mositure inbetween the drysuit and the garmet for the most part. Anther gret thing about thinsulate is that not only is it pretty thin in comparison to alot of the other undergarmets i see people wearing, its very very durable. Plus it doubles as a adult onesy pajama that you can run around in when you are at a dive suit or just at home in privacy :bday:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The diving concepts TPS extreme is 200gm thinsulate. Not going to be any warmer than your artics.

I have not used the lastest "XM450" from DUI but I have used their old 400gm undies (which were cut horrible like a potatoe sack). When new they were roughly as warmer as my current weezle extreme+ but they broke down very fast.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mancub
Dive-aholic

New Undergarments

Post by mancub »

Will, If you get a weezle, make sure it is long enough. Errr, tall enough in the torso. I have a "small-tall/long". I have found that you need a little extra material as it doesn't stretch much. If you like touching your toes all the time :). Fortunately I tried one on first and got it sized perfectly.

I love the suit, it is every bit as wonderful to dive as multiple threads on here describe. My drysuit had a leak in the crouch and my boxers showed no signs of being wet when I finished the dive. I believe it has five layers, and they seem to work well at keeping water up/out and warmth in/against you. I'd also recommend being bare skinned in it, kind of like down sleeping bag warmth maximization. A few people in my crew have one. Might be able to snag a medium or large for you to try.

Good luck in the decision, I wish I could give a full report on the other suits for you! I know I always research user reviews on this sort of thing too! I'd venture to say you probably can't make a bad choice from your short list.

See you around. I'll be dropping by the shop soon.
Jacob
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

spatman wrote:
The Weezle most definitely does NOT suck when wet.
I wore my Weezel to shovel last month--while it was snowing--and I stayed toasty and dry inside the undergarment.
Kelly
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I'm not sure where you heard the weezle sucks when wet.... they're 180 degrees off course. You'll find the weezle is one of the BEST undergarments to have on when wet. Plus a weezle will outlive those expensive thinsulate suits.

The worst thing you can say about a weezle is that it likes to be fully lofted... you can run thinner on the air in your suit with thinsulate as the structure of the fibers allows for better insulation when compressed.

----edit too add---- guess i should read the whole thread...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy