Zeagle 911 BCD - Any good?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
amnesia
Just Settling In

Zeagle 911 BCD - Any good?

Post by amnesia »

I'm going to go look at a Zeagle 911 BCD that someone has for sale, just wondering what the concensus is on how good it is. Supposedly it's brand new but it's been sitting for a few years. Should I be worried about the air bladder being weakened from lack of usage for such a long period of time? I'm a new diver, building my collection of equipment, so I'm also curious if this BCD is a good investment long term as well as suitable for a new diver in the short term.

Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Zeagle 911 BCD - Any good?

Post by Jeff Pack »

Speaking as a not new, but relatively new diver, I too started with a weight integrated BC, and then migrated to a BP&W.

I found that separating the weight carrying, from the BC, just gives me alot more flexibility.

If you are price sensitive, then go with a weight integrated system if the price is right.

Also check scubaboard.com, people upgrading gear often sell things there as well.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

As a owner of a 12 year old 911 tech, yes they are good BCD's but for about the same price you cam get a BP/W. I will be selling my tech to get a BP/W soon. You might just want to start out with a BP/W, wish I would have.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I would probably avoid this BC unless it was really cheap and the only way you are able to start diving. I had a Zeagle Tech for a while and I found the bladder is excessively large for single tank diving. It was difficult to purge all the air from the bladder and I found the horseshoe shape allowed air to shift in uncomfortable ways. I also found that at the surface the BC would uncomfortably ride up until I added the crotch strap.

If you do look into this BC you should be aware that the waist and shoulder are sized separately. It might be more appealing if you were able to acquire a smaller bladder from a Zeagle Ranger to install on it. I do defiantly think that the Zeagle Ripcord system is one of the better ways to dump integrated weights.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
amnesia
Just Settling In

Post by amnesia »

I spoke with the gentleman on duty at a dive shop in Lynnwood and he said to avoid Zeagle because they're going to go out of business soon, at least that's the rumor, and I wouldn't be able to buy parts, then tried to steer me to the vests they had... Knowledgable sales pitch or lies lies lies?

And a newb questions... BP/W stands for what?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

amnesia wrote:I spoke with the gentleman on duty at a dive shop in Lynnwood and he said to avoid Zeagle because they're going to go out of business soon, at least that's the rumor, and I wouldn't be able to buy parts, then tried to steer me to the vests they had... Knowledgable sales pitch or lies lies lies?

And a newb questions... BP/W stands for what?
Let me guess that shop doesn't sell Zeagle? I will hazard another guess that a huge number of Zeagle and Diverite transpac divers here have eventually sold them for a backplate and wing (BP/W) setup.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Love my transpac
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

renoun wrote:I would probably avoid this BC unless it was really cheap and the only way you are able to start diving. I had a Zeagle Tech for a while and I found the bladder is excessively large for single tank diving. It was difficult to purge all the air from the bladder and I found the horseshoe shape allowed air to shift in uncomfortable ways. I also found that at the surface the BC would uncomfortably ride up until I added the crotch strap.

If you do look into this BC you should be aware that the waist and shoulder are sized separately. It might be more appealing if you were able to acquire a smaller bladder from a Zeagle Ranger to install on it. I do defiantly think that the Zeagle Ripcord system is one of the better ways to dump integrated weights.
What he said... I started out with this BC. I never could get the air to purge all the way and what I did get out, i had to put myself in some pretty contorted positions to do it. It had to have looked like disco night at Les Davis.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

For me, I actually prefer the Zeagle Tech. I like the lift and know how to manage the air cell. I own a DR Transpac, Transplate and Hollis BP and wing, but my everyday BCD is the Tech. To me it's more comfortable, and to me thats everything.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

The 911 is a good BC. If it fits you correctly, is in good shape and you can get it at a good price then go for it. I had a Tec (which is pretty much the same as the 911) for the first year after open water and it served me well.

The advise you got from the diveshop is pure bull sh@*t. For one, Zeagle has been around for awhile and has a good track record with their customers. I would be more worried that the diveshop would go out of business than worry about Zeagle. Also, there are very few parts on a BC that are specific to the manufacturer - so even if Zeagle went out of business you could still service it.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I dont know about the 911 but I do have a Zeagle Ranger. I did alot of research and found Zeagle to have a great reputation, be well made and have plenty of life in them due to being manufactured so well. I went with the Ranger because I was buying a used one due to fincial restraints and I found some reasonably priced ones online. But more importantly as one diver said alot of BCDs are very size specific. The ranger on the other hand I found to be very diverse when it came to sizing as you can manipulate ever strap, band, and part as the whole thing comes apart in to many peices and has many adjustments. I am currently looking to start making some changes to my gear to move more towards technical diving so I am considering selling the Ranger.

PM if your interested, I got a pretty good deal on it and am more then willing to pass on the savings that I was able to pick up when I bought it. It has plenty of life and dives left on it.
amnesia wrote:I'm going to go look at a Zeagle 911 BCD that someone has for sale, just wondering what the concensus is on how good it is. Supposedly it's brand new but it's been sitting for a few years. Should I be worried about the air bladder being weakened from lack of usage for such a long period of time? I'm a new diver, building my collection of equipment, so I'm also curious if this BCD is a good investment long term as well as suitable for a new diver in the short term.

Any help would be appreciated.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

i have a zeagle tech 10 and love it very comfortable i can always get the air out of mine every time so no problem there for me works great.
Anthony
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

They are all good. You need something to begin your career with. If it is in good condition, fits and the price is right this is as good a place to start as any.

Sure, you may become a gear head and migrate to something, or somethingS, else as you gain experience. Or, you may find this suits your needs just fine. It may not be perfect; but it works ok for you. At this point you don't know. Unfortunately there is no free way to find out unless you have friends who will lend you kit for an extended period.

On the bright side, these things always have a resale value. So, if more experience takes you a different way you can always sell it to someone else.

Zeagle going out of business? I really don't know and I'll wager the shop guy who told you they were doesn't either.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Zeagle makes damn good BCD's and several other things as well. They are built tough and will last a long time. The 911 is made for fire and rescue use so you know It's got to be tough. If your just getting started it should serve you well for as long as you like. I put several hundred dives on mine before switching and it's still fully operational and ready to dive.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I used a Zeagle 911 when I first started diving. Used it on many dives cold and warm water. Was very comfortable, easy to use, the ripcord setup was very nice... not so easy to re-thread, but not bad. I never had issues with dumping air once I figured it out and was used to it.

As ArticDiver said it will always have resale value. I sold mine for about the same as I bought it for when I went a different route with my diving.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Kelvininin
Avid Diver

Post by Kelvininin »

I have a Zeagle Tech, and love it. The only thing I don't like is the size, great for local diving, but not so great if you want to pack it away for a warm water dive trip.

I also heard the rumor about Zeagle going belly up but I don't buy it. They maybe working on trimming their product lines but I don't think they are going belly up.